Looking for Japanese corps information around Tokyo

Ape

sell, I 'm planning a trip to Tokyo on this coming October. I heard that will be a marching band event on October, 9. Anyone know about this event. But it is not my target. My aim is visiting and attend as many Japancese corps ' activities as I can!!

I search about Japanese corps around Tokyo and found The Yokohama Scouts, INSPIES, Pheonix and Soka Vanguard. Unfortunately, I can't contact them directly ( I could send email to Scouts but couldn 't get the way to contact other corps though I already hooked up to theri page ).

I think many of you around here could help me abouit this:

1. Any idea abouit what is that event on October, 9 ?

2.How is Japanese drumcorps doing on early October?

3.Which corps I should visit and which is "can 't miss!!" if I will stay in Tokyo area?

4. Not only drumcorps, how about marching band, is there any unmissable band in Tokyo area?

Moreover, if anyone of you can be or know someone can be my "short cut" to contact corps in Tokyo, please help me. I pretty need these information as soon as possibe to make a decision and complete my plan.

Ape

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sell, I 'm planning a trip to Tokyo on this coming October. I heard that will be a marching band event on October, 9. Anyone know about this event. But it is not my target. My aim is visiting and attend as many Japancese corps ' activities as I can!!

I search about Japanese corps around Tokyo and found The Yokohama Scouts, INSPIES, Pheonix and Soka Vanguard. Unfortunately, I can't contact them directly ( I could send email to Scouts but couldn 't get the way to contact other corps though I already hooked up to theri page ).

I think many of you around here could help me abouit this:

1. Any idea abouit what is that event on October, 9 ?

2.How is Japanese drumcorps doing on early October?

3.Which corps I should visit and which is "can 't miss!!" if I will stay in Tokyo area?

4. Not only drumcorps, how about marching band, is there any unmissable band in Tokyo area?

Moreover, if anyone of you can be or know someone can be my "short cut" to contact corps in Tokyo, please help me. I pretty need these information as soon as possibe to make a decision and complete my plan.

Ape

You may be coming too early, I am in Japan in the Tokyo area and will look around for you, but the Japan D&B Championships are in January.

There is a big marching band event in Japan every October, in Okayama (pretty far from Tokyo), which is called "marching in Okayama".

This is a Japanese page from last year's event, but, it shows a list of drum corps that were in attendance, and they appear in English in the middle of the page:

http://www.marching-in-okayama.net/2005/04_syutuendantai.htm

There is a graphical "ad" for this year's event, at:

http://www.marching-in-okayama.net

I cannot find any info on who will be at this year's event.

Cheers,

Rick

There is a tickets page, but, the instructions on how to get tickets to the main event are a bit opaque. They have an email listed, but there is no guarantee that they speak English:

info@marching-in-okayama.net

Reserved seating is 3000 yen (about 28 dollars US) in advance and 3300 at the door. The page says they will sell tickets to the main event on the second day, at the first day's event in front of Okayama station.

Oct 8, Sunday - concert in front of Okayama station, parade

Oct 9, Monday (national holiday) - main event (I think it is indoors)

It looks like you can take a shinkansen bullet train from Tokyo to Okayama, which will take 3 or 4 hours, I am sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nozomi_(Shinkansen)

Non-Japanese can buy an all-you-can-ride JR rail pass which is good for a certain period, for JR lines and some shinkansen (they limit it to the slower ones), for very little money.

JR Rail Pass info in English:

http://www.jtbusa.com/enhome/jrpass.asp

The Drum Corps Japan Autumn Preview is October 8th in Tokyo.

It's an outdoor exhibition event that will take place at Ohta Stadium. About 8 drum corps from Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, and wherever Imperial Sound is from (Sorry, can't remember) will be there. Corps will be performing their full shows plus an encore presentation of "Let It Be Me."

Not sure of exact information yet and DCJ hasn't updated their site in quite some time. But if it was like last year, corps will be at the stadium all day rehearsing from about 9:00am. Actual festivities last year started around 4:00pm I think.

So Rick and Bob, you guys better be there to say hi to me :P

Edited by bari_benzo

Oh yeah, and the weekend prior is the Saitama Prefecture Contest at Saitama Super Arena, just off the Saitama-Shintoshin Station on the JR Utsunomiya/Takasaki lines

The Drum Corps Japan Autumn Preview is October 8th in Tokyo.

It's an outdoor exhibition event that will take place at Ohta Stadium. About 8 drum corps from Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, and wherever Imperial Sound is from (Sorry, can't remember) will be there. Corps will be performing their full shows plus an encore presentation of "Let It Be Me."

Not sure of exact information yet and DCJ hasn't updated their site in quite some time. But if it was like last year, corps will be at the stadium all day rehearsing from about 9:00am. Actual festivities last year started around 4:00pm I think.

So Rick and Bob, you guys better be there to say hi to me :P

Hmm! So this conflicts with the Okayama event. According to the 2005 site, various drum corps were at the Okayama event, but maybe this year they are doing the Tokyo event.