Another reason to not like the 10-year Indy deal

Oops, sorry. Well, that weakens my point a little, but just for the heck of it, I'll stick with it anyway. :)

Just say what Frank Lloyd Wright once said, "This is a time when the truth is more important than the facts." :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what I'm saying is if you're going to make an official home to drum corps, put it where the most history is.

~>conner

Looking into the future: After 2018, that city will be...(drum roll)...Indy.

How many of you are rabid drum corps fans, yet for whatever reason didn't go to Madison all seven times it's been there?

well, in 85 and 86, mom wouldnt let me go. this year, well, i kinda stopped going and cancelled my Friends membership

as for alumni corps performing finals week, it can still happen. like others said, it takes planning.

in 96 and 97, a dca corps from PA went to Orlando. sure, Buffalo had local corps in 90 ( Empire) and 95 ( St. Joes), and in 2000, the Yankee Rebels did MD.

but SCV in 02 was from Cali, and went to Madison. Cabs made it up to Boston. Royal Airs traveled 3 hours from Chicago, and ok, Kingsmen are close to home next year.

it can still happen. be glad DCI allows them to perform at all.

Plus, to the person who said about DCA weekend, if they could accomodate every alumni corps, I am sure they would...but you can only fit so many corps in the show, and as it is a DCA function, they do lean toward having former DCA corps perform

It will discourage performances of alumni corps at D.C.I. 2-7 alumni did their gig in Boston, Madison alumni in Madison and the Anaheim Kingsmen will do theirs (ours) in Pasadena next summer. After that, I suppose Star could do one if they wished in 08 but after that.....................

It's a little easier to do an alumni corps performance if DCI is held in your own city. It's a major deterrent to have to travel a long distance to do so. You still could, of course, but it is a deterrent nevertheless.

Not that big of a loss if you ask me. I don't go to DCI to see the Alumni Corps.

For those of you who don't like change, I guess hosting DCI in Indy for ten years is a good thing. However, IMO, after visiting the same city for several years in a row, wouldn't it become rather boring? Hosting the DCI Championship in various cities across the Nation would also expose the activity to more people who would otherwise not be aware of it. I like change!

For those of you who don't like change, I guess hosting DCI in Indy for ten years is a good thing. However, IMO, after visiting the same city for several years in a row, wouldn't it become rather boring? Hosting the DCI Championship in various cities across the Nation would also expose the activity to more people who would otherwise not be aware of it. I like change!

I would love to see some stats (I doubt they exist) which showed how many "locals" actually attended a show in their hometown during finals week. The newspaper articles and local tv exposer is good, but I wonder if many people actually ever attend a show because of it.

Just to play devils advocate...how do you feel about this phrase being bandied about every year on the junior side of things by its respective homers? :)

I don't know. How do the folks around you react, Bawker, when you say those things? (This is where I'd insert one of those smileys if it did - which I don't.)

Seriously, I don't think I've heard such a thing except perhaps on these boards where I practice the usual skepticism. Or if I have heard it in the stands, it likely seemed more palatable and less memorable in the context of the modern drum-corps approach where a Crown or a Boston in 2004 might well have been on the thin edge of the wedge.

In any event, revolutions aimed at the past are rare.

HH

Edited by glory

2008- Cavaliers 60th anniversy, great year for them to do something which was already hinted at. :)

Other corps that could do something in the following years

2011- Phanom's 55th anniversy :)

Guardsmen

Star

Belleville Black Knights

Blue Stars

Kilties

Des Plaines Vanguard, I know they have an alumni web-site and organization

Maybe all the former Michagon corps could do one big Michigan Alumni Project! :P

I'm sure I'm leaving out several possibilities.

Most championships have not had them, it's a newer idea. A great one, but not an every year tradition as of yet. :)