The Academy

aside from all this I would like to comment on how classy The Academy is. Drum corps is more than about competing against other corps, it is to support the other corps. While I was watching the Spartans and The Academy brass line warm up before their respective finals performances, I witnessed the greatest thing that could possibly happen in drum corps. While The Academy was warming up, the Spartans began to march by them to go toward Camp Randall all of a sudden The Academy stopped what they were doing and began cheering for them, congratulating them. Let me tell you my reaction to this was far greater than the effect of any drum corps show could have on me. I began tearing up and got goosebumps. I feel that this is what drum corps is about. supporting the camaraderie everyone shares is one of the most important parts of this activity.

Congratulations on a job well done Academy, and best of luck in 2007.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that you are trying to make the case that Division I should be limited to 17 corps and the rest should just stay in Division II. I keep hearing from old time corps folks how sad it is that there aren't as many corps in Division I as there used to be, so what is it be? If there are 17 corps Division I, somebody has the come in 17th place and if there are 30 Division I corps somebody will have to place 30th. That's just the way it is. It wasn't that long ago (in the total history of DCI) that you could have said "none have performed finals night" about Boston Crusaders or Carolina Crown or Glassmen. It takes time to build a corps to top 12 level, but if you don't try you definitely won't make it. I still remember one time when a first year corps made the top 12. Maybe we have just created an "attitude" of making the top 12 is the only thing that matters? If that's the case we ALL lose...

No, he's saying making finals and contending with the 8-12 placed corps is A LOT harder than one feels it is after winning the div II championship. They're welcome to try. But reality can be like a bucket of cold water to the face. With so many other corps who are good enough in some ways to make Finals, yet didn't, Academy will be doing great if they are in Semis.

Reality is not negative criticism.

aside from all this I would like to comment on how classy The Academy is. Drum corps is more than about competing against other corps, it is to support the other corps. While I was watching the Spartans and The Academy brass line warm up before their respective finals performances, I witnessed the greatest thing that could possibly happen in drum corps. While The Academy was warming up, the Spartans began to march by them to go toward Camp Randall all of a sudden The Academy stopped what they were doing and began cheering for them, congratulating them. Let me tell you my reaction to this was far greater than the effect of any drum corps show could have on me. I began tearing up and got goosebumps. I feel that this is what drum corps is about. supporting the camaraderie everyone shares is one of the most important parts of this activity.

Congratulations on a job well done Academy, and best of luck in 2007.

That's awesome -- a classy move more groups should do rather than always being so intense and trying to intimidate their competition.

I've never really paid much attention or cared very much about D.II and D.III (or Class A and A-60 from the older days) ... accept for a former local corps I had some students march with ... but I think I may have just become a fan of The Academy.

I didn't have the pleasure of seeing them this year, but caught a clip on the cybercast. I was very impressed with their music book.

Unfortunately, as you mention, successfully competing in DI is as much about finances as anything else. With fuel prices, the financial end will be even more important. I would hate to see another promising corps get squeezed out because they felt they needed to spend beyond their means to keep up.

It's just a shame that the top finishers from D II/III aren't allowed to compete in Quarterfinals anymore

... and wouldn't that have been interesting???? :) Good for you, Academy.

Just to play Devil's Advocate...would Academy cheered on Spartans if they weren't a 99% lock for the win?

But anyways, I live in Arizona and have watched AAPA (their name from the beginning...still call them that on accident all the time) from the beginning. There's something that needs to be said about how it's run. Now I haven't seen every single corps rehearse or the inner workings of their directors or whatnot, but the Academy's instruction to the kids is phenominal. So many times I've witnessed some harshness from instructor to student and while some corps have that image, this one does not. They are very encouraging and strive to help the kids improve through positive reinforcement. IMO that works alot better than the intermitten bashing down.

And it helps a TON when they get some of the best homegrown talent Arizona has to offer. I know a bunch of people in the state who went to SCV, BD, PR, Scades, etc. I can safely say that fairly soon the talent in the state will stay here to march. Heck, maybe after this year's strong showing they will get people from out of state!

/ramble

Congratulations out to The Academy Not bad! :)

rimshotTerrance

Just to play Devil's Advocate...would Academy cheered on Spartans if they weren't a 99% lock for the win?

I can say emphatically YES...and I know this because last year at the Long Beach, CA show, Academy had finished their show and were at their food truck having dinner when Mystikal - a D-III regional corps - was marching back to their truck following their show. The entire Academy organization - members, staff, and support crew stopped what they were doing, stood and cheered for them...and, I'm talking about polite clapping, I mean claps, hooting and vocally cheering them on.

Now THAT truly is class. There are other stories about Academy being a very classy group...obviously their staff has instilled a true sense of what the activity is supposed to be, and how the corps should carry themselves...

BRAVO ACADEMY...you definitely have a fan here!!!

I think Magic is a poor comparative example because as another poster said, financial security is what it takes to compete at a high level and stay there in Division 1.

Look at Magic 2002. 11th place, but their finances were in shambles. They were borrowing food/money from Div. 3 corps just to make it through 2003.

Cascades 2002. It recently came out that they aren't as stable as they could be, and look at what happened to them.

-----

I just downloaded The Academy APD and I am blown away! I told everyone on tour in 2003 to watch out for Academy some day and they finally proved me right! Congratulations on a great season and good luck in Division 1! (When they move up, of course)

I, too, had the opportunity to take in D2/3 Finals and it was the very first time I got to experience The Academy live (psssst....come to NorCal more often). I was absolutely floored at their level of performance and can't wait enough for the cds/dvds to show up on the porch.

To Academy, take all the time you need before you take that leap.