OT: Memorial: Maynard Ferguson

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case anyone cares--I emailed Matt Keller who mans the official MF website, and sent him a link of this thread. He graciously included it in his "fan's reactions" area. I don't think Matt was aware of the impact MF had on the drum corps activity. He emailed me back and said "Awesome link" and it's there on the front page of www.maynardferguson.com.

Matt is devastated by this sudden departure of a great man, as I assume many, many, many people are. It's still just such a sad feeling...and probably intensified because not only did I get a chance to meet him as he was a definite idol of mine in my formative years, but because the man himself was bigger than life.

What a loss...

What a sad loss for the music family ... he will be sadly missed.

I found a cartoon in the newspaper a while back ... can't find it for the life of me right now but wanted to share ...

... from the creator of the comic strip, "B.C."

Two characters:

First: I know what happens when a black cat crosses your path. What happens when a white cat crosses it?

Second: Maynard Ferguson is late for a gig.

Meant in honor ... can you imagine the jam session they're having in heaven right now?

Our sympathy goes out to his family and fans throughout the world.

M.F. was a core part of my high school years in the late 70s. His music and high range became an inspiration and metaphor for achievement and pushing one's self beyond normal boundaries. Right when you thought he could have nothing left, he would take it up another level. He is part of who many of us are today.

I am thankful my son was able to hear him a couple times before he passed away. We love you Maynard, RIP

We sent our Jazz kids to see him only a year or so ago...

I am so glad that many had the chance to hear him...

I posted his passing on our program website and as the staff all walked out to the rehearsal field we could hear all of the leads of out trumpet section in their sectional playing Chameleon in tribute....

He will be missed...