Quarterfinals Review!

After reading this topic one word keeps coming in my head

YEOUSA, YEOUSA, YEOUSA (excuse spelling)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gellio post: "BLUE KNIGHTS:

I really enjoyed the music - much more than I thought I would. Now that the postive is out of the way, how could this show have been scored so high? Was it cleaner than Madison and Glassmen? Somewhat - only when it was easier. When the drill called for anything remotely difficult there wasn't a straight line to be found. It was as dirty, if not dirtier, than Madison or Glassmen when the demand reached the levels of the demand found much more frequently in Madison's and Glassmen's drill, especially Madison's. The guard work design was unispired and ineffective, and the execution was not on the level of the Glassmen's guard. This was the only corps in the top 12 that didn't have one single moment that wowed you or even made you want to say "nice". Way overscored and placed way too high. If they would have finished 9th (behind Boston), I would have been fine with that. Placing them ahead of Madison and Glassmen is not out of line, but placing them ahead of Boston is, and this close to Crown - WAY out of line."

Given that no one has addressed this piece of your review, I felt compelled to do so.

As one of the "movie theater" announcers/commentators stated (my paraphrase) as they transitioned from the Scouts to BK, "The Scouts hit your viseral side; BK challenges your intellectual side." While I agree that the execution of the drill was less than stellar (still room to clean and score higher), the complexity of the music and the integration of the front line as a lead voice in the show was superior to those corps around them. The Barber Piano Concerto is often performed with choreography--which is what the guard members are doing during the performance. Their final score was quite consistent with where they have been placed by the judges during the past 10+ days, and--IMO--appropriate to the performances of these four corps at Quarterfinals.

BK shows historically have rarely produced the stand-up and scream moments you seem to seek. Their shows speak to a different part of the body--and that is not all bad!

DrGene

A drum corps person older than "MikeD"

Read my Semifinals review - I have a whole knew outlook on the Blue Knights. I have always liked the Blue Knights (usually always), and I felt tonight there were many great moments in this show. I admit I was completely and 100% incorrect about what I wrote last night. Just an FYI: This reply was done after I wrote my Semifinals review.

Edited by gellio