ESPN2 Finals Broadcast

i just watched the latest edition of "the beat' on dci.org and rondo did say there would be "more drum corps" on this year's broadcast.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When somebody who knows nothing about the activity thinks these kids are putting in all these long hours for a 3 minute show, the whole idea begins to sound quite silly. Maybe now you get the point. They should stress they are only showing a portion of that units full program to keep it from looking totally foolish to the clueless out there.

In every broadcast I've seen (including last years), there's usually alot of stress on the fact that the shows are 11 and a half minutes. "We do all this for 11 and a half minutes", etc etc etc. I remember knowing nothing about drum corps and coming from a band that did 7 minute shows, and still knew that a drum corps show was obviously longer than the 2 minute clips. Sure, some people might get confused by it, but honestly that's their fault, not DCI's.

You all just want free drum corps. Get a decent job, save your money and get the DVDs. Don't want the DVDs? Then watch shows streaming live from the regionals. Not good enough for you? How about the live 5 hour cinecast of quarter finals? Oh, also not good enough? How about seeing one of the 152 live performances each summer? No? OK, how about a live stream with multi cams of Semis? Not good enough? I guess there's no pleasing you then.

Everyone is a drum corps marketing expert. Everyone is a criitic. To bad all thet energy doesn't go into spreading something positive about the activity.

17. How did you first hear about the drum and bugle corps activity?

Friend or Family Member in Drum Corps 33%

Band Director 20.8%

Attended a show 14.6%

Saw advertisement 1.7%

Saw DCI on PBS 15.9%

Recruited directly by a drum & bugle corps 5.5%

Other 8.6%

Someone pointed this DCW survery to me in another thread. This one small part shows that a large amount of people find out about the activity on TV. Thats how I found out about in 1980. Having a decent telecast is the best way to grow the activity.

Why is Cheerleading on TV, Rock Paper sisscors, hot dog eating contest. They show the activity not how to throw a girl 20 feet into the air. they show them doing it. Show what we do, show the full show even if it's only the top 4.

I think DCI needs to decide why it's going to be on TV.

i just watched the latest edition of "the beat' on dci.org and rondo did say there would be "more drum corps" on this year's broadcast.

That just means shorter show times and more cuts, doesn't it?

You all just want free drum corps. Get a decent job, save your money and get the DVDs. Don't want the DVDs? Then watch shows streaming live from the regionals. Not good enough for you? How about the live 5 hour cinecast of quarter finals? Oh, also not good enough? How about seeing one of the 152 live performances each summer? No? OK, how about a live stream with multi cams of Semis? Not good enough? I guess there's no pleasing you then.

Everyone is a drum corps marketing expert. Everyone is a criitic. To bad all thet energy doesn't go into spreading something positive about the activity.

nice rant...

Mind if I join you (albeit at a alight expense to you, 2CoolVK)?

Thou hast fully sundered the opinions of all who shall consider themselves so-called, as you say, "critics." Such a life is poison to the soul. Thine genius has become quite apparent - even to the most cataract-ridden of all that dare mince words with thee. They shall bow deeply, and upon bended-knee begin to wail and gnash their teeth as in the throes of a wild boar recently skewered on a pike. All shall see and hear and know, for thine argument is most insurmountable. Thou hast made clear thine edict: it has been sent down from the Ivory Tower. The written word is unfolded, scrutinized and aggreed upon.

The announcement for all to bear witness is such:

:lol:

I seriously hope you can laugh at my snide words, 2Cool. All in good humor, I assure you.

Go VK!

Exactly. I was very disappointed with the ESPN broadcast last year. It was no different than it was on PBS. There is so much potential to improve the event on a major network...

I thought it was almost worse in someways then on PBS--I thought all shows were cut down pretty seriously! Talk-talk-talk to make it look all hip and everything and then blow through 2 seconds of a show...

Patience everyone!!!! You have to remember that this ESPN Broadcast is still in its infancy. Not sure if everyone is old enough to remember the very first PBS broadcasts they were pretty bad. I think as the ESPN2/DCI relationship grows that the shows will be tweaked and improved just like the PBS shows were over the years! Give DCI and ESPN2 sometime!

They had like 3 minute clips of the last 8 to perform, with the clips getting longer the higher seeded the corps, and ~30 seconds of Spirit, Glassmen, BK, and SCV, along with several pieces about what drum corps is about...

ESPN2 has nothing to do with the content of the broadcast.

The show is produced by the same team that did the last several years of PBS shows.

The show will be very much like it was last year.

It is a 2 hour commercial for drum corps. It will never satisfy all fans. In fact, it probably will never satisfy fans as it's intended to reach beyond our current fan base.

Yes, there are 100's of ways the show could be done differently. For now, this is the way it is.

For those that think they should show full shows - what do you tell Blue Knights, Crown or Santa Clara when they get knocked out of the show? There is only so much room in a two hour show. There also has to be commercials to allow DCI to even have the airtime in the first place. How do you decide who gets a full show? What do you tell the corps that don't get full shows? DCI is the corps themselves and they have input into the broadcast. We all get full shows or we all get highlights. Equality.

The ESPN show is designed to showcase drum corps' variety. It's a highlights show looking into one night in Madison with some features that help explain how the corps all got there.

The average guy at home will not sit through 11 minutes of Blue Knights. He just won't.

A mix of show highlights, features and interviews is what DCI has determined they want to include in the show. They are paying for the airtime, so they have complete control over what goes on the air.

Again, if fans want full shows, there are several ways they can get them.

The ESPN show is what it is and DCI considers it to be a huge success. Can't argue with that.

Edited by 2CoolVK