Whats up with the Madison Scouts Board of Directors?

The average age for the 2006 Madison Scouts was 19 1/2. As to your reply about the corps being in a "financial struggle," It was Sal Salas who got the corps out of their demise!!! I KNOW this for a FACT!!!

Retention rate is high. I have no clue where you get your information!

Please, tell me how the current Fluer de Lis is "different" now!!??!!

Please, also tell me what the corps did to make you say they spent money on "trivial things." Where you there?? Do you know what they spent and on what??? I'd say they did quite well for having had their budget cut by more than HALF by the current BoD.

No kidding, the staff changed in 2003. How many new directors do you personally know that don't bring their own staff with them or hire who they want???

Like I said - where do you get your information. MINE is first-hand.

Where did you get your information from? Who told you the retention rate was high? Do you know what it is exactly, I'm very curious. If it is high, I'm glad to hear that, and I'm also very glad to hear that the average age was back to 19.5.

I never once said that Sal was the reason for the financial struggles, and I commend Sal for getting the corps back on it's financial feet. It was Bob Wall and the BoD that spent all the money. On what, you ask? Trivial things...new uniforms, redesign of logo, letterhead, signage, new designs on trucks and busses, new cook truck (Semi) and the expenses that go along with them, a new Staff Vehicle which was used for 1 year before they used a converted bus, a staff that doesn't understand what it's like to be a Scout, and I'm sure a lot more.

If they cut their budget this year in half, then a big congrats, but I KNOW FOR A FACT from Scott Stewart himself along with the BoD following the 2003 season that the corps went from nearly 1,000,000 dollars in the bank to more than 500,000 dollars in debt.

The staff did not change much in 2003, it was in 2004 after the corps/director?!?/BoD decided that they needed to completely change everything that was the previous Scouts. Previous staff left, Chris Harmon, because they felt they needed to become the Cavies instead of keep a marching style that Chris had helped develop into one of the most popular marching styles in Drum Corps History. Were some staff changes necessary?!?! OF COURSE! Was Colin McNutt a good addition, yes, but that doesn't mean that some of the old staff would not have been successful. (I of course, really didn't say much about the staff anyways, but since you got me going!!)

The Fluer-de-Lis is different. scouts.jpg vs. scoutslogo.jpg

The first design was used for many many years, and is only a slight variation of what was used in the 70's and 80's. The new design seemed to only come around when the BoD deemed it necessary to change everything that was the old Scouts.

This is what I know! From who you ask...Members, Alumni, Corps Directors, BoD and MDBCA Meeting Minutes. Seems like a pretty good source to me?!?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe they shoulda... I won't disagree. But things don't always work out that way in business.

yeah... I just think it would have been less pandamonium.... they could have focused more on the new guy and what he has to offer than ont he bad things that are going on...

yeah... I just think it would have been less pandamonium.... they could have focused more on the new guy and what he has to offer than ont he bad things that are going on...

well...what a ya gonna do? right? :P

They should have had someone in line before they got rid out Sal...

Not necessarily...in most businesses, you don't have a successor lined up before removing/terminating/not renewing a contract of someone. The move is made, then interviews take place to replace that person.

Now, seeing that the BoD has narrowed down their choices (their words, not mine), I would say that had ideas for successors (narrowing down a list in one week is a major accomplishment)...

Of course, now the speculation gets more intense: Who exactly is in the running?

I will say that, at least on paper, the BoD seems to have the right idea in their search...not that I necessarily agree with this needing to happen. I do like Sal, and liked what he was doing with the corps...especially behind the scenes (The Nail Project, etc)...show choices are a different story (and something to be discussed in another forum)...

Long story short, it is going to be an interesting...regardless.

Regiment nailed it when they made the change, but the Madison folks seem to be scurrying. You can say that the change to Bob Wall was a mistake, and I wouldn't argue you on that point, but that board was proactive. I hope they can make an announcement soon or it may be a tough year for Madison.

With all due respect, Regiment appears to have had this in the works for sometime. Without knowing the intricacies of the situation, one could argue that Pat Seidling was treated poorly because Regiment was ushering him out the door before the season was over.

Admittedly, in an ideal world there are understudies in place before decisions are made. But it doesn't seem as if that is possible with most organizations.

Where did you get your information from? Who told you the retention rate was high? Do you know what it is exactly, I'm very curious. If it is high, I'm glad to hear that, and I'm also very glad to hear that the average age was back to 19.5.

He said at the end of the post you were responding to that his knowledge is first-hand. That generally means he was there and witnessed it himself.. which is a step closer than having "a source" or several "sources" as you have explained you do.

Just thought I'd point that out.

They should have had someone in line before they got rid out Sal...

Why, for all that vital business that happens the two weeks in August when most other corps directors are either on vacation or getting ready for their full time gigs in schools?

If his contract was up, it was up. Contracts usually have dates on them. If his was over then, there wasn't much point in offering him a 4 week extension until they find someone else (and why would any employee take that?) By letting him go then, they allowed him time to look for another gig for next year and kept everything open and above board. That's a level of transparency and honesty that most companies would be commended for.

Edited by mobrien