Crowd Reactions

And do you think it's possible that some fans might be viewing the present through similar rose-colored glasses?

That's a pretty tough argument to swallow. There's not much "remembering" going on when you are talking about a show you just left vs. a show that happened 30 years ago.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think it's possible that some long-time fans just might be viewing the past thru rose-colored glasses, as it were?

Is there really any dispute over hornlines playing louder 15 years ago than they do today? They may be in better tune today than they were then, but no one can seriously claim they play just as loud can they? It seems impossible. Is it because they don't play G bugles anymore? I don't know if it is instrumentation or composition, but there just aren't the same powerful hornlines that I remember. A top 17 corps more than a decade ago would still fill that stadium with a loud hornline. This year I felt like only the top corps even tried.

When I think of the 70s, I am thinking of 1975-1979. I've heard recordings from much earlier non-DCI days, but it has been a long time and the quality was such that it was often hard for me to make out what they were doing.

That is why I mentioned the video of that show as opposed to listening to a recording. You can SEE the way the crowd reacts.

If interested...

http://www.drumcorpsvideos.com is fthe Haas family website where they sell the old corps shows they have converted to DVD.

My goal is to get the entire WO finals, actually. $15/corps is not bad.

Here are two screen shots of Garfield, actually shot at prelims...

Peace Sign to Battle Hymn ( I am the inside tri-tom...the larger of the two players):

PeacesignBattleHymn.jpg

Opening set:

Openingset.jpg

I though we were talking about crowd reactions, not volume.

In my opinion, I think a lot of the crowd reactions come from loud impact points in the shows. Thusly, the lack of any significant volume these days is, IMO, why there is less crowd reaction. That's what I get out of watching shows from the DVD legacy collection, at least.

My kids have only been to a few corps shows over the years and they attended the semi-finals show and they both said that the Alumni corps had numerous ovations by the whole crowd and that the other corps only had small ovations by small groups of people.

I gather that it's just the new style of shows.

In my opinion, I think a lot of the crowd reactions come from loud impact points in the shows. Thusly, the lack of any significant volume these days is, IMO, why there is less crowd reaction. That's what I get out of watching shows from the DVD legacy collection, at least.

While true that huge impacts do tend to garner some big responses, there are also many times where the more subdued moments brought responses that simply built to thunderous applause eventually. Also, why is resonse always judged on volume alone? If a corps can perform so emotionally that it leaves the entire audience breathless and just sitting there in total awe and wonder, is that not an incredible response? How many times can you honestly saw a performance on the field was able to move 20,000 fans to silence? It's happened - few and far between - but it's happened. Are these not phenominal crowd reactions too?

and to be accurate...acoustically...to play in tune...as a group is to actually play louder.

It has to do with enharmonic tones, etc....some acoustic engineer can explain it more fully.

I know that Regiment in particular chose horns to carry on the volume they've been known for. They play Kings.

Also, it is clearly as important musically to be able to play softly. It's not just about loud.

I remember corps that the only way they could play soft was to turn backfield.

I remember Colts...maybe 99 (was that the Blood Sweat and Tears year?) They were loud...but their tone was like lightning on alumninum foil. Not so good to listen all the time.