Madison Scouts Alumni Project!

Wow, by all accounts this will be considered one of the great moments in Drum Corps history.

Congratulations guys!!! You've made a former Scout well-up with pride.

Just a few open questions to any of the participants:

1. How the frig. did you pull this off??

2. Who wrote to musical scores? The Drill?

3. Did anyone get "bunched" in the process?

4. Please tell me there will be a DVD of the performance released at some point. I've only been able to catch a grainy video posted on Youtube.com. Any ideas when and where the public will be able to buy a DVD?

5. It sounds like there were a boatload of guys in the alumni project with whom I marched. Is there a list of participants?

Thanks for any replies,

Ron Minter

2nd Sop. 1976--1979

Yes, Doug Tholo got bunched by all the contras when they gave him a contra section t-shirt. It was fast and efficient, almost planned. I tryed to stop it, but decided to watch instead, which was much more fun.

Jed

Tenor 87-88

Edited by John Mayer

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, Wow!!

Dave Ranthom and his younger brother Mark were the duet for the baritone solo for the alumni corps solo for Malaguena?

Let me tell you how cool this is...

These guys grew up in a kicked- down area on of the east side in Madison. I grew up right next to them.

Their older sister Cathy, was a lead soloist baritone for the Capitolaires, an all-girl Drum Corps from Madison that was very competitve until the mid eighties.

She was (is) absolutely georgeous. She was married to Scott Stewart - long-time director of the Scouts.

This is cool because Dave Ranthum, who had the sweetest Baritone sound I've ever heard, whose family must be considered legendary among the Madison Scouts alumni , had the opportunity to perform a duet with his younger brother (who I must assume was also exceptionally talented) in his home town, with thousands of sceaming fans, twenty-five years after his "final" performance. Oh, by the way, he and his brother Nailed it!

It's a beautiful thing.

P.S. I remember Craig Mason's bogus drawn-on moustache. He was 15 and I paid attention because I was the same age at the time. As I recall it was in Dallas. Craig, Ken Miller and I all got lucky. Phone numbers, a swim in the girls' pool, etc., etc.

Ron Minter

we already have a thread on this

"

There are indeed other threads regarding the Reunion Project but none framing the question as it was asked (maybe your motivation is to squelch any further conversation of the topic??). Thus I shall respond accordingly. I marched with the Scouts from 1975 through 1981. We performed for some very raucous crowds over those years, especially in 1975! A large part of Madison's philosophy has always been to take the customer on an emotional roller coaster, to never leave them wanting (I can’t speak for today though) and to give, give and give some more until they reach their emotional pinnacle. There's nothing like 13 minuets of all out give and take. You feeding off the crowd and visa versa and leaving the field with the satisfaction that "the delivery was offered and accepted". By the way, isn’t that what it’s all about anyway? (I’m sorry, I digress). It was an unbelievable honor to perform again. One can hardly put into words the emotions. We went through our handful of practices experiencing meteoric improvement at each step. This fact in of itself was a miracle. As we looked into each others eyes there truly was a sense of destiny and duty. Never in our wildest dreams did any of us ever think we would be on the field together again. There was a strong sense of "don’t pinch me; I'm afraid I'll wake up! We knew that there was no settling for anything other then pure, unadulterated, no-holds bared Madison. 112 horns in the Key of G! (Sorry, if it were 112 in the key of B flat it still wouldn’t have delivered!) A monster us percussion line that was flawless and a guard that simply "threw down"! This was a once in a lifetime experience that probably wont be repeated. We wanted to give back to those that had been missing something for a long time and we wanted to give to others something they’ve never experienced before (and hopefully left them wanting!) We left it all on the field at Camp Randall Stadium. It was a complete gas! The stuff of legend! And in my 10 year old daughters eye's, she now thinks dad's her super hero! (That one does me in) You the crowd were the most deafening I think that I've ever performed for and we will never forget you, you were awesome!! Average age was something like 45 with a few extra pounds, but we didn’t notice, we hadn’t felt this alive in 30 plus years! Afterwards we sang what I believe was the most beautiful rendition of Never Walk that I've ever experienced. It was thunderous! Man I wish everyone could have experienced this!

Thanks for the question. It helps this 46 year old and a few others live again!

Sincerely,

JH

aka: "The Jester"

And may you! truly Never Walk Alone

Hey Minter,

This is from one of your old budies.

I just did this gig called the Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project.

It was a complete mind blowing, freeking gas!

I wish you were their.

Never the less, great to hear from you and "please" send your contact info. to the Reunion website!

Yours truly,

Jerry Hundt

And may you Never Walk Alone!

Great post JH. I marched with the Scouts from 1984 through 1988, and it was an unbelievable, indescribable thrill to participate in the alumni reunion corps this year, for so many reasons. For a few days over the past 6 months, I was back with my fellow Scouts—not in a new senior corps, but with 220+ other Scouts, back in a Madison Corps again! In addition, I got to march with drum major Doug Tholo and many other heroes from every section of one of my favorite corps of all time, the great 1978 Madison Scouts.

Yes, thank you very much ODBC for the question. (By the way, before I go any further, if you’re sick of hearing about the MSARP, it’s simple—don’t read the related posts/threads!)

Where to start?

- It was an incredible reunion! Many wonderful friendships were re-energized. In addition, I was able to re-connect and really get to know several brothers with whom I did not spend enough time as a bratty 17-21 year-old.

- Since my rookie season was 1984 (Eisenhower jackets for the horn and drum lines, white shirt/green pants for the guard), I did not get to wear what I consider the very best, most studly uniform in all of Madison Scouts history . . . until last week. For those of us that did not wear it when we marched (AND those who did) it was totally cool to see ourselves in that uni. We like to call it the “Superman Suit” – it truly felt like it!!

- One of my favorite DCI video moments is Malaguena from 1980 – fortunately for us guard buffs, the camera caught almost all of the rifle line’s book that year. It was an unbelievable thrill and honor to perform the same work to the same music that the great Ralph Viray, Randy Black, and Dave Beckman (and so many others—I think it was those 3 on camera; someone please correct me if I’m wrong) did that legendary year. I hope we did you proud, guys.

- On Wednesday night of finals week we had the privilege of watching the 2006 Scouts’ show and performing for them. That was a really cool experience. After the show we joined forces with the 2006 corps and alumni in attendance to sing our corps song together under the direction of fellow alum and current instructor Scott Boerma. So beautiful!

- Friday eve and almost all day/night on Saturday were spent at the Stadium Bar across the street from Camp Randall at the best post-DCI party ever. We could not get enough of each other and our semi-finals video . . . again, if you don’t/didn’t like it—leave! Lots of great memories, old and new.

All that said, I should stress how much we fully appreciate and loved the amazing support from the crowd on Friday. I hope that everyone still in the stadium last Friday enjoyed our Remembrance as much as we did.

Finally, while I’m on here, a few random thoughts and my wish list for the future:

- Cavaliers – WOW, what a show. Full respect to your great corps; you guys truly were a machine. (Note: The 50th anniversary flag that we carried in the MSARP show was given to us in 1988 by the Cavaliers. That’s class.)

- Cavies and Regiment, thank you for bringing something new to drum corps – respectful of the activity’s roots, yet creative, modern, and captivating. Two beautiful shows!

- I would like to see another Regiment DCI title – all by themselves. Your shows the past two years—and so many before that (e.g. 1994)—have been absolutely transcendent.

- I would like to see a Regiment reunion corps! Just do a 1978-1982 medley and I will be in heaven.

- To the 2006 Scouts – Well done, gentlemen . . . I know that we in the MSRP are all so proud of you. While I certainly don't support Michael Cesario as a Madison staff member/uniform designer, I’ll always love my corps and respect and honor my fellow alums.

Marc G

Chicago

PS: Illinois 1 and 2 at DCI 06! Cali-where?

Edited by Marker773

No apologies necessary... that's amazing!!! :lol::worthy::blink::blink::wacko:

Here are a few more pictures one from Wednesday night and two from the front sideline on Friday night.

Enjoy! :blink:

757333-R1-041-19.jpg

757423-R1-029-13.jpg

757423-R1-035-16.jpg

"

There are indeed other threads regarding the Reunion Project but none framing the question as it was asked (maybe your motivation is to squelch any further conversation of the topic??). Thus I shall respond accordingly. I marched with the Scouts from 1975 through 1981. We performed for some very raucous crowds over those years, especially in 1975! A large part of Madison's philosophy has always been to take the customer on an emotional roller coaster, to never leave them wanting (I can’t speak for today though) and to give, give and give some more until they reach their emotional pinnacle. There's nothing like 13 minuets of all out give and take. You feeding off the crowd and visa versa and leaving the field with the satisfaction that "the delivery was offered and accepted". By the way, isn’t that what it’s all about anyway? (I’m sorry, I digress). It was an unbelievable honor to perform again. One can hardly put into words the emotions. We went through our handful of practices experiencing meteoric improvement at each step. This fact in of itself was a miracle. As we looked into each others eyes there truly was a sense of destiny and duty. Never in our wildest dreams did any of us ever think we would be on the field together again. There was a strong sense of "don’t pinch me; I'm afraid I'll wake up! We knew that there was no settling for anything other then pure, unadulterated, no-holds bared Madison. 112 horns in the Key of G! (Sorry, if it were 112 in the key of B flat it still wouldn’t have delivered!) A monster us percussion line that was flawless and a guard that simply "threw down"! This was a once in a lifetime experience that probably wont be repeated. We wanted to give back to those that had been missing something for a long time and we wanted to give to others something they’ve never experienced before (and hopefully left them wanting!) We left it all on the field at Camp Randall Stadium. It was a complete gas! The stuff of legend! And in my 10 year old daughters eye's, she now thinks dad's her super hero! (That one does me in) You the crowd were the most deafening I think that I've ever performed for and we will never forget you, you were awesome!! Average age was something like 45 with a few extra pounds, but we didn’t notice, we hadn’t felt this alive in 30 plus years! Afterwards we sang what I believe was the most beautiful rendition of Never Walk that I've ever experienced. It was thunderous! Man I wish everyone could have experienced this!

Thanks for the question. It helps this 46 year old and a few others live again!

Sincerely,

JH

And may you! truly Never Walk Alone

Well said Jerry!

As for the few extra pounds you could say there was another hundred guys worth of girth out there! :P But the most obvious indicator of that was how sashes that used to ride across our abdomens now somehow end up on our upper chest! it was all good though at about 25 yards and further we looked pretty good!