ARTISTIC TEMPERAMENT

His piece is on the "risks" the Cadets made through the years. The ones that worked, the ones that didn't. Although '87 is creative and a masterpiece of a show the risk factor is not as high as the shows he listed or maybe it is... :)

Talking about 'risk'....

While most of the 70 show was traditional drum corps of that era....

We nearly got kicked out of VFW Nats in Miami because we created a Peace Sign to "White Rabbit" after concert...the head VFW guy, Tony Schlechta, went public that we did not deserve to even participate at Nats.

If we're talking about risky shows that did/didn't pay off, below would be my personal tweaks to the list...

I'd replace 1998 with 1997...to me those two seasons are linked, with 1998 being a one-up effort upon 1997. Both shows had esoteric music, and both still reached the audience like crazy.

I'd also replace 1996 (which I think worked personally) with 1986. Lots of new stuff in that show, and it didn't do all it could have in the end.

I'd personally not call 1990 a risk at all. It was a Best of Cadets show, with the chops and personality to win. I'd replace it with 1995. 1995 was a real divergence for The Cadets of that era, complete with props, park & blow, dancing, etc.

I'd also point out that 1992's Perilous Skies was their first departure from Americana since their rise to power. That in itself is risky.

:)

Edited by chris ncsu

The art of the Cadets, and the artless Cadets, all in one.

An excellent piece, David...never quite realized a lot of this. However, after reading through it, I'm now more impressed with what the Cadets have attempted during their history...and, I would have to agree with almost everything you said...

Nice work!

I'll agree that 2006 was not my personal favorite, but it felt more like drum corps in certain places than many shows of today.

For the Cadets to consider in 2007 to knock on Blue Devils door but Blue Devils have planted The GodFather Part Blue in Top 5

Terrance

:music: ... that's not even a proper sentence.

Say it in a Christopher Walken or Bill Cosby voice and it makes much more sense. :P