Quarterfinals random thoughts and observations

oh and btw, that madison guard interview was hilarious... maybe he was really dizzy?

HAH!!!!!! b**bs b**bs

Him, and Mr. Moto. Our whole theater was almost in tears!!!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the same way about Crown, but the judges destroyed their music score for some reason and I think they ended up 10th. Hopefully better things for their music score in the coming days.

Drums. Good line, but not good enough.

Maybe the judges felt like docking Crown's horns for so many unisons & octaves, but whatever -- man, can that line blow. They knocked me over last year, and I'm happy to see them doing the same this year.

Which has me thinking -- I don't think Crown featured their drums very much. The design seemed to favor showing off the horns, which can imply that they don't want to expose the drums.

Exposure is the staff saying, "Check out how ######## these guys can play." Lack of exposure is usually... well, the opposite...

It was hard for me to tell, though. I just kept watching & listening to the horns instead.

Was in the Lincolnshire theater (Northern Chicago) - my thoughts:

Theater - 'bout 3/4 full and OH, SO LOUD!!! It was totally cool, and the loudest theater I've been in for this. Also, we didn't experience any cut out, save it be 'bout a few seconds, but the sound carried through, so no big deal.

The overall show...I agree, GIVE US THE DANG HIGH CAM...missed way too many cool moments cause the director had some weird facination with meaningless guard moments (not dissing guards, but the choices of shots made little sense)...and,

Rondo...I heard from a friend in California that the theater in Burbank nearly rioted (not kidding) when they heard his comment about the Crossmen Spanish speaking member ("I thought he said we're all getting tacos")...I thought it was funny, but that predominantly Latino theater audience didn't...be careful, Rondo...finally,

PLEASE GET RID OF JESSICA WHAT'S HER NAME...she is dreadful, annoying and a worthless addition to the broadcast (our theater actually clapped when her mic didn't come on that one time).

Shows -

Southwind was good, and seems to be getting better each year. Also, love their unique show concepts...

Cap Reg...a whole lot better than when I saw them a month ago in Madison. Actually loved this show.

Blue Stars...WELCOME BACK!!! My only issue was that I thought the monologs introducing each piece was way too syrupy...could have done without them.

Crossmen...god, I loved this show...fun, entertaining, and a great concept.

Colts...didn't grab me like it did earlier in the season...sorry...

Spirit...nice show...not incredible, not wow-ing, just nice

Glassmen...one of my favorites this year. A wonderful package...I hope Glassmen continue in this direction.

Madison...much cleaner than earlier this season, but still dirty. I really wanted to love this show, but it never made it there...but, still love the brothers, and always will.

Crown...another great product...consistent, fun, entertaining. Great body movement...showed great technique, plus very clean.

Boston...didn't do it for me. thought Crown was cleaner, but obviously judges didn't...this is why I don't judge.

Blue Knights...ok, before I get flamed, I will say the kids performed this show well...that said, I hated this show (from a design perspective)...plain dreck!

SCV...OMG, first time I saw it and was blown away. Jeff Pearson has started his tenure as director with a BANG...great concept, music, and production.

BLOOOOO...show was stronger earlier in the year, but they've seemed to peak way too soon...pity, cause I thought this show could have been top-3.

Cadets...way too much going on for me to understand it with one viewing. Not nearly as strong as last year.

Phantom...Just the opposite from Bloooo...show is light years better than when I saw them earlier in the year, and gave me goose bumps...THAT HORNLINE!!!

BD...Did not think they should have won visual, and thought they should have been behind Phantom...theme repeated way too many times.

Cavaliers...My favorite show of the year...PERIOD. I could watch this show everyday and still get fresh perspective. Bravo!!!

Yeah, I know this looks like a review, but these are my random thoughts and observations...

Colts: DCA Entertainment! Unfortunately, DCA Execution. Worth seeing.

Atlanta: Old school! Good grooves. Old Man River was tough to read, ensemble hanging by a thread. Picked up last 2/3 of the performance. Way to put some air in the horn! Solid 12th.

Glassmen: One of the night's favorites. Give 'em some credit, judges! Better than Scouts.

Scouts: Difference of opinion across the board. Judges had big range of scores (86-93) and audience had 180 degrees of response. Some clapped loudly. Some were glad it was over. Bought the new uni's. Didn't buy the show.

Blue Knights: Do designers pull this stuff out in January and say "the fans will LOVE this!"? Unfathomable. On merit, it was less than Glassmen.

Boston Crusaders: Individual displays of attitude and moxie carry over the intended duration and turn this performance into a head scratcher. What are they trying to accomplish? What is the identity? "New" Boston has become "Old" Cadets. And a B-version at that.

Carolina Crown: Right place. Wrong score. Head and shoulders above 8th. Visually stunning at times, both execution and ensemble. Superior horn material. Drums? Just because Dennis said so doesn't mean the ex in the battery was weak. Exposed parts played nicely. Great, great, great. Should extend spread as week progresses.

SCV: Visually insane. Too subtle musically? Perhaps. Score looks like they got benefit of the doubt across the board. Might have seen their best number tonight.

Bluecoats: Watch the corps and imagine them in green with a red sash. Are they the Scouts reincarnate? Score, drill, presence, bearing all suggest Madison. Finished climbing, however. Cadets are moving up.

Garfield: Maybe Mr. H has a point. Could watch this over and over. Better than '05. Ridiculous battery. How about some credit? Ridiculous visually. How about some credit? GE elements all in place. How can they not be given Championship consideration? Dirty? Watch it again. The spread is simply too big.

Regiment: In a word, overrated. Spread in the drum score is indefensible. Fewer risks than any of the top 4 in all captions. Have LOVED Regiment in the past ('05). 9/10 spread from the top? Not tonight.

Devs: Apollo Creed. Champions skill. All the tools. Knockout ability. Sassy. Saucey. Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee. Style to spare. And snares are just silly. Regiment beats 'em in drums? Come on.

Cavies: Rocky Balboa. Just keeps coming. Jab, jab, jab. Non stop for eleven minutes and then delivers the 15th round TKO. I had the spread a pinch bigger than .4. GE Vis, GE Music, ensemble vis, brass performance superior.

Aw, man -- I thought she was hot... :sshh: B)

Not as hot as some of the folks she interviewed b**bs b**bs b**bs

Regiment Horns and Drums killed me!

No way they will lose drums this year.

Loved the guard despite the drops, would have liked to see some of the drill, but whoever was directing REALLY liked the kid in the faust mask LOL

BD is better than in Atlanta, but still can't see why they are beating Regiment

Cavies are too much this year. I have never liked them to be honest, but this year they really have it.

I REALLY like their show.

something that was said about bluecoats, that i think was right on.. he said something to the effect that the bluecoats arent delivering at the end of their show, to compete with the top of the pack. the "top" corps know how to give the audience that final punch, and bluecoats simply didnt do that. seems they peaked a bit early, or maybe it was just their show design that held them back. hopefully theyll be even better next year