DCI demands!

I think they're only asking for a "yes we're planning" or a "no, we no plans", and with this info will layout a tour schedule and whatnot for the corps to work with. Also a good opportunity to work on housing for Pasadena early and effectively. I don't think there will be a penalty for saying "yes" then dropping out later.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides of this story already:

1. DCI needs to know how many corps are doing the cross-country tour in order to gauge where/when/how many shows to develop for said tour.

2. The corps need some sort of clue what shape this tour is going to take before they can crunch their own budgetary numbers.

But these agendas should not be at odds. Discussion of overall tour scope should already have been taking place. I may be overly optimistic and presumptuous, but I'm pretty sure that more information has been made available to the II/III directors than the original post would lead one to believe. Given that much, corps should have enough of a handle on things to be able to decide on the Pasadena trip by the end of September.

If a corps is concerned that the remaining details of the tour could make or break their budget, then I would suggest they stay closer to home in 2007.

If a corps thinks the outcome of November tryouts will change their decision on making the tour, then I would suggest they stay closer to home in 2007.

There is life outside of DCI championship week. Already, talk of late-season events for corps not touring to Pasadena has begun. The options are there - may each corps choose wisely.

I don't agree with DCI's stance on this, however I can understand why they have to.

Hopefully the corps that I would like to march this upcoming season will go no matter what. *crosses fingers*

I think they're only asking for a "yes we're planning" or a "no, we no plans", and with this info will layout a tour schedule and whatnot for the corps to work with. Also a good opportunity to work on housing for Pasadena early and effectively. I don't think there will be a penalty for saying "yes" then dropping out later.

I was told that there would be two tours set up to Pasadena. One from Washington to Pasadena and the other would be Phoenix to Pasadena. More shows to be had on the Washington tour. I think they are looking to see if there are enough corps coming to book the shows. I also agree that there will probably be no penalty for saying yes now and then dropping out later.

All I know is our corps is planning on coming out.

When was this decided and why weren't we notified?

Any word on housing or required/focus shows?

This was actually announced at the meetings that took place earlier this year in Pasadena (which all corps directors/staffs, plus show sponsors/tour event partners were supposed to attend).

In fact, the directors and staffs were taken to both the Rose Bowl and Pasadena City College to inspect the sites and give feed back. Someone from Capital Sound should have been there (I would assume they were) and would have had this information.

Focus shows might be clarified next month when DCI has it's winter meetings in Chicago, and housing is going to be in the Southern California area (there are a plethora of high schools and middle schools to satisfy housing within a tight radius to Pasadena).

Hope this helps a bit...

DCI does Div II/III as a service to the corps. Putting on the DIV II/III championships is a money losing proposition every year.

DCI policies were always designed to accommodate the upper-level more-prestigious units, and if DCI's heart is indeed not in the smaller/novice units the obvious solution is for those units to reconfigure into a more sympathetic organization or circuit just as the self-serving Combine did thirty-seven years ago.

At that point the smaller units should also work together to reconfigure their own judging and competition standards, since those are set to accomodate the major units. Obviously a 30-member unit cannot produce an ambitious field routine to match that of a top contender, yet that's the expected standard.

Little is remembered today about the Class C corps of the Golden Age, but there were many hundreds which flourished under relaxed standards including shorter drills, less-demanding music, less-expensive equipment, and specialized circuits with centralized competitions. They had extensive fan followings and entertaining programs strong in general effect if not always necessarily in execution.

Of course nothing will really change for the smaller units if they allow the majors to continue setting the norms and don't attempt to create their own destinies.

(A word now about constructive criticism in DCP, which seems to be somewhat less than welcome by many.

Opposing viewpoints are part of the American tradition and are to be encouraged, as in our two-party system.

On these forums, however, we see that anyone with a thought out of lockstep with the program and its leaders quickly becomes the target of bullying mockery, name-calling and vilification.

I'm long out of this activity and I don't read/respond to such things, but with its decline over the decades and yet so many trusting young lives and minds still active, you need to hear and encourage varying thoughts and concepts rather than fear them.)

At that point the smaller units should also work together to reconfigure their own judging and competition standards, since those are set to accomodate the major units. Obviously a 30-member unit cannot produce an ambitious field routine to match that of a top contender, yet that's the expected standard.

Division II/III corps compete on different sheets than Division I and also have a shorter show length requirement than Division I.

DCI policies were always designed to accommodate the upper-level more-prestigious units, and if DCI's heart is indeed not in the smaller/novice units the obvious solution is for those units to reconfigure into a more sympathetic organization or circuit just as the self-serving Combine did thirty-seven years ago.

no comment, as I'm in some sort of an agreement there.

The D2/3 corps have their own set of BoDs and have made their own decisions on judging and what-not. And you may want to tell the Mandarins the a 30-member unitt can't compete with a corps twic/tree times, or even four times it's size in the 2/3 activiy... because I don't think they got that memo back when hey were still a 2/3 corps.

Little is remembered today about the Class C corps of the Golden Age, but there were many hundreds which flourished under relaxed standards including shorter drills, less-demanding music, less-expensive equipment, and specialized circuits with centralized competitions. They had extensive fan followings and entertaining programs strong in general effect if not always necessarily in execution.

Today's 2/3 shows only require to be a minimum 8:30 minutes in length (1 and a half minutes shorter than D1 minimum). Also, what equipment is used, what kind of drill/music is used... it's all up to the individual corps. A proposal for a 4th division has been on the 2/3 BoDs table before. If you feel the necessity for it, then take the time to write the directors and BoD of the 2/3 activity and express your wishes.

Of course nothing will really change for the smaller units if they allow the majors to continue setting the norms and don't attempt to create their own destinies.

yeah, okay, somewhat true there... mostly because 2/3 corps staff comes from the D1 corps.

It's way too easy to throw stones at this glass house. If you weren't (and I wasn't) involved in the economic debacle at Birmingham, then you just don't know how tenuous every year is. DCI isn't the great suga' daddy that has unlimited resources. The move to Indy is to consolidate resources and preserve the largest money making event of the year from a weather related disaster.

The Div II/III BoD (or any directors for that matter) could easily host their own II/III show in the Midwest on the same day as Pasadena to serve those for whom travel is far too risky (you heard it here first!)

The Div II/III BoD (or any directors for that matter) could easily host their own II/III show in the Midwest on the same day as Pasadena to serve those for whom travel is far too risky (you heard it here first!)

that is true