ESPN2 Finals Broadcast

That ESPN broadcast is not designed for you, the typical drum corps fan, to get your full Finals thrills. If you want that, you either go to the show, watch the Cinecast in the theater on Thursday, or you enjoy the live stream on Friday. I think DCI is being more than fair while protecting their product and the corps who stand to make money from DVD and CD sales. The ESPN show is designed to give the casual fan or the newbie a look at something that is very different from marching band and the typical football band routine and ideology.
This argument would be valid if even a single show were shown from start to finish. Otherwise, the newbie simply can't fully appreciate what drum corps is all about--and if the newbie can't really appreciate it, then how likely is it that the newbie will be drawn in? It's like showing someone who's never seen a baseball game a clip of a guy swinging a bat, a guy throwing a ball, and a guy sliding into home and asking them if they like the game.

Of course DCI has to protect it's product--but showing a single show in its entirety--or even--dare I say it--two shows :unsure:--isn't cutting into profits. Anyone who would be satisfied with the the winning performance is not someone who would be buying finals dvds in any event.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean it's not about "the kids"? Oops sorry...couldn't resist...

LOL! :P

I guess Canada doesn't apply for the mass audiance. ESPN2 doesn't come on Canadian regular cable. I guess I need to get a satalite or go to the states. I wonder if ESPN2 is shown in Europe?

Wad

Edited by ScottHeerca

I think it's amazing how, only a few years ago, we were begging & pleading to get Finals on ESPN. Now we've got it, and we're STILL whining about how it's not good enough!

The ESPN deal is, as someone else said, a marketing tool for the masses. It's something to promote the activity -- not a comprehensive archive of the week's events for us "junkies" to watch. I happen to appreciate what they're doing on the broadcast, and I wouldn't change a thing. I think it's exactly what the activity needs.

On the other hand, I still buy all of the DVDs every year so I can watch the shows in full. We DO have the best of both worlds right now. We have an excellent INTERNATIONAL marketing tool on ESPN, putting our product in front of many, many more people than PBS ever could. We also have a complete selection of championship week recordings available to purchase, if we wish to watch the shows in their entirety.

Getting into shows ain't free, and the viewing of the shows on TV shouldn't be, either. I think we're incredibly fortunate to have the multitude of options that are present today, and I for one have no problem with purchasing the DVDs AND watching the broadcast. I guess what I'm trying to say is: Buy the DVDs, and stop whining about the broadcast not being good enough.

Have a nice day.

Secondly, Mount Union College now offers degrees in music education, music performance, and the Bachelor of Arts degree. I have a little over 100 in the marching band, and I have two outstanding concert groups, the Wind Ensemble and the Concert Band. The college has many new facilities, and it supports many other fine music ensembles. It is a great place.

MUC is a great place! I grew up down the street, and I remember when there were 30 in the marching band there before Destefano took over.

The old PBS shows from 1988-1992 were great enough for me. When I watched 1988, I had not even made it to high school (so I had not even marched at all yet). It was my first exposure to drum corps and got me out to a show the next summer.

Apparently kids today just wouldn't care for that, or is it that PBS didn't want to show it anymore?

I thought they did a decent job with the show. My wife, who unfortunately doesn't really care for drum corps at all, actually enjoyed the show. If you know what to expect, it isn't bad.

I do think it got pretty good ratings last year, too. I don't know what impact that had on this season, but hopefully it will generate something positive for the future.

Edited by Tekneek