Thoughts on Finals!

I just know that one of my son's first comments after getting off the plane this morning was about getting booed by 25,000 people!!

However, it didn't ruin his exhilaration over the great show and effort that the Blue Knights had at Finals!

dks

Tell him that after watching the quaterfinals broadcast, I love the show so much that I put up a Blue Knights window decal in my car to proudly show my support. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just know that one of my son's first comments after getting off the plane this morning was about getting booed by 25,000 people!!

I don't think the Blue Knights got booed, I think the crowd was booing the placement for Carolina Crown. There was still applause when they announced the placement for Blue Knights (I could hear it on my buddy's cell phone). :)

Edited by PeeWee

I don't think the Blue Knights got booed, I think the crowd was booing the placement for Carolina Crown. There was still applause when they announced the placement for Blue Knights (I could hear it on my buddy's cell phone). :)

Is there a difference?

I can remember being booed in Madison in 99 when my corps (BK) beat the Scouts in Quarters and Semis. The applause when we lost to them in Finals was deafening, and lasted a full minute. I was 17, and I was crushed. I bet this years Blue Knights felt the same way.

BK was great. My problem is Crown was low-balled across the board - brass, visual performance, GE. I loved BK and I am happy for them - they must be thrilled and they deserve to be. You have to remember Wes that these are all opinions and none of us on here are qualified to judge. I hear all the time on here that we shouldn't have won in 1988, but that doesn't take that accomplishment away from me. At the end of the day, I still have that ring because a panel of qualified judges determined I should have it, regardless of all those who think they were wrong - they are qualified. I do think Crown got hosed, but that doesn't take away from that fact that qualified judges thought differently. If any of us were capable, we'd be on the field judging. Be proud of your corps, this was their best outing since 2000 IMO.

Gellio, or anyone else for that matter, do you know if judges (consciously or unconciously) penalize a great hornline if the drumline is struggling? Were there tears between the drumline and hornline? I'm just wondering if one of these might be why their brass scores were so low. Of course, it seems that the judging community has to be hit over the head by the "newcomers" (ie challengers to the elite) before they will reward them with scores that truely reflect their performance.

Edited by Medeabrass

Is there a difference?

I can remember being booed in Madison in 99 when my corps (BK) beat the Scouts in Quarters and Semis. The applause when we lost to them in Finals was deafening, and lasted a full minute. I was 17, and I was crushed. I bet this years Blue Knights felt the same way.

I remember 1992, when The Cavaliers won Semi's and the crowd went nuts. Those kids from Star must have felt terrible. I felt great, because all of the work that I had put into the summer had been rewarded.

I agree with those folks that think booing any of these corps (thereby booing the kids marching) is ridiculous and just can't be explained away by saying things like:

"I don't think the Blue Knights got booed, I think the crowd was booing the placement for Carolina Crown. There was still applause when they announced the placement for Blue Knights (I could hear it on my buddy's cell phone)."

and

"No, it wasn't classless, rude or obnixious at all. The score and placement for Carolina Crown was booed briefly, but followed immediately by a prolonged standing ovation that lasted through BK's score announcement. Crown clearly got the message that the crowd thought they were robbed."

These arguements don't hold any merit, IMHO. By booing the placement of Crown, a person is automatically booing the placement of BK. The kids on the field during Retreat heard it, I guarantee you that.

These kids are not "professionals". They do not deserve to be booed at any time, irregardless of your corps allegiance or your thoughts concerning scores/placements. If you have a problem with the scores, save your booing for folks that get paid to perform.....

Is there a difference?

I've been there man and I hear ya. Maybe the judges are the ones being booed but at the time it certainly doesn't feel like it does it? If nothing else, it's the crowd blatantly saying we think you're over-rated if nothing else. As I've gone to many more shows since I aged out and seen many situations where I think a corps is ripped off, I've come to see what they mean by booing the judges. I don't do it when I disagree with them because I know how the kids will feel but I kinda understand better now and don't take as much offense.

I can understand that it must suck to get reactions like that, but honestly, you can't be "crushed" that a partisan Madison crowd was happy to see their boys pass their toughest competition on the final night of the season. I mean, what did you expect? Polite applause for all parties involved?

Edited by Sleep Dirt

its the midwest - people boo and cheer for "their" team

even when its a youth activity

I must of missed the part where Carolina Crown moved to the midwest!! :laugh: