OT: Memorial: Maynard Ferguson

FROM www.maynardferguson.com

Maynard Ferguson May 4, 1928 - August 23, 2006

August 24, 2006

Maynard Ferguson passed away yesterday, at the age of 78. Here is the statement released by Maynard's management.

LEGENDARY MUSICIAN MAYNARD FERGUSON DIES

Grammy Nominated Trumpeter Known for "Gonna Fly Now"

Theme To Movie "ROCKY" was 78

Ojai, CA (August 24, 2006) - Walter "Maynard" Ferguson, one of the most influential musicians and band leaders in the history of Jazz, passed away August 23rd at 8:00 pm Pacific Time at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura, California. He was 78 years old. His death was the result of kidney and liver failure brought on by an abdominal infection. Mr. Ferguson's four daughters, Kim, Lisa, Corby, and Wilder were at his side when he passed away after this brief illness. He spoke by phone with his friend and manager Steve Schankman from St. Louis, longtime tour manager Ed Sargent, and friend, and fellow trumpeter Arturo Sandoval.

Mr. Ferguson had recently returned home to California from New York after several sold out performances in July at the famed Blue Note Club plus. During this time, Ferguson and his Big Bop Nouveau band also recorded a new album at Bennett Studios in Englewood, New Jersey.

Maynard Ferguson, born May 4th 1928 in Montreal, started his career at the age of 13 when he performed as a featured soloist with the Canadian Broadcasting Company Orchestra. He played with some of the great Big Band Leaders of the 1940's including Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Barnett, Jimmy Dorsey and Stan Kenton. In 1945, at age 17, Ferguson became the leader of his own Big Band. The 78-year old musical phenomenon went on to record more than 60 albums, receiving numerous honors and awards including the GRAMMY® nomination for "Gonna Fly Now." In 2005, Ferguson was awarded Canada's highest civilian honor, the "Order of Canada" from the Right Honorable Governor General Adrienne Clarkson. In addition to those accolades, Ferguson has been the recipient of DownBeat Magazine's prestigious "DownBeat" Award.

"The Boss," as Ferguson is known, has been performing for packed houses for decades. His recent DVD release, "Live at The Top," captures one of his most memorable performances, a concert held at the Plaza Hotel in Rochester New York in 1975, with Ferguson performing alongside fellow music pioneers Stan Mark, Ernie Garside and Bruce Johnston. Most recently, Ferguson and Big Bop Nouveau Band had been touring the United States. He was preparing for a Fall Tour beginning mid-September in Tokyo, Japan. He had also been invited to play for the King of Thailand's 80th birthday in January.

Mr. Ferguson's body will be cremated in his hometown of Ojai, California. Memorial contributions can be made to the Maynard Ferguson Music Scholarship Fund at University of Missouri - St. Louis, which was established by Steve Schankman at Maynard's 75th birthday celebration. Mr. Schankman and the Ferguson family are planning a memorial concert to take place in St. Louis which will feature many of the band's alumni as and friends who Mr. Ferguson performed with during his more than 60-year musical career.

Mr. Ferguson's latest, and last, recording will be released later this year as a legacy to the life of Maynard Ferguson.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!

Sad, sad news...an amazing performer.

Truly sad. I was listening to "MacArthur Park" from "Live at Jimmys" on my pod the other day. I had it cranked up in my car. A big loss. Thanks for the great tunes.

Truly sad. I was listening to "MacArthur Park" from "Live at Jimmys" on my pod the other day. I had it cranked up in my car. A big loss. Thanks for the great tunes.

One of my favorite albums...love Bruce Johnston's bari sax solo on that tune!

:angel:

RIP Maynard. You gave so many of us so many hours of great music. :angel:

My 16-year-old son has recently "discovered" Maynard.

I spent most of my junior corps years listening to, and playing, Maynard's music. Seen him in concert I don't know how many times ... Including once with Buddy Rich.

It's a sad day.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

:blink::rock::rock::music::rolleyes::blink: