Corps Identity - What is it?

In many threads and now with the Madison situation the subject of "Corps identity" comes up.

IMO there are two kinds of identity.

The first is internal to the coprs. This involves the traditions that fans don't see or hear. This could be corps songs, initiation rites etc. I think this is what the Scout alumns mean when they talk about traditions and brotherhood. It's also similar to what George Hopkins said a few years back when he said the Cadets would still be the Cadets even if you added woodwinds and electronics.

The second identity is fan expectation. Madison; loud and accesable (sp), Cavaliers; great visuals, Devils; driving jazz. As fans this is what we expect form a corps and if we don't see or hear it we are dissapointed.

Again IMO a lot of corps have lost the fan identity in search of higher scores. I look at judges as being like movie critics. The movies the critics like generally don't do well at the box office. The ones they dislike the paying customers do.

Opinions?

In many threads and now with the Madison situation the subject of "Corps identity" comes up.

IMO there are two kinds of identity.

The first is internal to the coprs. This involves the traditions that fans don't see or hear. This could be corps songs, initiation rites etc. I think this is what the Scout alumns mean when they talk about traditions and brotherhood. It's also similar to what George Hopkins said a few years back when he said the Cadets would still be the Cadets even if you added woodwinds and electronics.

As a former Cadet...I 100% agree with him. Being a Cadet is not dependent on the 'hardware' being used, be it an instrumentalist or guard performer.

The second identity is fan expectation. Madison; loud and accesable (sp), Cavaliers; great visuals, Devils; driving jazz. As fans this is what we expect form a corps and if we don't see or hear it we are dissapointed.

That's a ERY limiting way to look at things, IMO. Corps have to be free to try new and different things. Cadets this century being exhibit A.

The Scouts show in '05 is my own favorite Scouts show ever, since I first saw them around 1970.

Mike D- My favorite Scouts year ends in a 5 too. 1975! :P