MADISON SCOUTS OR MADISON ALUMNI

From Wed at 1pm when I arrived at practice as a spectator to my drive home it was one of the best weekends I have ever had related to drum corps. ( prob. 2nd behind 88 finals week) The show on Wed was great singing never walk was awesome on wed., thurs was cool checked out some d lines, got some scouts and alumni corps rehearsal in. friday was awesome cause it was my 1st real drum corps show since 93 finals. singing never walk outside the stadium was awesome. Saturdays party was long and i should have left at midnite. The only negative was that the video played over and over and over we made a joke out of it at the end but if you were a scout then this was a shouldnt miss weekend.

thank you to scott stewart and all the staff and members for making this happen.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wed at 1pm when I arrived at practice as a spectator to my drive home it was one of the best weekends I have ever had related to drum corps. ( prob. 2nd behind 88 finals week) The show on Wed was great singing never walk was awesome on wed., thurs was cool checked out some d lines, got some scouts and alumni corps rehearsal in. friday was awesome cause it was my 1st real drum corps show since 93 finals. singing never walk outside the stadium was awesome. Saturdays party was long and i should have left at midnite. The only negative was that the video played over and over and over we made a joke out of it at the end but if you were a scout then this was a shouldnt miss weekend.

thank you to scott stewart and all the staff and members for making this happen.

Is this Bobby "The Hammer"? I didn't realize you were there man. I would've come

over and said hi. I did see Chopper and Barney though. It's probably been

15 years since I've seen some of these guys. There were only 5 or 6 of us

in the hornline that marched 89-90 and probably 3 or 4 in the drumline, so

it was great seeing others at the party on saturday. Anyway, good seeing you

posting on here.

Hey all...

I'm not a regular poster here, more of a lurker. But, just want to chime in on some of the Alumni Corps topics, so here I am!

I totally agree with you guys. As amazing as this experience was for all of us, and as much fun as I had, and as much as I'd LOVE to still have rehearsals and shows ahead, it is something that should not be attempted every year, or five. There are A LOT of guys who made big sacrifices, and spent a lot of $$$ to be with us, and be a part of what made this so great. If this was attempted every so often, can't imagine the turnout would be as good. The staff also worked their tails off to organize, and did a phenomenal job! I watched the dvd at Stadium Bar many times on Saturday also. But, kinda felt like they over did it, just a bit! I'm so glad we have it, though, and can't wait for my own copy. I want to keep the memories of this experience fresh in my mind.

A huge thanks to all of you who have made kind, supportive comments. Hope you enjoyed our show half as much as we enjoyed performing it for you!

Jon Sherven

Madison Scout snare drum '87-'89

Madison Scout Alumni Corps snare drum '06

My friend from my 27th days, Corey Smith, marched in the Alumni corps. I only got to see it on YouTube, and even that was awesome. Man, what an incredible sound, but I think it's a bit unfair to compare the two groups. I've loved many, Many Madison shows in the past, and had a feeling that in this particular year, the Jr Corps would draw this sort of unfortunate and a bit petty comparison.

Here's hoping that I can buy the Alumni DVD some day if they can secure distribution rights so I can listen to it "80 times" ;-) , and that in 2007 the Madison Jr's gel with their Myron drill so they have those perfect feet I remember, and can succeed at finding their new identity but still keep that "Madison Sound".

Good luck to you in 2007, Scouts!

I talked with several people who were in Madison for DCI week. All agreed that the Madison Alumni corps was one of the main high lights of the entire week. They also said they found the Alumni corps more entertaining then the Scout competition corps. Also heard the Alumni corps got the longest and loudest ovations of all corps at semis. So they ell me.

I am a little sad to see some take it beyond the asked question, and getting a little personal,.. Auch. Brothers, Let's not do that..

Anyway, me personally, enjoyed the alumni corps show better than the junior corps. NOT meaning anything by it, just more my style of drum corps.

Simple question, Simple answer. Just a side by side comparison on this one occasion

I am beyond proud to be compared to this years Madison Scouts.

But lets face it - the current Scouts can play circles around us old timers.

They move and play things that I cant even imagine.

There is NO comparison - they are a much stronger and more talented corps than we were.

We hit a cord with the crowd that they liked - but the fact is - the current Scouts blow us away.

Im glad everyone liked our show so much

Thank you all

I know this is going to sound negative, but I hope the Scouts Alumni Corps never take the field again. I missed it, saw it about 80 times at the Stadium Bar on Madison and was glad to see the dvd, but I wouldn't want them to become cliche and a parody of themselves.

It's like Royalaires for me. First year I saw them in DeKalb, it was cool...subsequent years....it was YAWN. Same old, same old.

What makes an experience like the Madison Alumni Corps so special is the 20K or so fans who did see them live, saw something amazing. In 10 years, 120K people will have claimed to have been there.

Always leave them begging for more.

Tom Brace

Actually, Tom - you hit the nail on the head! The reason this worked so quickly and so well, was because everyone knew it was a once only chance and never in the organizations past, ever been done! This was a celebration of the past with an emphasis on the present too!

Btw, many people outside the project have been asking about the video we are currently producing. We haven't responded because we are still seeking material rights and permissions to do this outside our membership! We are not out for profit, but we are putting on a kick-butt banquet for the members in November at the Wisconsin Dells. Hopefully, these potential sales would lower the costs for the attending members! If you are interested, just occasionally stop by the project site, where soon we'll be setting up an online store for our hats/shirts and hopefully pre-order DVD sets some time next week!!!

Hat's off to the current Scouts and all performing corps at Madison!

Pearsony

I watched the dvd at Stadium Bar many times on Saturday also. But, kinda felt like they over did it, just a bit!

I wish I'd known that people felt that way... My wife and I were tired and ready to leave around one, but Randy & Karen took off before me so I was stuck with the disk.

Believe me, I thought about ending the show early but I stayed - and drank more... ;)

Pearsony

What??? Disgusting? Nasty? What are you talking about. Reading is a skill. The dvd was on like 80 times in a row.

And I never...read this...NEVER said I didn't like it. Cliche...parody...only if the Project were to perform 22 shows next season, it would become those things.

Get it? That's exactly what made last week so important...a once in a lifetime experience.

Again, I think if you read the post again, you will understand...last week was cool and special...like an important milestone. Just like the first Royalaires Alumni appearance when I saw them in DeKalb.

Turn the propane tanks down long enough to read.

Tom Brace

Writing is also a skill. "I hope the Scouts Alumni Corps never take the field again" could definitely be interpreted (as I did) as a highly negative statement, especially coupled with the part about seeing the video 80 times. [it was 70, max! :)]

However, as you've explained, it could be interpreted as a positive one as well, and I now recognize that was your intent. I'm sorry Tom - I should not have flamed you like that. I certainly wasn't doing much to lower the ugliness quotient on dcp.com.

I should add that it WAS kind of funny by the end of the evening (morning?) that we'd already memorized parts of the video. My friends and I got a laugh out of the announcement at last call: "Attention, Madison Scouts Alumni, we will be showing your video, ONE LAST TIME."

Marc Giles