:OT:

Seriously, without getting into the MAC vs PC debate...

I have always considered drum corps a sport, also musical pagentry...I don't believe the two have to be/are mutually exclusive.

To me, drum corps is truly the consumate team sport...no one can be off, or else the entire team/corps suffers. Conversely, when everyone is on, higher placements/audience euphoria is heightened.

I'm sure one could go on for pages on this subject but, in short, I definitely subscribe to the sport theory.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking for my corps handbook and I found the Raiders' handbook during my search. Here are some things I noticed,

"We are a team sport."

What's up with this? Drum corps is music and art to me, not a sport. I can understand physical exercise being applied and sports nutrition, but drum corps a sport? What do you think?

sport |spôrt|

noun

1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

I would say that qualifies.

Ask the tenor drummer from Cavies 04 or Star 93 whether or not they feel (felt) like athletes.

I think they'll tell you they do.

The video vignette from last year explaned that we use just as much energy as a marathan runner half way through a marathan. And everyone considers track a sport.

The video vignette from last year explaned that we use just as much energy as a marathan runner half way through a marathan. And everyone considers track a sport.

Good Lord - thank you. Not for the confirmation, but for the fact that I couldn't, for the life of me, think of the word "vignette".

:sos:

Whatever. It's just terms being thrown around. The word "sport" doesn't really accurately describe drum corps anyway- there's so much more to explain than the athletic component.

But the athletic component IS huge. I lost a good 30 pounds marching this summer. There is a great deal of physical demand expected from corps members, especially at the highest levels of the activity.

Let's just do this:

Sport + art = "Spart"

Hey, it worked for sporks! :P

Therefore,

sport + art + just because = spartacus?

WE ALL WIN!

:P

When you're playing it's an art. When you get injured it's a sport.

You may have to be in shape to participate in drum corps, but I don't think it's a sport. Just because it's a competition and it's being shown on ESPN2 does not make it sport. Get real!

Edited by gbell211