Casella and the tilt......

LSU GRAD 82

Snare tilt = Black college and high school marching band percussion sections with straps and leg rests........

The physics of the left turn in traditional grip warrents the tilt and yes, it is easier to play that way on a tilted drum. I've done both and speak from experience. Logic dictates that those who want even snares accross the line should be proponents of matched grip. Personally, I don't like match grip because the angles don't look as nice as with traditional grip. Let's not overlook the dirty secret though - which is that snares use their ability to play traditional grip as yet another brick in their monument called, "I can play better than you". :sshh:

Blue Knights have done the same thing as well...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snare tilt = Black college and high school marching band percussion sections with straps and leg rests........

The early 80s Bridgemen under DeLucia chose to stick with straps and a slight left to right tilt, even when everyone else had gone to carriers. Didn't seem to hurt their ability to beat most of the rest of us on the field and come up with some lines that people are STILL listing as among the best of all time.

BTW, carriers and tilt is nothing new for Cavaliers; the '82 line did the same thing for one year before going back to the flat carry.

Actually, the reason matched grip became popular around 1979 was the Santa Clara Vanguard. They switched to matched grip & won a couple of drum titles...so everyone else went matched. Personally, I much prefer traditional grip. I had to play matched grip in 1979 & was not happy about it. Heck, even Madison played matched grip in 1983.

Thankfully, everyone has returned to traditional...which is the way the snare drum was meant to be played.

A few things. I marched in the '70's, and remember when SCV started using Matched Grip in '77, and won high drums in '79. A good friend of mine was in the '79 line. He's the best snare drummer I've ever seen, and played Traditonal in the Seattle Imperials for years before going to the Vanguard at the advice of Paul Seibert. He did it well, but hated it. SCV is probably the only line that made Matched Grip look good IMO.

The benefit of Matched is an easier transition from the lower sections to snare. The drawback is that it looks boring, and the same as the other sections, IMO.

The tilt issue, I've heard pros and cons regarding it. We were going to use the tilt, then I got some feedback that a few people HATED the idea of a tilt. While a few SCV alumni in the line, (not trying to plug, they are old school), wanted the tilt. Well, we went with the straight line. We had 10 snares that year, and the argument that won was that flat looked like a line. On the other hand, I heard from someone, and his input was that a tilt allowed for the sound to projet a little "sideways', and made it easier to listen to each other. Also, we have a tall person at the end of the line who wanted the tilt, because he would have to lower his left hand, since he could only hike his drum up so high. That bothered him. I like both ways, but if I had my way, I would want the tilt. I think it looks old school, and just plain cool with tradtional grip.

It's just a matter of opinion, and what's best for your line.

How about the mechanics? What do you do to get all the drums tilted at a consistent angle through the line? Is there a "tilt bracket" that you can buy and install? Do you re-drill and relocate the existing brackets?

Edited by kusankusho

How about the mechanics? What do you do to get all the drums tilted at a consistent angle through the line? Is there a "tilt bracket" that you can buy and install? Do you re-drill and relocate the existing brackets?

The newer snare carriers have the tilt feature. They are made by May for Pearl and Yamaha. They are available through Music123.com, or if you want just Pearl, you can try 1800usaband.com. (A lot different than the old Hadley carriers we used to use.)

To get a consistent tilt, I would get everyone in front of windows and look at the reflection, or have someone stand in front of the line. The degree of the tilt would be personal preference I guess. I wouldn't want too much IMO.

Hope this helps.

For the May carriers there is a plate with slotted holes that attaches to the two down tubes on the back of the drum. Loosen the bolts holding the plate to the drum, slide them across in the slots until your desired angle is reached, tighten the bolts.

Jeez, it almost sounds as if I've done this before. :worthy:

For the May carriers there is a plate with slotted holes that attaches to the two down tubes on the back of the drum. Loosen the bolts holding the plate to the drum, slide them across in the slots until your desired angle is reached, tighten the bolts.

Jeez, it almost sounds as if I've done this before.
:worthy:

Yeah it kinda does - is HYPE tilting their snares?

It still cracks me up how many people out there (not talking about this thread, but in general) think that anything is done to make playing "Easier".

At the end of the day, its about the aesthetic appearance. The fundamentals still need to be solid to achieve clarity and sound quality. In other words, if you take a dirty "Flat" snare line and tilt the drums, its not gonna clean em up any. In fact, ive seen young percussion instructors mistakenly chose one or the other on a whim and make a sudden change. LAst year i judged a drumline twice. Once early season, and once two weeks before finals. Then i went to finals as a specator and their snare drums were suddenly tilted! I wanted to ring the kids neck. I knew some people in that program who said he did it in the lot before they went out. I thought it was funny.

On a personal level, i am much more comfortable on a tilted drum. I had the honor of marching in the US Marine Drum and Bugle corps where you have to do both. Our regular show (that would be done at DCA, DCI, or other shows) we played normal contemporary pearl drums on regular carriers with a flat angle. During our traditional ceremonial events at Marine Barracks washington DC, we had the snare drums on slings as drummers have had for centuries. It was really fun to play that way (once your left leg gets used to the weight of the drum!). Especially during our "Slow march" which is a "kick slide" style with the toe just gliding along the surface all the way down the parade deck. It was a great expereince tho and it really opened me up to classic style.

For the person who asked how you tilt a drum currently, it depends on the make of your drums. Some drums are made to easily chose your angle, while other drums have to be drilled or fitted with different hardware.

the high school i teach uses the Pearl Carbonply Snare drums and they (like all recent pearl models) have a wonderfully easy mechanism on the back of the drum itself. All it takes is a turn of the wrech. Its so simple and it makes getting uniform angles easy too. The Dynasty drums however need to be drilled if your going to use strictly dynasty parts. Premier and yamaha drums are also a little complicated, but do able.

Tone

Premier and yamaha drums are also a little complicated, but do able.

Tone

Actually, with the Randall May flip up attachments, the Yamaha ones are just as easy as the pearl ones now - two bolts on the back, one on each clip.

It's when you go to those ET-Clip attachments (with the slot plugin) that it gets... messy. :)

Mike