OT: Memorial: Maynard Ferguson

End of an era - Basie, Ellington, Herman, Rich, now MF. No more touring big bands to speak of. Ghost bands don't count to me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if he ever realized the influence he left on Drum Corps. I hope so. :(

I believe so.

A friend of mine spent several years driving Maynard's bus in the late 1990's. This friend had been on the administrative staff doing tour management for several corps in the 1980's and early 1990's. My understanding is that Maynard was very supportive of anything that encouraged young people to love performing music and that he was genuinely flattered that a number of corps have played his music over the years.

The thing that awed me, a chubby little trumpet player at a redneck high school back in the 1970's, about Maynard was this full, unique, trumpet sound. He would be wailing away and you're already in awe at how very high the notes are and then, just like that, he kicks it up another octave.....without seeming to have to try.

Sorry but Strawberry Soup is a Don Ellis tune. Nevertheless Maynard was a great player and a wonderful showman. RIP

And Don Ellis played in Maynard's band in the early 1960's. You can give Maynard partial credit for that one as well as 'Open Wide' and 'Niner-Two'.

that video is awesome. thanks for finding that.

some of my friends and I started a Facebook group in memory of Maynard. He's effected so many of us.

I received a note that Maynard played the trumpet part for the movie, "The Ten Commandments." Does anyone remember a trumpet feature in the film?

What I remember most was being at Blue Devils' school in Birmingham in 1979, the year he co-hosted the DCI PBS broadcast. Maynard showed up at Devils' school after the show. (Maybe he came over with Steve Rondinaro, who had just hosted his first DCI PBS broadcast, but I don't remember who brought him over.) Anyhow, this had to be really late.

He wanted to talk with the corps. No one could believe it. Someone handed him a soprano bugle and he wailed on it (I think in the school cafeteria) with no warm up. Amazing stuff.

My buddy Reggie Watkins was music director for Maynard's Big Bop Nouveau Band for some time. As a result, I got to meet Mr. Ferguson backstage in person a few years ago--always the consumate teacher, Maynard was more interested in talking with the young elementary aged musicians that came to see him than the older fans. He was a world class Music Educator! He is an amazing man/educator/musician. One thing is for sure; his reputation didnt come from sitting in the studio. He was an ACTIVE advocate for jazz education in our schools and music education in general.

I wonder if Tom Blair will put a small tribute to him on the Sept 5th telecast? You know, Maynard was inducted into the bugling hall of fame last year. Unlike some musicians, he didnt turn his nose up to drum corps doing his tunes on the field.

His impact on this activity will not be fully realized for another generation, at least. I could talk about this at length, but honestly, his passing has affected me like no other musician's passing. I used to listen to Give It One religiously. In fact, I think I will go listen to that now.

Elmo Blatch

Edited by Elmo Blatch