Salas OUT as Director of Scouts!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad to see such a great corps in turmoil.

Scouts were the first corps I ever saw live. Indy regional in 2001. They literally knocked me off my seat and gave me headache. And it was awesome! I'll always remember that. I always remember the crowd giving them a standing O with 30 seconds of show left. Yeah they finished 11th that year, but they were one of my favorite shows that year.

I think the thing we all have to remember is that things change. Love affairs end. Scouts don't get the same reaction any more, for whatever reason. Yeah they don't have the "bugle" sound. Even so 2006 was an incredibly soild show that was close to being top 4 or 5. So the real thing we need to be asking is 1) was this the right decision for the organization and all who support it and 2) now that it has happened will the get someone who can hold it all together and field a corps that can remain true to tradition and be a contender. Or is that even possible at all?

Edited by Bored50345

To those on this post who have claimed that the 2006 edition of Madison didn't have a clue about the tradition of the corps, your are quite mistaken...

I attended the Memorial Day camp in Madison, went to the home show in July, was in Madison during finals week...so, I have some idea what these brothers know and don't know.

These were Madison Scouts, led by Sal Salas, who is an alum and an extremely creative and passionate man. He has done wonders for every group he has worked with. Whether one likes or dislikes the results of his work are of no importance...his dedication can never be questioned.

I had a wonderful, if brief, talk with Sal...he truly has/had the best of intentions for the corps. However, sometimes things don't quite work out the way we want. I will miss Sal as the Director, as I miss Scott Stewart.

As for the traditions...the men of this year's corps understand more of the Scout history, traditions and meaning of what Madison represents than anyone here could ever imagine. They hungered for stories of year's past; they sat in awe of my stories from when I marched. They wanted to know every little nuance and morsel about the old days...

They wore nails around their necks, each one with a name of an alum, so that the past and present may be as one...old being with the new. That is what tradition is about.

I stood with my contra brothers, both Memorial Day and at the show in July, hands on shoulders and sang "the song," and swelled with pride.

Whomever the next director is will be entering a world of more than just a corps...they will be joining a wonderful brotherhood, and inheriting an incredible bunch of men...and I, for one, will be both envious and proud.

Just my 2 cents...

tradition, a wonderful thing

Edited by raphael18

After perusing the board I have seen the name I heard mentioned in another thread. If it is true it could be very exciting.

If you are referring to who I think you are, what is it about him that would turn the Drum Corps

world on it's collective ear? I know very little about him. Please fill me in. :)

And to the current guys, I can't say this enough. You made us older brothers proud.

You are as much the men of Madison as any of us were. You can be proud of what

you did in 2006...heck, your show contains one of my favorite ballads ever!

And I hope that you keep the new traditions too, like the NAILS thing.

I think that's brilliant. MYNWA

Edited by madalumni