ALL Scouts Caption Heads Resign

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after reading all the above (including Mr. Pearson's eloquent quotes...and, btw: BART - "Don't you see, that's the last act of a dying man?" HOWARD JOHNSON - "Well, I don't care if it's the first act of Henry V, we're leaving.")

Anyway, I digress...

I, like so many others here - both alumni, and not - are concerned about the current state of affairs in Madison. There is nothing more I can add to this topic, other than simply this (and I can't think of anything more appropriate at this time):

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be affraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

There's a golden sky

And the sweet, silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, Walk on with hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone...

You'll never walk alone.

Well said Marc. :)

Ugh! I see this argument all the time. If that's not an excuse for mediocrity, I don't know what is. No one's going to deny that the Scouts 95-99 were on a completely different level and infinitely more entertaining than the Scouts of recent times.

Except me. I've enjoyed the past 3 Madison shows just as much and in some cases more than 97/98/99. And none of them have been mediocre.

Is it loyalty to corps? loyalty to a director or staff? or what that drives someone to march somewhere. I realize that oftentimes who the staff is GREATLY impacts the dynamic of the corps. But for me, coming back in a year when it's going to be more difficult is part of the loyalty to the history (and alumni) of your corps. Maybe it's not easy to see things (and people) change, but IMO it's VERY important that some of the vets make the decision that the integrity of the corps is more important that being down about changes that happen w/in an organization.

It seems to me it is loyalty to your 'brothers' at arms, the membership, is that which drives members to return year after year. My experience in this comes from the first four years of the existence of Star. They were a rollercoaster of different staffs, techniques, approaches, as we sorted out what would become our identity and place within the drum corps world. Each year brought major changes in staff and show. People such as Donnie VanDoren, Dennis Delucia, George Zingali, Mark Sylvester, and others all were very charasmatic staff members who inspired tremendous loyalty in the membership and each at one point moved on or was not re-hired. Some returned years later. And usually a small number of individuals left for the 'greener pastures' or to follow these teachers. But the vast majority of members came back. More and more each year. Why? To be with their friends, their brothers, to be 'Star of Indiana'. They were special people because they didn't come to play this type of music or be taught by such and such. Few knew what we would play from year to year and who would teach it. We came back to be with each other, to create the lifelong memories, to live the 'experience'. When the corps left the competition field a huge portion of the membership went with it. Loyalty to the corps, their friends, the experience.

I am betting that Madison will be fine. Sure it might be a rough patch, but they have been there before. 14th place, home crowd, ouch. But they didn't miss a beat then and they will not now. The identity of what makes one a 'brother' isn't about who stands in front of you, or whether you play such and such type of music. That is the details that 'fans' argue about. I would bet that most of the returning members come back to be Scouts, with their brothers. As long as the experience is great, they will continue to make lifelong memories and friends. As long as the remaining staff, the new staff, BOD, and volunteers work to keep the experience great, the cycle will continue. Even if the long term 'fans' don't always appreciate or comprehend the inevitable changes that all thriving, growing organizations must make.

Edited by mchromik

Ugh! I see this argument all the time. If that's not an excuse for mediocrity, I don't know what is. No one's going to deny that the Scouts 95-99 were on a completely different level and infinitely more entertaining than the Scouts of recent times.

1995, 1997, and 1999 were great shows, but so were 2003 and 2005, IMO. 1996, 2004, and 2006 were good shows I though, and I would put them on about the same level. Remembrance was sweet, but 1998 would be my least favorite of the years in question.

"Harrumph, harrumph. Hey, I didn't get a harrumph outta that guy!"

<ref to sig>

See, you need at least one Jamie Hyneman quote to balance out your sig. :D

"Jamie wants big boom!"

"This could kill you!"

I absolutely agree with that! Unfortunately, we can't make sense of anything, because unlike the wheel of fortune-we can't buy a vowel and the wheel doesn't spin very well right now! Seems that Pat Sajak has hit foot on the wheel! :)

So, you're saying you want Pat Sajek as the next director of the Scouts?

^0^

According to the man himself, not for 2007:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums//ind...t&p=1556492

I do agree, though...Chuck has the goods...his Colts work is some of my favorite stuff. :)

Crossmen 2002.

That show has received more play on my iTunes/iPod than any other Chuck show, junior or all-age.

Look, those years of Madison were sick and it is ridiculous to compare any corps to that. 95, 96 were a collection of extreme tallent, which no one has seen since. What do we remember from those years? The lead sopranos who were freaks! No one has a lead section like that ANY since then. To measure the Scouts from the last 5 years to that is ridiculous. From what I hear, they lost their top 4 leads to injury or had to leave because of a family matter. What do you think that would do to any other Div I corps? It seems obvious that they did not have the leads to pull off the stuff they intended (trumpet solo down a 5th), so give the guys a break. The 90's were a great drum corps era, but that has past. Visually and musically, show design is much different now. With few exceptions, we are now hearing melodic (using that term loosly) fragments, and very little compositional development. Just get me to the next cool visual moment unfortunately. Music is definately second behind visual, unfortunately.