DIV I CDs!

Is that DCI's fault, or your dad's?

If sales bottom out, I'd say that's DCI's. If you market the wrong product to your audience, and it doesn't sell, it's not the prospective purchaser's fault.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that sales will bottom out? Do you think that fans will stop buying the CDs, just because 13-23 aren't included? Do you think a majority of DCI fans will avoid the APD's just because "it's too much work"? Do you think that because some people are unwilling to embrace technology that DCI should avoid it as well?

Do you think that sales will bottom out? Do you think that fans will stop buying the CDs, just because 13-23 aren't included? Do you think a majority of DCI fans will avoid the APD's just because "it's too much work"? Do you think that because some people are unwilling to embrace technology that DCI should avoid it as well?

I have to believe that they will lose some sales. I suspect that the majority of moms and dads (mid 40's to mid 50's) and grandparents still aren't tech savvy (is this a reason to start a petition to bring back cassettes?). Therefore, it seems to me they'll lose some sales. I'm sure DCI has had big, long, dreadfully boring meetings about this topic and they've concluded on either real evidence or anecdotal evidence that this is the right decision. Time will tell, and if they lose enough money on the bottom line I would suspect to see them revert back possibly.

Unfortunately, we have no real choice to demonstrate our disappointment. Complaining doesn't help (although it certainly makes us feel better and it's quite entertaining) as long as we still fork over the money for the CDs and since we can't purchase a CD from another organization/company, then we're hosed—DCI is a monopoly of sorts. I really don't think anyone on this forum is ready to boycott.

I can't believe this is such a big deal. They're all still available. CD's are going slowly going away. Since digital music has come around, CD sales are down. Shame on DCI for using current technology and not wasting money on making extra CD's that will sit in inventory for years.

By the way, I teach a high school drummer that just bought the DCI CD's for the first time. Why? Because they were $19 and not the $29 or $39 that they used to be.

When I first learned about drum corps and bought CD's, I only listened to the top 12 because that's where I was going to march. I would have loved to have bought my cd's for $19. Maybe that's wrong, but that's reality for a lot of kids these days.

I have to believe that they will lose some sales. I suspect that the majority of moms and dads (mid 40's to mid 50's) and grandparents still aren't tech savvy (is this a reason to start a petition to bring back cassettes?). Therefore, it seems to me they'll lose some sales.

That reminds me of an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond", where Ray tries to give his dad CD's that replace the records he used to listen to. Despite all the advances from records to CDs, Frank still prefers the format that he's known and that he's comfortable with. He became frustrated with CDs, even angry, and I have no doubt that there are still people like that. But is that a good enough reason for us to go back to vinyl? I also have no doubt that there are still people like Jeff's dad, who refuse to embrace technology. Is that a good enough reason to still exclusively produce CDs, even as they become outdated?

Edited by Maedhros

I just don't think that it will have much effect. I respect the work of the 13-23 corps and I know they were escpecially good this year. But APDs are very easy to download and they are instant...you don't have to wait for them to arrive via UPS. I hate to admit it but I really haven't listened that much to those under the top 12 the past few years anyway. This way if there's any shows that I really liked in the 13-23 range I can go get the APD easily.

That being said, I can understand the feeling of being left out by the other corps, but I just don't think it will hurt sales much.

I can't believe this is such a big deal. They're all still available. CD's are going slowly going away. Since digital music has come around, CD sales are down.

Uh, last I checked, CDs were a carrier of digital media.

A more accurate statement would be: "Since digital music has come around, LP sales are down."

That reminds me of an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond", where Ray tries to give his dad CD's that replace the records he used to listen to. Despite all the advances from records to CDs, Frank still prefers the format that he's known and that he's comfortable with. He became frustrated with CDs, even angry, and I have no doubt that there are still people like that. But is that a good enough reason for us to go back to vinyl? I also have no doubt that there are still people like Jeff's dad, who refuse to embrace technology. Is that a good enough reason to still exclusively produce CDs, even as they become outdated?

I don't disagree with you Matt. I just don't see the death of CD's just yet. How many people have CD players in their cars, as opposed to MP3 players? Same for home systems? Why stop making a format that is still widely used, accepted, and installed in most listening equipment that people use (and on the market), in favor of a new technology exclusively (emphasis on the exclusive point here for the non-finalists)?

If you want anything other than the Finalists, you have to do it yourself (i.e., download, potentailly reformat, burn CD's, upload, etc.). There are a lot of people that simply won't do this, and there are the tech savy that will. I think there will be less sales of APD's of the non-finalists than there would have been in sales if still sold on CD and bundled. I may be wrong. If ADP downloads are less than CD sales, won't that actually end up hurting the non-finalist corps (i.e., less money from fewer downloads, vs. higher CD sales)?

Until I get a car that does not have a CD player and has an MP3 player, I am going to want CD's. If I have to make them myself and pay more to do it (the individual APD's cost more than the CD's, plus the cost of the CD's themselves, plus a computer than can burn them), it really sort of discourages my purchasing them. If the ADP technology is so great and CD's are dead, why were the Finalists put on CD?

I do see some benefits. Since the profits from the downloads go to the corps directly (assuming this still holds true for those at Championships, since there are no CD's for the non-finalists), those corps with very entertaining high quality shows will likely have more downloads and receive more profits. I have no idea whether the profits from APD downloads are that significant, but might it encourge these corps to program shows that would be more likely to be downloaded? If the profits are not that large, probably not, but there is always that possibility.

I'm happy something is available - just not happy that the non-finalists are treated differently.