Thoughts on Finals!

When BK 06 members remember this season, it will not be one of disappointment for the score reaction at finals. The core of the group is members from the '03 season where we finished 13th .15 out of finals. Many have perspective of experiencing finals from the seats and not on the field. I'm not excusing people who do such activities, but it must be looked at in perspective. The Blue Knights organization has always been one without a huge fan base in the Midwest. Also, most people do not understand the scoring in DCI - even “educated” and experienced people here on DCP. Even announcers from DCI on public broadcasts – who are “legendary” drum corps personalities – have a hard time saying anything nice about the corps. I think, for the most part, this is understood by people in the organization. What the Blue Knights of 06 should always remember is that they did beat Crown at finals and also home showed them too. They did not continue the curse of Madison (ie 13th loosing to a div 2 corps in 02 and dropping a placement by loosing to Madison at finals '99). They were a box 5 drum corps for the first time since 2000 – something I never experienced. They again were within tenths of beating SCV (which has never happened). They made finals for the third year in a row and placed higher than most ever thought they would. Most importantly – I think – the show was accessible to many people this year and picked up some more fans who are starting to understand the corps.

Well done to everyone who competed this year especially the 7-15 corps. Wow what a year for the middle of the pack. I hope in the future that another 13th place corps (the Colts this year) has the chance to unseat another top 8 corps on finals night and create this much controversy.

Edited by Anonymous

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When BK 06 members remember this season, it will not be one of disappointment for the score reaction at finals. The core of the group is members from the '03 season where we finished 13th .15 out of finals. Many have perspective of experiencing finals from the seats and not on the field. I'm not excusing people who do such activities, but it must be looked at in perspective. The Blue Knights organization has always been one without a huge fan base in the Midwest. Also, most people do not understand the scoring in DCI - even “educated” and experienced people here on DCP. Even announcers from DCI on public broadcasts – who are “legendary” drum corps personalities – have a hard time saying anything nice about the corps. I think, for the most part, this is understood by people in the organization. What the Blue Knights of 06 should always remember is that they did beat Crown at finals and also home showed them too. They did not continue the curse of Madison (ie 13th loosing to a div 2 corps in 02 and dropping a placement by loosing to Madison at finals '99). They were a box 5 drum corps for the first time since 2000 – something I never experienced. They again were within tenths of beating SCV (which has never happened). They made finals for the third year in a row and placed higher than most ever thought they would. Most importantly – I think – the show was accessible to many people this year and picked up some more fans who are starting to understand the corps.

Well done to everyone who competed this year especially the 7-15 corps. Wow what a year for the middle of the pack. I hope in the future that another 13th place corps (the Colts this year) has the chance to unseat another top 8 corps on finals night and create this much controversy.

I was one of about, oh - maybe 6 people in the stadium who was NOT surprised to see Blue Knights move up on Saturday night. Their perfomance was outstanding. I think most people really had a problem listening to/understanding the music. As one fan put it: "If I just turn off the sound and watch the show, then I really like it!"

You have to respect what BK has done over the past 4-5 years... just slowly get better and better. Something is definately happening right in Denver!

And I agree about #7 - 15 corps. Those slots were as competitive this season as I've ever seen it.

I suggest that if BK wants to develop more of a fan base, that they play more accessible music (i.e. no more Bartok, less dissonance, not a full show of mixed-meter music with little melody, etc.) and play music that they haven't already played 2-3 times in the past (i.e. no more Triccico, and nor more Bartok). I appreciate their marching, playing, and spinning ability, but their music selections seem to make a lot of people work too hard to understand/enjoy them.

When have they played Bartok?

:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing :P

My bad - Barber. Their music this year was some of the same stuff they played the last time finals were in Madison (and they didn't make finals that year). And they've played Trittico at least 2 or 3 different seasons, with references to it in other shows - enough! Now, I'm not asking for them to play cartoon music, either, though - that didn't go over so well, either.

Would you rather they play Shostakovich, a drum corps staple?

... oops, sorry, that was in the 2002 show as well ^0^

Just some thoughts. I only went to semi-finals and didn't catch all the corps there.

I think some were bluuueing the Blue Knights because they had them confused with Bluecoats. At least in the section I was sitting in at semi's, lower level near the fifty.

I thought that Crown had a nice sound. They were significantly louder than Vanguard. But at Semi's Crown had a baritone player go down and nearly take out three other baritone players in the process of trying to get back up. Vanguard was cool with their perpetual motion thing, which the one soprano player was doing even in the parking lot area in full uniform from the start of semi's, long before they went on.

I missed a lot of the upper corps because the corps busses were parked so far away from the stadium. My priority at the time was to meet and greet with the kids I had partially sponsored this past season. Which I did manage to do, but ended up walking to the corps busses twice during Semi's to do so. And missed like six or seven of the top twelve in the process. I probably would have missed more if there wasn't an intermission.

I think some were bluuueing the Blue Knights because they had them confused with Bluecoats. At least in the section I was sitting in at semi's, lower level near the fifty.

In the theater, some new drum corps people must have seen everyone Bluuuing the 'Coats, because they decided to Bluuu the Devils as well. :blink: