Another reason to not like the 10-year Indy deal

Gregg, try this on for size, being in Indy for a decade will discoursge PEOPLE from attending. At least this one. No way will I go to Indy more than maybe twice. I guess it just depends on what's happening in the activity.

This, I think is the most rational argument against Indy, and likewise, the riskiest portion of this venture. The arguments about acoustics and stadium design and such I think are, for the most part, covered because both BOA and DCI have been involved from the beginning with the stadium designers and they are taking all this into account. The housing situation is probably more stabile in Indy than anywhere else because of the long history accommodating DC's at Regional and HS Bands at Regionals and Nationals ....

But this question of "will attendence suffer over time?" is unanswerable at this point and therefore a risk. Unfortuantely, we're just going to have to wait and see. I still think the positives outweigh the negatives and/or I'm willing to give DCI the benefit of the doubt on most of the unknowns, but this is the biggest and riskiest unknown.

Remaining hopeful, though ..... :)

EDIT -- And also, we can't fully see what the risks are if DCI DIDN'T do this deal. Would future sites be harder and harder to find after it was too late to lock in one city? Would housing sites/liability/etc become overly burdensome? Point is, there are always risks in the unknown future either way. I agree that what you mentioned is the single biggest risk in this deal, but I think it's hard to evaluate, right now from our computer desks, if it is the biggest obstacle out there to face or avoid.

Edited by Liam

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will discourage performances of alumni corps at D.C.I. 2-7 alumni did their gig in Boston, Madison alumni in Madison and the Anaheim Kingsmen will do theirs (ours) in Pasadena next summer. After that, I suppose Star could do one if they wished in 08 but after that.....................

It's a little easier to do an alumni corps performance if DCI is held in your own city. It's a major deterrent to have to travel a long distance to do so. You still could, of course, but it is a deterrent nevertheless.

Vanguard alumni came out in 01 (was that the year?) when we were in Madison.. I don't see the issue.

All it takes is planning.

How many of you are rabid drum corps fans, yet for whatever reason didn't go to Madison all seven times it's been there?

Okay, but then lets look at the actual history. Madison has hosted DCI Finals 6 times and Orlando 4 times if my count was right. ...

Just for the record:

Madison—1985, 1986, 1987, 1992, 1999, 2002, 2006 (seven times)

Orlando—1996, 1997, 1998, 2003 (four times)

There actually IS a particular corps planning an alumni corps in Indy 2008 to celebrate their 60th aniversary... :lol:

Considering that can only be one corps.... woot! And to think I'll be there to see it in my own backyard!

Just for the record:

Orlando—1996, 1997, 1998, 2003 (four times)

Oops, sorry. Well, that weakens my point a little, but just for the heck of it, I'll stick with it anyway. :)

Many events have permanent homes and the afficianados of each activity flock back year after year after year. Some actually look forward to the tradition.

The Indy 500

The Master's

Montreaux Jazz Festival

The Rose Bowl parade/game

World Series of Poker

I always enjoyed going to Allentown and Whitewater over and over again every year (as a performer, and then later as a spectator).

And Conor, its not like you don't travel to 30 or more other places over the course of the summer. Take it from me a few familiar stops each season become welcome.

It will discourage performances of alumni corps at D.C.I. 2-7 alumni did their gig in Boston, Madison alumni in Madison and the Anaheim Kingsmen will do theirs (ours) in Pasadena next summer. After that, I suppose Star could do one if they wished in 08 but after that.....................

It's a little easier to do an alumni corps performance if DCI is held in your own city. It's a major deterrent to have to travel a long distance to do so. You still could, of course, but it is a deterrent nevertheless.

Well,we are going to have to bare it patiently, if it comes to pass.

drumspiritTerrance :lol: :devin:

[quote name='Michael Boo' post='1544909' date='Aug 17 2006, 08:34 PM']Just for the record:
Orlando—1996, 1997, 1998, 2003 (four times)[/quote]
Add Whitewater in 1972 and 1973 and you have a total of NINE times in South-Central Wisconsin.

Nine times?

Nine times. ($1 to Ed Rooney, Ferris Bueller's HS principal)

what I'm saying is if you're going to make an official home to drum corps, put it where the most history is.

~>conner

I've been to the last three finals at Madison. While the city is decent and the weather is usually great, I'm not sure where I'm seeing this history? Have you been there Conner? I was a little disappointed in the crowd at finals this year (since it's such a "great" drum corps city) and the stadium has uncomfortable seats and it really isn't an impressive facility. At least for me, it seems like it's an expensive place to fly into.

Is it great because the bars next store have welcome DCI signs? I would hate to have finals in Madison for 10 years if it was a choice between Madison and Indy. We're getting a state of the art facility. There are numerous great restaurants and bars within walking distance. There are a lot more great band programs in Indiana and Ohio then there are in Wisconsin. That is not going to be a negative for the attendence.

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something.

-Rick