"LOUD IS GOOD CONTEST"

Yes Doug,

Pooh Bear is exceptionally loud and has prooven himself worthy many times. I am an unprooven entity. My credentials are of course that I played in the same baritone line with Pooh Bear and did a pretty good job of drowning his sound out! That statement is up for debate.... Anyway the point is that there are a lot of people out there who just plain don't know what they are getting themselves into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at the "LOUD IS GOOD CONTEST"

I know perfectly well what I am getting into! But I don't know if I can get a contra LOUDer than Nuclear Holacaust volume level...and I know it is going to take more then that to win this contest!

^0^

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I won this thing last time it was held. I will not participate again though - mostly because I play a Bb horn now. And we aren't going to be able to do I&E's this year...I have rehearsal that night.

But my record is 168db. Go for it. It's doable.

Well, I won this thing last time it was held. I will not participate again though - mostly because I play a Bb horn now. And we aren't going to be able to do I&E's this year...I have rehearsal that night.

But my record is 168db. Go for it. It's doable.

I don't mean to be rude but that is impossible. I have worked as a sound tech and have used DB meters extensively...and sometimes even pull one out at drum corps shows. First of all, there is not a DB meter in the world that registers above 130. Secondly, 110 is the volume of a Metallica concert. Thirdly, 120 is the volume of a Jet engine at 100 yards away. Fourthly, 130 is the volume of a gun shot. Fifthly, any sound registering at 140 DBs for longer than 5 seconds would make you instantly deaf...permenantly. Sixthly, the loudest I have ever registered a drum corps was Phantom Regiment in 1996. In a standstill arc, they topped out at 115...which is pretty amazing in light of a jet engine being at 120. But 168? Impossible. Sorry. Again, not trying to be rude but this is one area where I am very knowledgable in.

Lastly, I plan to bring my DB meter to the DCA championships, also.

Edited by torn8o

I normally fully concur with my esteemed collegue, torn8o; however, having competed in the car audio arena for years, I can assure you there are meters that read over 130. RTA computers currently register up to 190 although the current record is around 172.

I normally fully concur with my esteemed collegue, torn8o; however, having competed in the car audio arena for years, I can assure you there are meters that read over 130. RTA computers currently register up to 190 although the current record is around 172.

Granted, there are probably some larger DB meters out there that do...but I doubt anyone is carrying anything other than a hand held to a drum corps show - and hand helds top out at 130. In any case, my point is that it's impossible for a hornline OR horn player to hit 168. The loudest I have ever got mine to read was 125 and that is holding the DB meter in the bell of my trumpet while playing as loud as possible.

Again, I'm not downplaying anyone or trying to be rude. I'm sure the guy who I was responding to can no doubt play extremely loud. I just think his DB quote is exaggerated is all.

It's not exaggerated - that's what I was told by the person holding the meter!!

I don't know anything about decibels. GREAT. Now I'll never know what my true reading was. <_<

The only other baritone at that contest was Frank Schoenbach of the Kilties. You can ask him what his reading was - mine was 2 decibels above his.

Edited by bumo27

I know perfectly well what I am getting into! But I don't know if I can get a contra LOUDer than Nuclear Holacaust volume level...and I know it is going to take more then that to win this contest!

^0^

Hey Shawn, just make sure this contest is AFTER our duet performance... or we can maybe do a "loud is good" duet... hummm that could make bleed people's ears!! ^0^

It's not exaggerated - that's what I was told by the person holding the meter!!

They give you a pile of *&^%&^ That's too bad.

I don't know anything about decibels. GREAT. Now I'll never know what my true reading was. <_<

Chances are, if he had the DB meter about 10 feet from you, it was between 110 and 115...if you are as loud as I think you might be. If you were swallowing the meter, easily in the mid to high 120s.

Tell you what, I will have mine at championships. I'd be glad to give you a reading. We can even take a cell camera and photpgraph it. LOL...you should make the photo into an avatar!

Just tell me where to meet you. It will be FUN! Oh, BTW, I've always loved the Bushwackers! Can't wait to see you guys.