PR announces administrative change!

And for crying out loud stop complaining about SCV...I love all of those shows! Boring? :rolleyes: What the heck?

ROFL ... I can't stand any of 'em, although I liked their arrangement of "Adagio for Strings." Diff'rent strokes. The "Scheherazade" show was the first SCV show I really loved since Gail Royer passed away back in 1992.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Scheherazade" show was the first SCV show I really loved since Gail Royer passed away back in 1992.

Heh. At least you have that, then. :P

I know this is totally off topic, but I gotta know.. since when did Bernstein (whose birthday it is today, BTW) become "esoteric?" I would have also asked the same about Copland but he was 97.. and I thought 97 and 98 were not too dissimilar (and I loved both).

I just used esoteric bc its the common word used for these shows... and I think you have 98 and 97 mixed up... 98 was the Copland show and 97 was the Bernstein show...

What I meant was quasi-themeless shows... I should have included 97 in there (although i'm not a fan of it).

I know this is totally off topic, but I gotta know.. since when did Bernstein (whose birthday it is today, BTW) become "esoteric?" I would have also asked the same about Copland but he was 97.. and I thought 97 and 98 were not too dissimilar (and I loved both).

Esoteric's probably not the right word, but it's not just about the tunes you select, it's also in how they're arranged. For instance "Short Ride ..." is one of my favorite symphonic pieces and I loved what the Cadets did with it in '91, but SCV's version left me feeling flat. Besides, just because it's by a popular composer doesn't mean it's not esoteric. "Appalachian Spring" certainly isn't, but "Grogh" and "Dance Panels?"

"Grogh" and "Dance Panels?"

But then you have "Down a Country Lane." That's not esoteric. It's gorgeous. :rolleyes:

I just used esoteric bc its the common word used for these shows... and I think you have 98 and 97 mixed up... 98 was the Copland show and 97 was the Bernstein show...

What I meant was quasi-themeless shows... I should have included 97 in there (although i'm not a fan of it).

I could say the same for Copland as I did for Bernstein.. when did either of them become "esoteric?"

97 and 98 are likely my favorite SCV shows ever.

1st place - 97

tie for 1st place - 98

Those were AWESOME years.. I listen to the CDs all the time (STILL!)

Wow - you only liked one show in the last 10 years? Not bad, I still havn't liked a Glassmen show :rolleyes: Just kidding.

I could say the same for Copland as I did for Bernstein.. when did either of them become "esoteric?"

So you don't think it's possible for a popular artist to produce a work that might be considered esoteric?

Boy, has this gotten off-topic. B)

97 and 98 are likely my favorite SCV shows ever.

1st place - 97

tie for 1st place - 98

Those were AWESOME years.. I listen to the CDs all the time (STILL!)

I dont consider either of those two composers to be esoteric.. but I found the programs for 97 and 98 to be sort of esoteric... again I must say that I'm not sure if esoteric is the best word... but its the word used most often to describe those shows and i cant think of a better one!

Considering news I heard today from Scouts friends, I don't think Pat will want to go to Scouts. Could be very unfortunate.

The third-party-news/rumor/conjucture is that the board wanted Sal to cut the budget drastically, hire only local staff, and return to a more local recruiting base.

Pat is very competitive and would NOT go to a corps that will be lucky to be doing parades in four years if these rumors are true.

Though I can't believe my friends would lie or stretch things, I hope the rumors are not true.

Please don't invest too much into all of this until the board makes announcements.