Casella and the tilt......

LSU GRAD 82

A few years ago I saw the SCV snareline marching with their snares tilted and now the Cavaliers are doing it. If I'm not mistaken, Jim Casella was the snare instructor for SC and is now with the Cavies. What's the purpose of the tilt. It's NOT easier to play like that and I don't like the way it looks visually. Any opinions?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it *is* easier to play that way when using traditional grip, and a lot of people *do* like the way it looks visually.

Mike

I don't agree. If it's easier to play and looks better, then why aren't more snarelines using

" the tilt " ?

Because drummers have inertia about some things? Got me on that score. Flat drums are better ergonomically for matched grip, and tilted drums work better with traditional grip - in trad grip, both hands aren't making equivalent motions.

I will grant you this, though - check out drumhard.com or drumlines.org and do a search - there's a *ton* - pages and pages - of discussion and debate about it. More than you'll want to read about it, I assure you. :P

Mike

Because drummers have inertia about some things? Got me on that score. Flat drums are better ergonomically for matched grip, and tilted drums work better with traditional grip - in trad grip, both hands aren't making equivalent motions.

I will grant you this, though - check out drumhard.com or drumlines.org and do a search - there's a *ton* - pages and pages - of discussion and debate about it. More than you'll want to read about it, I assure you. :P

Mike

The snare tilt is a gimmick. Too old school for me. I played snare for 10 years & playing a tilted snare drum is more difficult to me. Also, watching a snare line with tilted snares isn't as pleasing to me..I mean thee is no symmetry to the style.

To me snare tilt = marching band

Eye of the beholder, I guess, 'cause flat snare to me = matched grip and therefore, marching band.

Eh, to each their own.

Mike

Yup...personal preference. Heck, I also like music with melody & volume...but that's just me...

A few years ago I saw the SCV snareline marching with their snares tilted and now the Cavaliers are doing it. If I'm not mistaken, Jim Casella was the snare instructor for SC and is now with the Cavies. What's the purpose of the tilt. It's NOT easier to play like that and I don't like the way it looks visually. Any opinions?

Jim was never the snare tech for SCV. He has been the caption head or arranger for them.

I love the tilt and I don't know why more lines don't do it. With a flat drum, I have to put the drum way to high to play comfortably. I love the tilt, and even like how the Blue Knights tilt to the right.....and down in front, this resembles the way drums used to be worn AND the reason traditional grip was developed.

The DCA champs (Bucs) do it, and more lines will do it in the future. Hey, wasn't it only the mid 70s when the snare harness came out and most lines started playing flat? I wonder what kind of grumblings went on about that way back in the day.

I kind of think those first harnesses didn't have the option to tilt, but that advantage in marching with a rack over a strap was too much to pass up. Maybe if the first racks had the tilt built in we wouldn't be having this discussion.