Hello from a not so old Blue Devil

After watching the show on ESPN2 the other night, I figured there had to be a forum for drum corps (now a days there's a forum for every thing..) and sho nuff there is! Thanks DCP.

My name is Jerry Matthews. I marched Blue Devils drum lines from '78-'86. See, that's really not that long ago :P

As many of you have said, Drum Corps has changed my life. It really has. I didn't continue in the music or marching side. But I married the most wonderful person I could have ever been blessed with because of DC, Crystal Rhodes. We just celebrated our 15th anniversary and more than 20 years of being together. We have three awesome kids that keep us happy and busy all the time (two girls and a boy :D ). Who knows if our children will ever step foot on a marching field? But I do know they are a product of something that will forever be saccred to us. We live in Spring, TX, just north of Houston.

It's fun to see the changes that have happened since marching. One in particular would be all the media that is available now. We used to go back to the gym after practicing before a show to watch what would be considered pre-historic VHS videos of rehersal. They were grainy and jumpy, but if lucky you could see the main points. The sound of any recording other than professional was horrid.

I look forward to maybe talking to some old friends. And also seeing all the excitement that is DC!

B) Check ya later

Edited by xtremedad

Jerry - a sincere WELCOME to DCP - you are one of those who "paved the way" for Drum Corps today - and hope you can find a home here - lots of discussions about lots of things (and not always about drum corps but that's what makes this site so great!).

Congrats on your happy marriage and life - I'm insanely jealous!

Jerry,

I doubt you will remember me as we probably only met once or maybe twice. My wife, Ginger (Hodges), marched with Crystal in Houston Nighthawks and then they went their seperate ways, Crystal to BD and Ginger to Spirit where they each met their future husbands, you and I.

We've stayed active in the DC arena as my profession and her part time profession (Band Director and guard instructor.... she's also a math teacher) led us to do so.

I know Crystal and Gin have touched base once or twice over the years, but I know that Ginger would love to catch up and see pics of your kids etc......

Drop us a PM through this site with your email addy and I'll be sure to put the two ladies in touch. Glad to hear you are doing so well and hope Houston is good to you and your family.

Take care,

Later, AA

Thanks for the welcome y'all B) It's soo funny to open the memmories of such a great time in our lives. Now I just need to hit the recall button on all the finner memmories of names and years b**bs . Thanks for the link to the BD forums cire. I will definetly be getting on them to connect as well.

Alan, I am telling Crystal about your response. I remember Ginger from when Crystal would talk about the Nighthawks, as well as meeting her more than once.

RobH, I can't say I paved any ways, but I loved drummin' for Scott and Tom. They were/are the ####! It was always a blast.

Edited by xtremedad