Thoughts on Finals!

Just got home, am tired and have to get up at 5:00 AM to fly home, so just a few thoughts.

I'm not even sure how to construct this. It was crazy that the judging has been so consistent all season and it was all over the place tonight. I really noticed Glassmens flag designs tonight and they are so ugly. Coats had the most beautiful flags. Glassmen and Spirit were good, and their scores suffered becasue they were the bottom two corps. I agreed with Madison beating Boston, simply because their drill was tougher and not much dirtier, and their brass was much better. I still think Crown got hosed big time. I think they should have been right up there in terms of brass (I had them 4th) and in visual performance, they were was good as Coats, Vanguard and Cadets. BK was great. The crowd really seemed to like this show, and there were a lot of wonderful moments. It's good to see them back and so well off. I was surprised Coats got 4th. I thought it was going to go Cadets, Vanguard, then Coats, but as I said all week - it was so tight between these three, it could go any way, and tonight that's the way it went. I am happy for Coats - they must be thrilled. Congrats Blooo on your great season. I thought all three of these corps stepped it up. Vanguard's visual design really was better than Coats and Cadets, and I thought they executed it better too. I am assuming brass and percussion put these three in the order they finished. As soon as Blue Devils finished their performance I knew that they were going to finish third. Phantom was THAT good tonight. I thought they should have been about 1.5 behind Devils last night, but not tonight. They (Regiment) put on one #### of a show. Cavies were great, but you know, people get so caught up in all the visual stuff that I think they lose sight of the execution - they had some problems tonight. There were many a lines that weren't straight, but the same can be said for anyone else. Still don't know how they won brass. Thought they were better than Devils in brass tonight, but I thought Phantom was better than both. I was really hoping Phantom would win, in fact, because I thought they were that good. With their brass and percussion, and a good GE score it was obviously possible. I was pretty bummed they didn't win, because it would have been great if they had. All in all, a really great night of drum corps, and what fun it was with everyone flip-flopping every where. Didn't hear captions beyond brass and percussion because we headed out. I really do think that was the best year of drum corps in a long time.

Favorite show: Regiment

Favorite guard: Cadets

Favorite brass: Regiment

Favorite drums: Regiment

Favorite visuals: Cavies

Victim of the biggest hose job in the history of DCI: Crown (IMO)

Edited by gellio

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home, am tired and have to get up at 5:00 AM to fly home, so just a few thoughts.

I'm not even sure how to construct this. It was crazy that the judging has been so consistent all season and it was all over the place tonight. I really noticed Glassmens flag designs tonight and they are so ugly. Coats had the most beautiful flags. Glassmen and Spirit were good, and their scores suffered becasue they were the bottom two corps. I agreed with Madison beating Boston, simply because their drill was tougher and not much dirtier, and their brass was much better. I still think Crown got hosed big time. I think they should have been right up there in terms of brass (I had them 4th) and in visual performance, they were was good as Coats, Vanguard and Cadets. BK was great. The crowd really seemed to like this show, and there were a lot of wonderful moments. It's good to see them back and so well off. I was surprised Coats got 4th. I thought it was going to go Cadets, Vanguard, then Coats, but as I said all week - it was so tight between these three, it could go any way, and tonight that's the way it went. I am happy for Coats - they must be thrilled. Congrats Blooo on your great season. I thought all three of these corps stepped it up. Vanguard's visual design really was better than Coats and Cadets, and I thought they executed it better too. I am assuming brass and percussion put these three in the order they finished. As soon as Blue Devils finished their performance I knew that they were going to finish third. Phantom was THAT good tonight. I thought they should have been about 1.5 behind Devils last night, but not tonight. They (Regiment) put on one #### of a show. Cavies were great, but you know, people get so caught up in all the visual stuff that I think they lose sight of the execution - they had some problems tonight. There were many a lines that weren't straight, but the same can be said for anyone else. Still don't know how they won brass. Thought they were better than Devils in brass tonight, but I thought Phantom was better than both. I was really hoping Phantom would win, in fact, because I thought they were that good. With their brass and percussion, and a good GE score it was obviously possible. I was pretty bummed they didn't win, because it would have been great if they had. All in all, a really great night of drum corps, and what fun it was with everyone flip-flopping every where. Didn't hear captions beyond brass and percussion because we headed out. I really do think that was the best year of drum corps in a long time.

Favorite show: Regiment

Favorite guard: Cadets

Favorite brass: Regiment

Favorite drums: Regiment

Favorite visuals: Cavies

Victim of the biggest hose job in the history of DCI: Crown (IMO)

When I saw Crown in Columbus, I was wondering, why aren't their brass scores higher? I too was dumbfounded. As a matter of fact, I preferred their sound that night over Bluecoats and Phantom. No kidding.

Elmo Blatch

When I saw Crown in Columbus, I was wondering, why aren't their brass scores higher? I too was dumbfounded. As a matter of fact, I preferred their sound that night over Bluecoats and Phantom. No kidding.

Elmo Blatch

I preferred it over Coats tonight, but not Phantom. Phantom was, I'll use my word of the week - spectacular!

Midwest corps must be pleased with placing Cavaliers, Phantom, Madison, Bluecoats, and Glassmen in the top 12. Colts and Blue Stars were next in line. It's a great way for Phantom to celebrate their anniversary!

Midwest corps must be pleased with placing Cavaliers, Phantom, Madison, Bluecoats, and Glassmen in the top 12. Colts and Blue Stars were next in line. It's a great way for Phantom to celebrate their anniversary!

I think so too. Good news. I had my flight time wrong. It's 10:45 out of Milwaukee, not 8:45. Must of been thinking in San Francisco time. At least I get more sleep.

First of all - congratulations to Madison Scouts, Bluecoats, and Phantom Regiment tonight! Woo-hoos! It's so refreshing to see Phantom Regiment and Bluecoats performing so powerfully up in the Top 5 group!

Also, according to what my buddy (who was in the stands) said, the audience disagreed with Crown & SCVs placements. Percussion ruined it for Crown (12th place...ouch!), and I guess percussion/brass did the same for Vanguard.

I'm really looking forward to the DVDs & CDs this year, and REALLY looking forward to what happens in 2007!!! Personally, I see Crown, Vanguard, Bluecoats, and Phantom all doing very well next season. For 2007 I dream of seeing:

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Bluecoats

3. Santa Clara Vanguard

4. Cavaliers

5. Carolina Crown

6. Madison scouts

7. Blue Devils

8. Cadets

(...and yeah, I know it's a dream not bloody likely to come true, so you don't need to remind me :D )

Elmo Blatch

In Louisville, Crown was superior to Phantom and the Blue Devils. At least they were much louder than both and in my opinion cleaner. Based on the quarterfinals APDs, I believe that Crown's brass was about the same as Cadets/Bluecoats, and on a whole different level from Vanguard/Blue Knights. I wonder what the judges are hearing to keep their scores so far down? I too usually agree with judges but I am having a difficult time justifying their 89.975 against everyone elses score.

In Louisville, Crown was superior to Phantom and the Blue Devils. At least they were much louder than both and in my opinion cleaner. Based on the quarterfinals APDs, I believe that Crown's brass was about the same as Cadets/Bluecoats, and on a whole different level from Vanguard/Blue Knights. I wonder what the judges are hearing to keep their scores so far down? I too usually agree with judges but I am having a difficult time justifying their 89.975 against everyone elses score.

Well, I thought all three nights that Vanguard's hornline was on par with Bluecoats and Cadets, and Crown was superior to all three. I heard things in Bluecoats, Vanguard and Cadets (intonation, phrasing, attack release problems) that I didn't hear in Crown. Bluecoats stepped up up brasswise tonight for sure, but I think it was a 7th place visual program, in terms of execution. But, you factor in Bloos great percussion line, and I can see why they placed 4th.

First of all - congratulations to Madison Scouts, Bluecoats, and Phantom Regiment tonight! Woo-hoos! It's so refreshing to see Phantom Regiment and Bluecoats performing so powerfully up in the Top 5 group!

Also, according to what my buddy (who was in the stands) said, the audience disagreed with Crown & SCVs placements. Percussion ruined it for Crown (12th place...ouch!), and I guess percussion/brass did the same for Vanguard.

I'm really looking forward to the DVDs & CDs this year, and REALLY looking forward to what happens in 2007!!! Personally, I see Crown, Vanguard, Bluecoats, and Phantom all doing very well next season. For 2007 I dream of seeing:

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Bluecoats

3. Santa Clara Vanguard

4. Cavaliers

5. Carolina Crown

6. Madison scouts

7. Blue Devils

8. Cadets

(...and yeah, I know it's a dream not bloody likely to come true, so you don't need to remind me :D )

My would be:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

1. Madison Scouts

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Carolina Crown

5. Bluecoats

6. Cavaliers

7. Cadets

8. Blue Devils

Maybe it's because placement is not made solely on Brass Scores. I mean come on folks, the BK show this year was chalked full of hard core drill and very exposed music and sets Not to mention you might not like their marching style, but it is extremely uniform!!!. If you think what they were performing and doing so at a high level was easy than you are the fools for thinking it. I said it after the SA show, if Crown finished 12th in percussion they would not be 7th. I too loved their sound but found the show to be much drier than the past couple of years and maybe that has to do with why the GE scores for them were not higher. The show was not easy, but it was not stretching the limits as far as visual impact go. Crown is an incredible corps with one of my favorite horn sounds in the activity, but even if I weren't an ex-Blue Knight, I would be in love with their horn sound too. So what's with all the complaining? Both BK and Crown in the not too distant past were out of finals completely and I am sure they are happy to Duke it out every year for an elite spot rather than clawing to get a finalsit spot at all. A great accomplishment by both corps and a wonderful year!!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Bk '97 '98