DCI demands!

One thing that sometimes gets overlooked (although it has been mentioned in this thread) about making the commitment to go west rather shortly is that the corps have known about Pasadena for quite some time now. This is a surprise to no one and there's been time to figure out resources to make it work...or not.

I hope all the Division II&III corps are able to go out West. They've earned the same enthusiastic responses from those folks west of the Rockies that western corps have enjoyed for years from fans in the Midwest and East.

Edited by Michael Boo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happend while I was away?

I see not all that much different, regardless of how much has changed on the surface. If you dig down to the meaty part of drum corps, it's still there.

At the 2/3 level, there's still plenty of kids who come in not knowing how to play. I can only speak from the ECJ hornline perspective, but we always have members come in who are just picking up a horn for the first time. By the end of the season, usually, they have grown into quite respectable players. My corps experience was SO educational. I learned to be a leader, I honed my mello-skills (even though when I came in, I had already played mello 3 years, french horn 2, and other various brass instruments), I learned how to carry myself (I'm neither a twig nor graceful). With parts of the book we had, plenty of us had to learn it measure-by-measure. I'm not exactly a rhythmic genius.

Lots of things are different from when you marched: the marching techniques, the instruments on the field vs. in the pit, the technology that has seeped its way into the corps world; but the spirit is still the same, at least from what I've seen: Kids with a desire to learn and become more than they thought they could be. Kids who want to work hard, who want to get their butts kicked (we all know we're a little masochistic). Kids who want to have a great time and forge friendships that will last a lifetime.

Not everyone's a music major (myself included). Perhaps Div 1 has become too specialized to gain a wide audience and pool of prospective auditionees, but divs 2 & 3 still have great things to offer kids who are young and less trained, but also a home for people who feel comfortable and flourish in the small intimate group.

Laurel

East Coast Jazz mello line 04-06

horn captain 06

I feel like that was incredibly off topic.

Sorry.

Thanks Laurel, I'm the one who strayed off topic, but it's all related.

We need to keep II/III DC healthy and unfortunately to do that, it takes $$. DCI can help, but having Championships anywhere other than in the middle of the US, will put a $$ drain on some corps that they just can't handle. I might be biased cause I live in WI, but Madison's Camp Randall venue is hard to beat. That is a Drum Corps town and probably the only one of that size. It makes me wonder why they are moving to CA. I'm thinking that it's political and some big sponsor said, "Move it here and we will give you___." Maybe I'm missing something here, but didn't Madison attendance break records? To me, that means more $$.

BTW: I loved watching players develop and master their music, marching, maneuvering and musicianship (sounds better than military bearing) and it's catchy: The 4 Ms.

I agree that the corps have known for sometime about DCI's being held in Pasadena. DCI is doing the right thing by asking for a committment from the DCI Div. 2/3 as to if they will be travelling west for DCI's. I also hope all the Division 2/3 corps are able to go West for Championships. Corps need to think ahead nowadays! In addition to making plans for Pasadena for 2007, all the corps should be making plans for Indy in 2008 also. I will be interested to see how this shakes out as this will be a test for alot of corps management wise and finanically wise. To be fair though the west coast corps have been dealing with these same issues for years.

Hope to see everybody in Pasadena!!!!

One thing that sometimes gets overlooked (although it has been mentioned in this thread) about making the commitment to go west rather shortly is that the corps have known about Pasadena for quite some time now. This is a surprise to no one and there's been time to figure out resources to make it work...or not.

I hope all the Division II&III corps are able to go out West. They've earned the same enthusiastic responses from those folks west of the Rockies that western corps have enjoyed for years from fans in the Midwest and East.

It appears to me that there are plenty of kids like Laurel ... (Thank you, Laurel and the Laurels of the drum corps world) ... in Division II/III and it is truly a shame that more people do not get themselves into the stands to see them.

The many corps that flourished in the 50's and 60's did so with local encouragement and local backing and how far they went was always determined by their vision, organization and local support. There will be corps who are not able to make the trip this year, just as there are every year in Div II/III. We will miss them.

Taking the World Championships to California is, indeed, long overdue and I do not think anyone I know in the northeast is complaining. Most local corps people I have spoken with seem to view it is a great adventure ... the summer tour of a lifetime for the Div II/III kids.

Those of us die-hard fans and corps will find a way to pack it up, fill the tank, take wing and go west.

And, believe me, we are looking forward to it!

See you in Pasedena. :)

Edited by oldguard

• 2 weeks later...
Taking the World Championships to California is, indeed, long overdue and I do not think anyone I know in the northeast is complaining. Most local corps people I have spoken with seem to view it is a great adventure ... the summer tour of a lifetime for the Div II/III kids.

Those of us die-hard fans and corps will find a way to pack it up, fill the tank, take wing and go west.

And, believe me, we are looking forward to it!

See you in Pasedena. :)

Having funded kids in corps for many years and being based on the west coast, we have always looked at every year as "the summer tour of a lifetime" From Wisconsin to Rhode Island, from Florida to Denver, summer tour is a wonderful, albeit expensive time. See the country, even if from a bus.

As a parent, funding this and some years funding this with multiple kids is difficult, but we do. What we can never do is coordinate our being able to attend as well. I made is back in 2005 cuz I was in Mass on business, but that's it. Denver didn't work out. We are looking forward to attending Prelims, semi's and finals and even seeing the Div I finals live. All of our family will be able to attend as well as many friends. Spreading the wealth (the wealth of entertainment) is a good thing.

I am appreciative of this attention to the left coast. I am assuming some corps will not be able to make it, as some corps were not able to make it to Mass, or Florida or to Wi. Sorry, life's funny that way, we don't always get what we want when we want it.

Dad

Edited by Impulsivedad

Sounds to me like DCI is worried that there will not be enough corps to support the championship week. As the number of corps is at a low (from previous years or decades) the idea of everyone being able to travel to CA is going to be a problem. Yes, I know the western corps travel east every year, but that is accepted to be a DCI corps, always has been and it is a shame. But I wouldn't be surprised if some ulterior plan is already underway.

I want to preface this post by saying that this is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of any other individual or organization. Any responses, rebuffs or retaliations should be directed at me and not the group I am involved with.

I have just been informed that DCI will require corps to commit to Championship week for 2007 in Pasadena by Sept. 30. Let me take a minute to compose myself.

As it stands, DCI has no information about tour shows, no date or location for any focus shows and no time or location for II/III performances for finals week. I'm sure there are several corps who will be going no matter what. For those corps who walk the budget tightrope, the 2007 tour could break them. Yes, I can hear you now, "Just take a year off." Let me take another minute to compose myself.

Much has been made recently about the responsibilities of each corps and the responsibility of DCI. As a person who IS responsible for the well-being of a corps and ALL the people involved, I need as much information as possible to make those decisions.

How can DCI expect this kind of blind committment to finals week if corps have no idea where it's going to be, where they are going to have to travel and what shows they will be required and/or permitted to perform in. I cannot set a budget for food or transportation if I don't know where I'm going. I cannot coordinate volunteers until I can tell them where and when we are traveling.

DCI needs to commit to giving corps a reasonable amount of information before asking them to commit to a trip to ????????

As I reread this post before I sent it off, I thought of the West Coast Corps who have probably making this argument for years. I wish to extend this call to committment to all future seasons.

Rick Melcher

Dad, Cook, Driver, Bingo Worker, Concession Stand Worker, First Aid Giver, Navigator, Recruiter, Host Parent, Board of Directors

But I wouldn't be surprised if some ulterior plan is already underway.

Or maybe it's just good planning on DCI's part.

Sounds to me like DCI is worried that there will not be enough corps to support the championship week. As the number of corps is at a low (from previous years or decades) the idea of everyone being able to travel to CA is going to be a problem. Yes, I know the western corps travel east every year, but that is accepted to be a DCI corps, always has been and it is a shame. But I wouldn't be surprised if some ulterior plan is already underway.

I'm not trying to be clever here, but did you mean "alternative" plan? As in - a 2-3 finals closer to the midwest? Or "ulterior" in the sense of underhanded?

Sounds to me like DCI is worried that there will not be enough corps to support the championship week.

I'm not sure I understand this comment.

How many corps is "enough"? The division I corps will all be going to Pasadena - that's 25 right there. I think that's already "enough". Western II/III units add another ten names to the list - 35. No matter how many Eastern and Midwestern division II/III corps opt out, DCI Championships will still be held in Pasadena, don't you think?