Crowd Reactions

Very few corps do any great "drill moves" anymore. For example the Z pull that The Cadets did back in the 80's, the pivot that 27th Lancers used to do and the "Rockford File" the Phantom colur guard did from time to time.

This is funny...I saw two different homages to the Rockford Files on Finals Night...and none from Regiment.

But those #### show designers are out to purposely screw over the fans again. Why do corps keep hiring show designers? I blame them for the bust in the housing market, the Middle East Crisis, and the fact that Geraldo is still on TV.

Going to take a nap.

Tom Brace

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in 90 to 92, people were saying the same things about the 70s and 80s - how much more power and excitement there was in the 70s and 80s vs. the early 90 years.

I agree with them and I didn't even get into drum corps until 1989.

You may see that I did not say that 90-92 was the best time for drum corps. I simply said I was making the comparison to that time period because I most recently watched the finalist shows from those years. I'm not arguing about drill, because I don't think anybody would argue that the drill was more complex then. I just wish horn lines would play with the same power that they used to. Entire shows came and went without anybody getting close this year. From personal experience this summer, I think only the top 3 got close.

Edited by Tekneek

Over the past five or ten years I've left shows feeling kind of down. The performances seemed to be lacking in emotional impact from what I was used to (or remembered).

I've had kind of the opposite reaction. I felt that way after shows sometimes during the mid- to late 90s, and almost decided to stop going to shows altogether. But in my opinion it began to turn around a little bit in maybe 1999, and I think that over the last three or four seasons the entertainment factor has definitely been on an upswing. I thought '06 was an amazing year.

I agree with them and I didn't even get into drum corps until 1989.

I have seen old timers write that they consider the 1971 World Open the best show ever....I have a DVD of me with my corps at finals...and a video tape with some others at that show...Anaheim, Blue Rock, and almost home town 27th...the crowd was about the same as crowd today, reaction-wise. The video was shot by the Haas family from up in the stands, and you can see a lot of what is going on with the crowd in the picture.

I have seen old timers write that they consider the 1971 World Open the best show ever....I have a DVD of me with my corps at finals...and a video tape with some others at that show...Anaheim, Blue Rock, and almost home town 27th...the crowd was about the same as crowd today, reaction-wise. The video was shot by the Haas family from up in the stands, and you can see a lot of what is going on with the crowd in the picture.

Mike,

Do you think it's possible that some long-time fans just might be viewing the past thru rose-colored glasses, as it were? Remembering what they want to remember, instead of what really happened? Maybe not, but I always get a little sense of that in threads like this one.

When I think of the 70s, I am thinking of 1975-1979. I've heard recordings from much earlier non-DCI days, but it has been a long time and the quality was such that it was often hard for me to make out what they were doing.

Edited by Tekneek

Mike,

Do you think it's possible that some long-time fans just might be viewing the past thru rose-colored glasses, as it were? Remembering what they want to remember, instead of what really happened? Maybe not, but I always get a little sense of that in threads like this one.

That has been my opinion for a long time.

....though as usual I am usually on the minority end of things when I've said that! :)

Do you think it's possible that some long-time fans just might be viewing the past thru rose-colored glasses, as it were? Remembering what they want to remember, instead of what really happened?

And do you think it's possible that some fans might be viewing the present through similar rose-colored glasses?

Thanks Mike. This is exactly what I have been saying. The crowd reactions really have not changed much in my view as long as I have been around the activity (late 70s). The DVDs and videos really show this to be true.

And do you think it's possible that some fans might be viewing the present through similar rose-colored glasses?

No, not possible.

I don't know why I'm so emphatic, but the yes/no questions should get yes/no answers. But then I rattle on for two or three sentences.

Silly me.