Declining Retreat?

I'm rather curious than any thing else, but does any one know why there's been such a major transformation at the DCA retreat in the past few years?

Let me explain; From what I remember (which is probibly very askew from what was real) Every corps would play tribute to the new World Champions and then march off trooping the stands playing thier signature tune. (Which I'm pretty sure we all do durring the season...to some extent). But in Recent years only a few corps choose to do so, while others turn around and just wander off the field, and this year NO one marched off leaving the Buccaniers center field to do thier Victory Concert.

Was this a change in DCA to shorten the length of the program, since Full Retreat is already so long?

Or is this just a corps by corps chioce to just . . . go?

This has been a question just picking at my brain since Sunday night. :wink:

Your Thoughts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of the DM's for SoCal Dream, I think I can partially answer your question.

When the awards were finished, we were told by the powers running retreat to go back to our corps and immediately exit the stadium through the backfield gate. After shaking hands, greeting and congratulating other DM's, we went back to our corps and marched out through the back gate as instructed.

I know that this was our first, hopefully first of many, retreat and we were a bit fearful of doing anything wrong. Reason is because we were presented with information that included retreat etiquete with a section stating that fines would be imposed on the corps if different things were done. Obviously we didnt want to offend anyone and risk a financial strike against the corps, so we were extra cautious in following orders even when they were not presented very professionally to us. Side note, it doesnt take yelling at people to get things done, and especially not fans of the activity that pay the bills.

I am not saying that we would have been any different than we were, but I think retreat could have been a little more friendly and not presented with threats of fines. Just my opinion and not an official opinion of my corps or staff.

As one of the DM's for SoCal Dream, I think I can partially answer your question.

When the awards were finished, we were told by the powers running retreat to go back to our corps and immediately exit the stadium through the backfield gate. After shaking hands, greeting and congratulating other DM's, we went back to our corps and marched out through the back gate as instructed.

<snip>

I am not saying that we would have been any different than we were, but I think retreat could have been a little more friendly and not presented with threats of fines. Just my opinion and not an official opinion of my corps or staff.

I concur with Bob. Carolina Gold was pretty disappointed as we had planned to play "What is Hip" before trooping the Champions.

With the elimination of the American Legion awards and all the extra awards of the last few years, there really is no reason corps cannot be allowed to play a tune (in place or on the move) and then troop the champs. This is one area where tradition matters, and we need to encourage the DCA powers that be to bring it back in 2007.

last year was my first year back since 1987, and the first retreat I participated in since 86 when we played for the Bushwackers. No one told me beforehand that we would not play off, so it was a total disappointment to me when we just turned around and bolted for the exit.

Let's do a better job getting the corps back on the field, get through the awards as quickly as we did on Sunday, and let us do a proper exit.

While I enjoyed the streamlined 2006 version of DCA's retreat, I think it's important for all corps to "pay their respects" to the new champion. Somehow. I used to have the Honor Guard 'present arms' to any corps that was announced a caption winner, or who bested our corps in total score. I liked the way corps used to march off playing their music to the champs, but honestly, that did make retreat last a l o n g t i m e . Is there some middle ground somewhere? Maybe the 2nd place corps could be allowed the honor of playing to the Champion. :)

last year was my first year back since 1987, and the first retreat I participated in since 86 when we played for the Bushwackers. No one told me beforehand that we would not play off, so it was a total disappointment to me when we just turned around and bolted for the exit.

Let's do a better job getting the corps back on the field, get through the awards as quickly as we did on Sunday, and let us do a proper exit.

I didnt stick around after the awards were presented because I didnt see anything going on the field.I knew the real party was going to be in the parking lot so that is where I headed.

Sorry I missed the Govies show but I got to get my face blown off by the Renegades and Corpsvets.

Hope The Govies will forgive me. :)

No one told me beforehand that we would not play off, so it was a total disappointment to me when we just turned around and bolted for the exit.

I totally agree, it was just a bit of a let down, you know? At the very least maybe we could have all just marched off to a tap or something.

And as some one else mentioned in here, it was a bummer to not acknoledge the '06 Champions...seems almost a bit sour, I guess. Yeah it would take along time, but they did elminate the extra awards...which is just another let down at that (shrugs off the posibility of the "Best Pit" award). Ah well. I think these types of cuts although a stab at our love of tradition do show how much DCA has grown that they NEED to shorten the program. And Growth is really special for our activity.

Sorry I missed the Govies show but I got to get my face blown off by the Renegades and Corpsvets.

Hope The Govies will forgive me. :)

Of course we'll forgive you for missing the victory concert, those lot concerts are something nobody want to miss. Now missing Class A Finals... that's another story. :wink: :wink:

Edited by Stoli

Those of you who would like for this to be changed should post your request in the thread asking for feedback!

As a corps director, I know that there are a number of corps that want to leave ASAP after finals, and they consistently lobby for a shorter retreat. Me, I like a short retreat, but I love playing as well.

Those of you who would like for this to be changed should post your request in the thread asking for feedback!

As a corps director, I know that there are a number of corps that want to leave ASAP after finals, and they consistently lobby for a shorter retreat. Me, I like a short retreat, but I love playing as well.

Agree with ALL.

Bring back the "Pass in Review" to retreat!!!