Thoughts on Finals!

Maybe it's because placement is not made solely on Brass Scores. I mean come on folks, the BK show this year was chalked full of hard core drill and very exposed music and sets Not to mention you might not like their marching style, but it is extremely uniform!!!. If you think what they were performing and doing so at a high level was easy than you are the fools for thinking it. I said it after the SA show, if Crown finished 12th in percussion they would not be 7th. I too loved their sound but found the show to be much drier than the past couple of years and maybe that has to do with why the GE scores for them were not higher. The show was not easy, but it was not stretching the limits as far as visual impact go. Crown is an incredible corps with one of my favorite horn sounds in the activity, but even if I weren't an ex-Blue Knight, I would be in love with their horn sound too. So what's with all the complaining? Both BK and Crown in the not too distant past were out of finals completely and I am sure they are happy to Duke it out every year for an elite spot rather than clawing to get a finalsit spot at all. A great accomplishment by both corps and a wonderful year!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Bk '97 '98

BK was great. My problem is Crown was low-balled across the board - brass, visual performance, GE. I loved BK and I am happy for them - they must be thrilled and they deserve to be. You have to remember Wes that these are all opinions and none of us on here are qualified to judge. I hear all the time on here that we shouldn't have won in 1988, but that doesn't take that accomplishment away from me. At the end of the day, I still have that ring because a panel of qualified judges determined I should have it, regardless of all those who think they were wrong - they are qualified. I do think Crown got hosed, but that doesn't take away from that fact that qualified judges thought differently. If any of us were capable, we'd be on the field judging. Be proud of your corps, this was their best outing since 2000 IMO.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comments I heard tonight at intermission:

"Boy, Carolina Crown corps was really good -- by far the best of the night so far!"

and, "Carolina Crown is so Phantom-Regiment-like, with their poise, great brass sound and all-around showmanship. Their white uniforms look somewhat like Regiment's too."

Those same people booed loudly when Crown's placement was announced.

Me too. <**>

On a much brighter note, congratulations to Phantom Regiment for their very strong finish. :P

A pretty cool way to end their fiftieth anniversary year, and their first DCI finals ever that they took top honors in percussion. Way to go, Rockford! :unsure:

Comments I heard tonight at intermission:

"Boy, Carolina Crown corps was really good -- by far the best of the night so far!"

and, "Carolina Crown is so Phantom-Regiment-like, with their poise, great brass sound and all-around showmanship. Their white uniforms look somewhat like Regiment's too."

Those same people booed loudly when Crown's placement was announced.

Me too. <**>

On a much brighter note, congratulations to Phantom Regiment for their very strong finish. :P

A pretty cool way to end their fiftieth anniversary year, and their first DCI finals ever that they took top honors in percussion. Way to go, Rockford! :unsure:

Crown actually reminded me so much of the Cadets of old. The drill just flowed perfectly. It was a wonderful design and they executed so well. There was definitely audible disappointment in Vanguard's and Crown's placements. I couldn't help but wonder how the crowd would have reacted if Phantom had won. They certainly went nuts for both Phantom and Cavies before, during and after their shows....then they went nuts when Phantom was announced in 2nd. I so was hoping to hear Cavies announced in 2nd, but they deserved the title.

Edited by gellio

Before I forget, thanks, gellio, for sharing your comments with us this week. I know you took some flak for your quarterfinals review; but, having written a few reviews myself over the years, I appreciate the fact you made the effort to give us your take on the 2006 championship week in Madison. Nice job. :)

BK was great. My problem is Crown was low-balled across the board - brass, visual performance, GE. I loved BK and I am happy for them - they must be thrilled and they deserve to be. You have to remember Wes that these are all opinions and none of us on here are qualified to judge. I hear all the time on here that we shouldn't have won in 1988, but that doesn't take that accomplishment away from me. At the end of the day, I still have that ring because a panel of qualified judges determined I should have it, regardless of all those who think they were wrong - they are qualified. I do think Crown got hosed, but that doesn't take away from that fact that qualified judges thought differently. If any of us were capable, we'd be on the field judging. Be proud of your corps, this was their best outing since 2000 IMO.

Nobody could take it away from you because you deserved to be champs. Madison '88 was how I got my interest started start into drum corps. I just hope that everyone who booed realized how classless it was to do so. Those 16- 21 year old kids busted their AS### off and didn't deserve that. if you didn't like the judging ok, but to boo? Rude and obnoxious come to mind!!!

Wes Perkins

Bk '97 '98

My 2007 Dream:

1. SCV

Nobody could take it away from you because you deserved to be champs. Madison '88 was how I got my interest started start into drum corps. I just hope that everyone who booed realized how classless it was to do so. Those 16- 21 year old kids busted their AS### off and didn't deserve that. if you didn't like the judging ok, but to boo? Rude and obnoxious come to mind!!!

Wes Perkins

Bk '97 '98

I don't approve a booing either. You have to know though - they weren't booing the Blue Knights. They got a thunderous applause at the end of their show and a standing-O. They were booing because they thought Crown should have placed higher.

Gellio,

Thank you for your reviews. I read everything your wrote from quarters to finals and appreciated you honest comments. :unsure:

I want to happily congratulate the Cavaliers and Phantom. A huge 135 person high five to my corps the Cavaliers :unsure:

The perfomed a show so well that was cut out for them like a Le Glove over the hand. Their show IMO was pure genius.

Phantom, this year you made my heart sing, congrats!!

Edited by deftguy