Academy?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, they are extremely legit. And they've taken their time to get to where they're at. There will be a future Fanfare column on the program that allowed donors to "adopt" a horn so the corps could get top quality instruments. They seem to be making all the right decisions.

I think they seem to be doing things right. I wish them good luck!

They're the real deal. They've been building their program slowly and wisely. They're going to be a force to be reckoned with no mattr what division they're in.

I was really excited to finally get to see them this year. Their show was awesome. I talked with a bunch of their parents at the shows in Madison, and it sounds like their corps director and staff are awesome. It sounds like they are also well respected from the other corps in their division as well. So they are definitely doing something right.

I know alot of people are pushing for them to go DI, but it doesn't matter to me what division they are in, as long as they are putting the quality of show on that they did this year. I would personally rather see them stay in DII for many years, than to have them go DI, and have some sort of financial or other problems and fold.

Nice job Academy, can't wait to see your show next year!

They are legit. The level of instruction they are providing the kids is some of the strongest I've seen in the activity especially in the brass department. It's a mixture of educating and formal instructing and you can tell the kids are learning very quickly to improve not only their show but their brass playing technique as well. When you have Sam Pilafian and Patrick Sheridan you know you are doing good.

Now on to the recommendations of improvement. They still have a ways to go in the visual and percussion departments, more so for the visual/color guard. They will eventually need to part ways with some of their staff in order to improve their corps. I know that will be hard for management to do since this is the staff that has got them this far. But if they truly want to be in the upper echelons of Div. I and be mentioned in the same breath as BD, Cavaliers, and the Cadets as some in the organization have said their goal is, then they have some tough decisions to make. What they have for now will do though.

On the visual side they got some very good instructors and you can see that in their technique, but they may need a new drill writer. Jamie Holly (staff member for BD) did their drill this year. Although it was nice drill and easy to read, it was a mediocre design (yeah like I can do better) and that is why the gap narrowed or got passed by their competitors in the end. I think Pacific Crest also used Jamie Holly and they had the same problems with that caption this year.

The whole color guard staff will eventually need to be changed. Most of their staff instruct in Arizona and well lets just say Arizona has a long way to go before color guard resembles anything close to what is being achieved at the national level. What worked in their favor this year was just how beautiful their guard looked. I loved their uniforms and silks. Peter Gomez wrote a pretty nice book for them, but I haven't heard much from him since his Valley View H.S. days when they one of California's best. Could the design be better and more challenging, definitely. They may also want to start thinking about recruiting girls from California and Texas where their achievement levels are a little higher then the AZ girls.

Percussion is an area I think they can improve in with the staff they currectly have. Maybe change some things here and there, but I enjoyed their book this year. I'm quite sure next year it will be even more challenging.

I am also a little worried about them jumping to Div. I next year. I just don't want the same thing that has happened to Esperanza and Pacific Crest to happen to them. Both CA groups came out like gangbusters, one from a DIV II win and one making Semis their first year at World Championships. Now they both are having a hard time getting out of quarterfinals every year. I always said that for another corps from the west to break out they are going to have to do something unique and come out with such aggression that you will have no choice, but to take notice. Recruitment is a big thing and I'm quite sure in order for the Academy to challenge they will need to draw members from other parts of the country.

What they have going in their favor is management. I am more and more impressed with the way the Academy is running things. A corps infrastructure is just as important as the product they put out on the field. In a lot of ways that is what makes a corps legit.

They are legit. The level of instruction they are providing the kids is some of the strongest I've seen in the activity especially in the brass department. It's a mixture of educating and formal instructing and you can tell the kids are learning very quickly to improve not only their show but their brass playing technique as well. When you have Sam Pilafian and Patrick Sheridan you know you are doing good.

. A corps infrastructure is just as important as the product they put out on the field. In a lot of ways that is what makes a corps legit.

I couldn't had said it better, Thanks.

I would like to add: THE ACADEMY, average age is 18 1/2, membership is nearly 100% Arizona home grown...quite frankly I like it that way. The Mission Statement for the Corps sponsor "Arizona Academy of the Performing Arts" specifically notes the importance of developing local Arizona youth in its over all performing arts programs within the local community.

RE: the Guard. Of the 36 members, 17 of them were first year participants with the Corps, who now have a Championship season from which to build upon. I have all the confidence in the world in Peter Gomez to develop the guard to its fullest potential.

The Corps Directors Vision and long term dream for the Academy, as witnessed in Madison is quite inspiring. It is truly reflective of THE ACADEMY being the receipient of the "Spirt of Disney Award," and its Director being named Corps Executive of the year in Div. II.

For a Corps Relic who marched from 1965-72 (Simplex Minutemen of Gardner, MA) to be able to participate and witness this wonderful Corps in the desert blossom into such fruition....for the long term is deeply gratifying in a land that has seen Corps come and go like so many mirages.

THE ACADEMY HAS TAKEN ROOT, MAY IT RISE AND STAY LIKE THE MIGHTY SAGUARO CACTUS.

One year wonder? No. Sorry.

We've seen 'em and been watching The Academy grow out here in the Wild West for a few years now. They just keep on getting more betterer every year.

They're in for the long haul and will play with the best of the "big" corps when they're ready.

(and they've got about the sweetest sounding brass sound going ...)

This will not be a one uear wonder. The way they "delayed" their coming out was the right way to go. I think they would need a couple of more years of "adjudication" to get an idea of what will work for them visually and with the percussion. The hornline is very amazing, they play som amazing notes and are technically outstanding. I think 2 more years in div II will be what they need to know what works for them before they attack the div I ranks. But from what I heard at Div II finals, they have a good thing going, and a large talent pool to pull from (I know some band directors from las vegas that are considering sending some of their students to them). I just hope they dont try to grow up too fast.

I just want to say to The Academy...Learn from the lessons of corps of the past in your position, just do what is smart.

I was really excited to finally get to see them this year. Their show was awesome. I talked with a bunch of their parents at the shows in Madison, and it sounds like their corps director and staff are awesome. It sounds like they are also well respected from the other corps in their division as well. So they are definitely doing something right.

I know alot of people are pushing for them to go DI, but it doesn't matter to me what division they are in, as long as they are putting the quality of show on that they did this year. I would personally rather see them stay in DII for many years, than to have them go DI, and have some sort of financial or other problems and fold.

Nice job Academy, can't wait to see your show next year!

Me too. The record for corps moving up into div I and continuing to do well isn't very good.