Thoughts on Finals!

Would you rather they play Shostakovich, a drum corps staple?

... oops, sorry, that was in the 2002 show as well ^0^

I don't like it when any corps repeats itself. Looking back to the 70's and 80's, I know many corps repeated songs or whole shows. In general, I think it's lame, and a cop-out and laziness on the design staff. Cadets repeat of West Side Story - meh. Even Cavies repeat of Planets - as much as they had some nice visual stuff, I'm just tired of hearing that music on the field. To honest, even Crossmen with Metheny - yes, not just a single tune, but that type of song - I've heard it enough. There have to be more tunes out there that haven't been out on the field dozens of times - or at least arrange it in a very different way, like Regiment did this year with the tunes that they've played in the past.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general I would certainly say that I agree with you. However I can make an exception when a corps is able to use the piece to make an entirely new production, give it a different character than what was used previously. IMO, BK did that this year. Their show was different enough from 2002, and they used more of the piece, so that I was happy with the result.

But I can understand some of what you mean. I don't like that when someone says "that Trittico show" I have to ask "which one?" References are fine, keeps the corps' identity alive, but with so much music out there I would always prefer that a corps choose to explore.

I can tell you that this music was arranged much differently than the 02 production. They only took the 02 closer piece and arranged it for the whole show (minus the ballad) from it. The 02 production strayed very little from the Shostakovitch and Barber pieces, whereas this year they took many liberties in the arrangement. I agree that I too get tired of people repeating musical ideas, but wonder how accessible shows without those reused shows would be. Your point in the last post. That brings me to accessibility. The blue knights as well as many other corps are not as accessible as say the cavies or bd for good reason. They have there personal traditions and identities that are important to them - as they should be. I like the variety that it creates. There will never be and never has been a show that is accessible to everyone. Even though some shows are not as accessible to me, each show shows a distinct change in personality of the members and of the corps. I like that about DCI and I appreciate each corps for not conforming to one monotone style.

Heh, Jason, when have a screen name of "Anonymous", putting your name in the signature kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I loved every show you marched. I'm jealous.

Heh, Jason, when have a screen name of "Anonymous", putting your name in the signature kind of defeats the purpose.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I loved every show you marched. I'm jealous.

Its kind of a play on words. At BK current memebers like to keep a low profile here and on any other public forum. It was my account before I aged out and I just figured I would use it instead of wasting another login for DCP.

I loved every show too. I miss it all so much and am so proud of all my friends at BK this year.

Edited by Anonymous

Its kind of a play on words. At BK current memebers like to keep a low profile here and on any other public forum. It was my account before I aged out and I just figured I would use it instead of wasting another login for DCP.

I loved every show too. I miss it all so much and am so proud of all my friends at BK this year.

Only saw BK at the cinecast, but I fell in love with this year's program and performance. They did an outstanding job.

While, I'm BEYOND late in posting my own review, I have to say I really agreed with almost everything you said in your review, Gellio. And I'm shocked you thought Phantom should have won Saturday night based on previous posts, but glad you loved 'em as much as I did on Saturday night. I saw it as a true toss up, and the spreads seem to agree.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, which I always respect.

Bud

• 7 months later...
My would be:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard

1. Madison Scouts

3. Phantom Regiment

4. Carolina Crown

5. Bluecoats

6. Cavaliers

7. Cadets

8. Blue Devils

Wow, that would be great. Not only SCV winning but just that it would be such a freshening change and stir-up in the placements weve been seeing over the last decade. Fat chance though.

:worthy: