PR announces administrative change!

I'm not going to lie... I'm a little worried. I hope he plays the same role that Pat did with the corps... mostly administrative, he was the guy who made things work off the field.

That's what I was thinking. Some of those SCV shows were definitely *NOT* my cup of tea, and I hope he doesn't impose that particular sensibility on Phantom Regiment. Although the "Scheherazade" show was out-of-this world fantastic, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard. LOL :D

edit: minor grammar mistake

Edited by Orpheus

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to lie... I'm a little worried. I hope he plays the same role that Pat did with the corps... mostly administrative, he was the guy who made things work off the field.

that's about how I feel.

~>conner

That's what I was thinking. Some of those SCV shows were definitely *NOT* my cup of tea, and I hope he doesn't impose that particular sensibility on Phantom Regiment. Although the "Scheherazade" show was out-of-this world fantastic, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard. LOL :D

edit: minor grammar mistake

I think this whole "I hope they don't lose their identity" thing is a bit absurd. Two things: One, they have the exact same design team. Two, as for Rick V "imposing" his sensibility... anyone who has dealt with Dan Farrell or JD Shaw knows they won't let anything get "imposed" that they aren't on board with.

Just to refresh my memory, what years exactly was Valenzuela in charge at SCV?

Rick was corps director from 2000 to 2005. SCV, like PR, did not have an executive director. The semantics being that a corps director isn't necessarily in charge of the whole organization. PR has not had an executive director since 1997.

For those that want to know PR's hierarchy more accurately (since it's obvious many people in this thread don't know):

1) Board of Directors

2) President of board (who has been responsible for managing the budget and hiring the corps director)

3) Corps director (who manages the tour and the membership and hires the program coordinator)

4) Program coordinator (hires and manages the instructional/design staff)

With the re-creation of the executive director position, Rick will be in charge of all decisions for the organization and answer to the board. He's hired a program coordinator (Dan Farrell), who has hired the design staff.

Every drum corps has a different situation. Some have exec directors, some have exec and corps directors, some have operations managers, etc. Some are full-time, some part-time. Some have directors or exec directors who are involved in the show, others don't (PR's directors have not been involved in design of the show or instructing for many, many years).

G

I think this whole "I hope they don't lose their identity" thing is a bit absurd. Two things: One, they have the exact same design team. Two, as for Rick V "imposing" his sensibility... anyone who has dealt with Dan Farrell or JD Shaw knows they won't let anything get "imposed" that they aren't on board with.

I sure hope you're right. How much say did Valenzula have in SCV's design choices in those *yawn* shows from 2000 - 2003?

Personally, I just want him to sit back and make the tour/ finances work and have nothing to do with the staff or their decisions. I'm not worried about them losing their identity, moreso than I am about staff conflicts... not saying they will happen but PR has a great thing going right now staffwise and I wouldnt want to see any change affect that.

I sure hope you're right. How much say did Valenzula have in SCV's design choices in those *yawn* shows from 2000 - 2003?

if you lump all the esoteric shows together (98-03) the two i like most werent under rick...

the 2000-2003 years i liked portions but not the shows as a whole...

Edited by Phantom&Phitch

:rolleyes:

Regiment is going to be...

wait for it...

Regiment next year. Ta da!! They're not going to be SCV, anymore than they became Scouts or Southwind when Pat came on board.

Regiment has a program coordinator who will do his job. The board will continue to do their job. All will work together to ensure the success of the corps and that the kids have a wonderful experience.

Rick has been around Regiment for a year. I have seen him in action. He's great at all the things he needs to be great at. He's also personable and genuine.

Regiment has one of the strongest identities of any drum corps on the field today. I wouldn't lose sleep over it changing.

And for crying out loud stop complaining about SCV...I love all of those shows! Boring? :rolleyes: What the heck?

if you lump all the esoteric shows together (98-03) the two i like most werent under rick...

I know this is totally off topic, but I gotta know.. since when did Bernstein (whose birthday it is today, BTW) become "esoteric?" I would have also asked the same about Copland but he was 97.. and I thought 97 and 98 were not too dissimilar (and I loved both).