• Some aspects good, some bad-overall positive
    • Some aspects good, some bad-overall negative
    • Severely flawed, concerns need to be addressed
    • Tis a silly place, lets not go there again

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey.... watch it, pal. Rutgers is 2-0, and Lord willing and the creek don't rise, will be going to a 2nd straight bowl game this year.

Not exactly the second coming of Bear Bryant or whatever, but hey.... we long-suffering Rutgers fans have to take what we can get while the gettin's good!!!!!!!

Seriously.... aside from the fact that the Rutgers football team opens at home some years, on Labor Day weekend, I understand that the Rutgers University administration is VERY reluctant to allow drum corps, marching bands, etc. to use the Rutgers Stadium field. That's unfortunate, since the stadium, IMO, would be a great drum corps venue.

Fran

Holy COW another Rutgers alum?? I did my graduate work and taught there. Indeed the Scarlet Knights are in the top 30, 2-0 and headed to another bowl this year. NYer Brian Leonard is a Heisman candidate. About 1/3 of the team is from Florida BTW;-)

Rutgers Staduim is way too big IMO. Wouldnt Yurcak Field(lacross and soccer) be nice and intimate?

Seriously.... aside from the fact that the Rutgers football team opens at home some years, on Labor Day weekend, I understand that the Rutgers University administration is VERY reluctant to allow drum corps, marching bands, etc. to use the Rutgers Stadium field. That's unfortunate, since the stadium, IMO, would be a great drum corps venue.

Fran

They may be reluctant, but I remember doing a show there a few years ago

I heard the same rumor,......................I think with two NFL teams having a home at that facility, would make its availability for the entire weekend a longshot,................but maybe I'm wrong,............

My wife marched in the Meadowlands with the Iowa Hawkeye Band in 1992 for the kickoff classic and says it's a horrible rumble mess. If you give everybody 15 db earplugs it'll probably work just fine.

I have to give a big two thumbs up for the turf. I don't belive I've had the opportunity to march on that specific type, but I've been aware of it for a number of years through my rugby admin duties and had been very curious about how it would be to march on it.

I have to give a big two thumbs up for the turf. I don't belive I've had the opportunity to march on that specific type, but I've been aware of it for a number of years through my rugby admin duties and had been very curious about how it would be to march on it.

I agree!! For years now I've said that my favorite is the old fashioned, completely flat astro turf. But this stuff was the best!! It is like that fake grass stuff with one major difference: It's firm!! No sponginess!!! Maybe it's because it's a soccer stadium. I'll bet football players prefer being tackled on a softer surface.

They may be reluctant, but I remember doing a show there a few years ago

Scott, I believe that was before they built the new stadium. I marched there in 1982 (National Dream contest that year)

with Sunrisers at the old stadium. The new stadium is a whole lot better than that old one. So's the football team. :)

Fran

Holy COW another Rutgers alum?? I did my graduate work and taught there.

Hi Mike.....

I tried to return your e-mail but it kept bouncing back for whatever reason.

Anyhow..... I finished about 2 1/2 years worth of credits at Rutgers from 1976-1980... didn't graduate from there. I finally finished my degree at a college here in Baltimore last year.

So I'm a Rutgers "almost alum"..... I guess. B)

Youre right, that soccer/lacrosse venue at Rutgers is real nice, but I think too small for DCA Championships right now.... only about 3,000 seats or so. Might be good for a regular-season show!

Fran

My wife marched in the Meadowlands with the Iowa Hawkeye Band in 1992 for the kickoff classic and says it's a horrible rumble mess. If you give everybody 15 db earplugs it'll probably work just fine.

Ahhh yes... I remember the days of marching at shows in Giants Stadium. Every year, the mantra from our staff: "Make sure you get those horn angles up, over the wall, or the sound will just come bouncing right back at you!!!!!"

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

the vendors along the fence were better priced and the Labatts tallboys were a bargain

Yeah, but, directly across the street was a "Bodaga" that sold $.50 Beer. Labatt's Blue tall boy was $1.35. Sure beats $4.25 - $6.00 at the stadium.

Just a short jont across the street, in-between corps, and you can get 50 cent beer! Tommy Matzcak and I can't wait until next year!!