Season Recap, corps 13-15  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Continuum?

• Loved it!
    • Liked it
    • It was okay
    • Didn't care for it
    • Hated it!
  2. 2. What did you think of The Gifts of Freedom?

• Loved it!
    • Liked it
    • It was okay
    • Didn't care for it
    • Hated it!
  3. 3. What did you think of Changing Lanes?

• Loved it!
    • Liked it
    • It was okay
    • Didn't care for it
    • Hated it!

I can't really say anything on the Colts, since I didn't get to see most of the show during the Cinecast when a storm blew through Nashville.

Blue Stars was a nice show, wish it didn't have the narration. A "safe" show to return to DI with.

Changing Lanes was probably one of my favorite shows this year from an effect and music standpoint. The vocalizations actually added to the show, instead of explaining, it actually helped to portray what was going on. Though, I have yet to find a radio station actually play a song for those of us stuck in traffic, anywhere. :P "If I Had My Way" was beautiful. Dynamics were on. Definitely a show that is played a lot on my computer/iPod.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Colts in Salem in late July and really, really liked it. I think I made some comment about if they just miss finals, that tells you how fantastic the finalist corps are this year. And it's true, what a great show and a great Colts corps.

Colts: Excellent show that fell to another excellent show in Spirit. You were better than the scores indicate. Guard was interesting to watch and horns had some volume. Beautiful slowdown peice, but to many corps are slowing down with ballads and not maximizing their time wowing the audience. People that I sat by in 10 different places all loved your musical selection and show. Know that there is only twelve spots in finals and its only a judges opinion. Come back next year and blow us away. Blue Star: Absolutely moving show. People complain about the narration, but people like me enjoyed the narration. The intros to each movement were well thought out and sounded great. I also had the pleasure of sitting with a few of you down in San Antonio and I have to say that your organization was as well represented off the field as on. You guys were a class act and a breath of fresh air. Crossmen: Your show was very entertaining and done well. You had the best use of amped vocals of all corps this year and you came together quite well. I wasn't really excited about the uniforms ( kind of boring ) but then again the members aren't responsible for those things. The best part of your show for me this year was simply watching you perform it. You owned this show and seemed to truly enjoy what you were doing. Good luck next year, and may Bones be with you.....

Saw the Colts early on and felt that it top-12 written all over it. However, by the time they got to Madison, I felt they hadn't done enough to lift the show up to the level it needed to be in order to make finals...a shame, cause I did like this show.

Blue Stars...was great and goosebump-inspiring to see them march back onto the D-I field. That said, this show could have without any vocals and been a more inspiring show. They could have simply had banners (ala BAC a couple of years ago) that titled their individual freedoms...without vocalizing a single word...simply allowing the audience to interpret and imagine...and it would have been light years more emotional...the vocals just came off as phoney patriotism...not good.

Crossmen was the total 180 of that...the vocals worked beautifully to support/enhance the show concept. Loved this show, and would like them to continue down this path. However, as was previously mentioned, continuity & design flaws made this show cute, but not stunning.

Just my 2 cents.

Not necessarily, but it would have allowed for more personized feelings and interpretation...which, I feel, would have garnered greater effect and emotion, which I think was the goal of this show.

Not that I didn't like it...just the opposite, but the vocals just came off as too "forced down my throat."

Not necessarily, but it would have allowed for more personized feelings and interpretation...which, I feel, would have garnered greater effect and emotion, which I think was the goal of this show.

Fair 'nuff :)

I saw the Blue Stars and Crossmen 4 times this year, and the Colts three times.

They ended up in exactly the proper order based on their performances on friday night in Madison.

I really didn't particularly like any of their shows very well, but I thought the Crossmen's was especially vapid.

By the way, The Blue Stars didn't "return to Division I" -- they've never been in it before.

'72-'82, they were in "Open Class", which was "open" to any corps that chose to compete in it -- not a small distinction from today's "D I" criteria.

I really didn't particularly like any of their shows very well, but I thought the Crossmen's was especially vapid.

"Vapid?" How so? Seems to me like if the Velvet Knights (for instance) had done the exact same schtick, people would've been throwing babies. I thought it was inspired.

vapid 

–adjective

1. lacking or having lost life, sharpness, or flavor; insipid; flat: vapid tea.

2. without liveliness or spirit; dull or tedious: a vapid party; vapid conversation.