yes, you're incorrect.

Cris, Sun was definitely on later than 9 that morning in 1994. Prelims didn't start untl 10 AM those years. And Sun was not the first corps on.

So.... 10-ish?

On the other hand.... 9 or 10 AM... doesn't make much difference. It's still very early!

Fran

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have seen that video from 99... poor Sunrisers were having buckets of water thrown on them almost... didn't even seem to phase them though. :)

We performed a few times in the rain this year, but never conditions as bad as DCA Prelims. Yes, it was difficult during the warm-up period prior to performing. But, once we were on the field and the show had started all of that seemed to disappear. With all the time each corps invests in rehearsing the show, I'm not surprised that most are able to put out a good show despite the conditions. We were rehearsing on Friday well into dark. Little did we know that it was to prepare us for not having lines on the filed on Saturday!

And for the love of GOD, please stop telling me how glad you were to suck it up and perform in that crap, because it has nothing to do with making things better; that's status quo thinking. As a paying fan I want to see changes for the better; NOT, it is what it is and we aint gonna change it cause it aint broke, cause if you were a real fan you would have stuck it out in the rain like the marching members... bla bla bla... yadda yadda yadda.... crap . That attitude will beget less paying fans in the stands.

I'm glad YOU are just a fan and not a member of a corps because you would be a real bummer to march with.

I was GLAD to march in the rain.

I was GLAD to have the experience.

I SPENT MORE MONEY THAN YOU to have that experience.

I spent more money on drum corps the last two summers than you did I would be willing to wager.

You know, when you buy a ticket to an outdoor event, YOU ASSUME THE RISK that the weather might be bad. That's just the way it is. You don't have any control over it. You also don't have any control over what happened at DCA and I suspect that's what your biggest problem is, let it go dude and quit insulting the marching members who did their best under the circumstances to put on a good show.

Would I want things to be different if the same senerio happened again? Yes, but without you in the stands, because you are a whiner.

Brad,

Welcome back to drum corps! Glad you had a great time in Rochester.

My personal answer to the idea of adding performances to Sunday would be " No, that would have been a very difficult thing to do with less than 24 hours notice, and could have been an even bigger problem for all concerned."

I spoke with the Head Groundskeeper on Sunday. As it is, he was really concerned about stadium turn-around time between Alumni Spectacular and gates open time for Finals. Add in that it was still expected to rain on Sunday, meaning an additional delay on Sunday might have been needed, the timing of that concept for solution was too risky to consider.

Please remember, hundreds, maybe thousands of all-age fans were in their cars and on schedule to arrive in time for the 6pm start on Sunday. We had no way to reach these people with any last minute change in performance times. Also, the same judging panel would need to have been scheduled within in their same responsibility on the next day under a new set of performance conditions. Consider, too, all of the PAETEC employees, including those other than food & beverage workers. You simply can't reach everyone scheduled and say "Hey, come in 2 hours earlier." Same goes for the Rochester Police Department, shuttle drivers, etc.

What seems to be overlooked here is, DCA opted to resume the event after a 40 minute delay Saturday because the weather maps showed a large window of improvement for the balance of the event. Those who were there should remember, it actually DID clear nicely at the time DCA continued. Little could anyone know, nor control, Ernesto deciding to return about an hour later to the PAETEC neighborhood. During our rainy afternoon, it was actually clear in Syracuse and other places closer to Rochester.

Was Saturday unfortunate and disappointing? Of course. Was the Saturday decision a bad decision? That's not so certain.

Don't know if this is already in place, so apologies in advance....

In, of all places, a disaster planning meeting, I thought it would be helpful if DCA negotiated with a local radio or television station to be the 'voice of DCA championships', not only to plug the events, but to be the single, designated point of public information for any changes, updates, or extreme situations.

In public safety we rely heavily on key media to distribute information to the masses and select groups. We also employ the same thing for local special events (updates on the event schedule, traffic situations, delays, etc.). voice spots, screen trailers, etc. It wouldnt necessarily have to be one of the big outlets either. Just one that covers the city and is accessible to the interested.

Edited by lipsprain

I'm glad YOU are just a fan and not a member of a corps because you would be a real bummer to march with.

I was GLAD to march in the rain.

I was GLAD to have the experience.

I SPENT MORE MONEY THAN YOU to have that experience.

I spent more money on drum corps the last two summers than you did I would be willing to wager.

You know, when you buy a ticket to an outdoor event, YOU ASSUME THE RISK that the weather might be bad. That's just the way it is. You don't have any control over it. You also don't have any control over what happened at DCA and I suspect that's what your biggest problem is, let it go dude and quit insulting the marching members who did their best under the circumstances to put on a good show.

Would I want things to be different if the same senerio happened again? Yes, but without you in the stands, because you are a whiner.

Im trying to determine from your post what you think was accomplished by holding prelims in those weather conditions. Youre yelling at him yet he stayed and watched prelims. Hundreds of people did not. They certainly didnt get anything out of it. And you dont want him in the stands? Nice! . If youre that hot to show how great you are maybe we can arrange for you to always play in hurricanes with no fans watching. There are too many people here and lurking that are legends in their own minds and want to pat themselves on the back for gutting it out. All of us performed to the best of our abilities because we had to and thats what we worked for all season. Me I like fans in the stands, I like nice conditions, and if it is at all in the control of an event organizer, then I think thats what they should always shoot for.

If there was no other choice then hey those are the cards we were dealt and you handle it. But please can all you supermen out there stop saying how special you are for doing what you had no choice but to do anyway.

I am glad the show went on. I wouldn't have it any other way. I played the show, fracked the solo a bit because my lips were numb and mouthpiece was full of water, my uniform and feet were soaked, etc. But I lived through it, as did everybody else that was marching with me! Would I have chosen that weather? NO! Did I have a great time anyway? HECK YES! The warmup was miserable, but once the show started it was business as usual and the weather didn't matter. I was never concerned about safety. There was no lightning and the field wasn't the least bit slippery. And really, are tornadoes even possible in 55 degree weather? I thought not, but maybe I'm wrong. In any case, tornadoes are extremely unlikely in cold weather.

I was really glad the show wasn't cancelled. Consider those conditions the doughnut on the baseball bat. After performing in those conditions, the finals performance was a piece of cake! And really, I would hate to perform in finals without having been in the stadium before.

Here is something I have always held to be true. I have been to MANY outdoor events from rock concerts, sporting events, and of course drum corps shows. It ALWAYS says the same thing on the ticket: RAIN OR SHINE!!! That is a risk you take when you purchase the ticket. Tickets are never refunded. It would not be financially possible to hold these events if they were required to refund thousands of tickets because of an act of god. As with almost any outdoor event, the show is not cancelled unless there is lightning or tornadoes. When I got on the field, I was not upset by how few people were in the stands. I actually felt pumped up by the fact that those fans did stay in their seats to watch us! Those people are hardcore! And if you decided to stay sheltered during the bad weather, that is your choice and I respect it. You are the ones who bought your tickets, so it's up to you. But don't tell the fans and performers who still wanted to have the show that it was a bad idea. You still got to watch finals in good weather, so why do you care if prelims were cancelled or not? It happened! We did the show! After all we went through it just doesn't seem right to tell us we shouldn't have done it.

My only real regret is not having an audience there to hype on.

That is my one disappointment with the weather. I just wish for a lot of our rookies that they would have gotten a chance to play in front of a large crowd. There is an experience missing for some of these people that I wish they would have gotten.

I am certain DCA will work the kinks out for 2007. Now only of DCA could convince Rochester to keep stuff open over this weekend ( I can only eat so much BBQ :P )

Edited by KiltieBD3

I am glad the show went on. I wouldn't have it any other way. I played the show, fracked the solo a bit because my lips were numb and mouthpiece was full of water, my uniform and feet were soaked, etc. But I lived through it, as did everybody else that was marching with me! Would I have chosen that weather? NO! Did I have a great time anyway? HECK YES! The warmup was miserable, but once the show started it was business as usual and the weather didn't matter. I was never concerned about safety. There was no lightning and the field wasn't the least bit slippery. And really, are tornadoes even possible in 55 degree weather? I thought not, but maybe I'm wrong. In any case, tornadoes are extremely unlikely in cold weather.

I was really glad the show wasn't cancelled. Consider those conditions the doughnut on the baseball bat. After performing in those conditions, the finals performance was a piece of cake! And really, I would hate to perform in finals without having been in the stadium before.

Here is something I have always held to be true. I have been to MANY outdoor events from rock concerts, sporting events, and of course drum corps shows. It ALWAYS says the same thing on the ticket: RAIN OR SHINE!!! That is a risk you take when you purchase the ticket. Tickets are never refunded. It would not be financially possible to hold these events if they were required to refund thousands of tickets because of an act of god. As with almost any outdoor event, the show is not cancelled unless there is lightning or tornadoes. When I got on the field, I was not upset by how few people were in the stands. I actually felt pumped up by the fact that those fans did stay in their seats to watch us! Those people are hardcore! And if you decided to stay sheltered during the bad weather, that is your choice and I respect it. You are the ones who bought your tickets, so it's up to you. But don't tell the fans and performers who still wanted to have the show that it was a bad idea. You still got to watch finals in good weather, so why do you care if prelims were cancelled or not? It happened! We did the show! After all we went through it just doesn't seem right to tell us we shouldn't have done it.

Get it Evan! (Am I still allowed to say that?) And I knew at some point a midwesterner would chime in with some tornado wisdom...way too cold for a twister that weekend!

Sorry I missed you after finals, I had to blow some faces off in our parking lot concert. Maybe next year ;)

ya know.. they could move the event away from the east coast.....

senic Racine Wisconsin comes to mind..... about 30 min from six flags... and about 45 from Blarney Island... which is a wonderful place to visit..

Just a thought...

See how my suggestion to the same got shot down in another 'bring all comments and ideas' thread.