Ahh, drum-corps machismo. Gotta play in the worst conditions. Have to put up with abusive, arrogant instructors. Must continue to play for short-sighted promoters that would be run out of any legitimate entertainment company. Hmm.

It was RAIN.

It wasn't acid falling from the sky, or large falling rocks. There was no danger to anyone performing or in the audience. It wasn't even all that windy. The conditions were less than idea, sure....but they weren't so bad that DCA should have cancelled or postponed the most important show of the year.

Thankfully, the vast majority of performers just took the conditions as an opportunity to succeed.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or a circumstance to rally around and have the best performances of the year.

Please, people... get real.

i love how the people that are #####ing about the rain and the whole weekend ISN'T the people who actually MARCHED!

if you dont want to be there in the rain or muck STAY HOME!..easy as that.

and im sure the person that said they waited out tornados and had a standstill i am guessing that it wasn't CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND! please people get real with your comments...we all dealt with the weather and made it work...enough said.

I am certainly NOT complaining. I was in the rain ON THE FIELD warming up ALLIANCE when we were hurried off the field for the "Tornado Warning". That is what we were told and some of the guard said they heard the sirens going off. What was so bad was that we really wanted to perform then.... not after the hour plus delay. The members were frigid cold from standing around soaking wet and then had only 20 min to get back on the field and warm up to perform after the hiatus was over. That was the toughest part of the afternoon.

Next year we'll be more than ready for ANY weather after last weekends events! Bring on the SNOW!!!! lol

MCL has hit heavy rain twice this year and has had to do the show twice.

I say,,

Is that all you got???Bring it on....... :) :)

I hope there is a show in Kansas next year with Tornado warnings all over the place..

Bring it on!

It was RAIN.

It wasn't acid falling from the sky, or large falling rocks. There was no danger to anyone performing or in the audience. It wasn't even all that windy. The conditions were less than idea, sure....but they weren't so bad that DCA should have cancelled or postponed the most important show of the year.

Thankfully, the vast majority of performers just took the conditions as an opportunity to succeed.

I would beg to differ with you on the wind part. When we, Lakeshoremen, started our closer all #### broke loose. There was some pretty serious wind on the field at that time.

Sorry you weren't feelin' the love Saturday WGM.

The fact that I knew there were hundreds of my drum corps family out there sucking it up just like I was helped keep me going thru that nasty stuff.

For the record, no part of western New York, or anywhere within 60-90 miles of Rochester on that Saturday, was under either a tornado warning or severe thunderstorm warning at any time on Saturday. I heard a rumor of a tornado warning before leaving the hotel and immediately called my friend Tim, a certified meteorologist. There were no warnings of any kind of that nature.

Be that as it may, wow, the weather sure did stink. But it was rain and wind gusts, no lightning, no tornadoes.

I was going to mention that. We had 4 computers (3 for DCP and one for the Cabs) in the pressbox on the NWS, Weather.com, and Accuweather and there were no warnings, and we even heard this rumor too. I went right away and checked all the sites for it since I knew it couldn't have been true.

I think someone probably heard a Fire Siren somewhere and thought it was a tornado siren. We don't have tornado sirens. (though there was actually a tornado about 1 mile from where I now live outside of Buffalo this summer...)

Sorry to sound like a stick in the mud.... Class A prelims did not start until 2:00. How long was the Alumni performances total? Would it have not fit in the morning slot say from 9-1 (thinking of worst case scenario)? Yeah it is not the best idea but considering the torrential rain I would have voted for that option. Drum Corps ALL DAY LONG.. sounds great to me!!!!

you have to allow for time between shows to readjust things, as well as allow for the field crew to do anything they need to do.

all 3 shows in one day is unfeasible.

sure, occasionally, DCA has been burned by weather. but i still dont see an area outside of the NE that can guarantee that kind of crowd.

The weather was out of anyones control for DCA Prelims. However, the fact that certain corps were not notified by DCA to remain at their hotels until the schedule could be determined (I.E. Tornado warning in effect) while other corps were notified does bring up a question of consistency and fairness by DCA itself.

Additionally, the Paetec stadium was and still is a work in progess (I.E. An unfinished luxury box/viewing area for appropriate judging personnel) that begs the question of what DCA was thinking when they selected the site for the 2006 DCA Championships. Discussions have occurred on Drum Corps Planet as to the suitability of the DCI Championshipd in Madison in 2006. Paetec nor DCA were ready for the realities of the 2006 championships (I.E. An unfinished Paetec facility, and lack of forsight on DCA's part to properly plan for all contingencies including weather related issues). If the Alumni spectactular was more highly valued than the DCA Championship prelims then DCA needs to revisit the underlying philisophical reasons for holding the competitively scored portion of the DCA weekend. By being flexible enough to modify the schedule and move the Alumni spectactular indoors DCA would have allowed all participating groups to perform without comprimising the scored Drum Corps component.

All performing Drum Corps, competitive and alumni, would prefer to perform on the traditional open field venue, but leadership would demand that modifications be made where appropriate and necessary.

I believe that DCA will greatly improve the overall experience at the upcoming 2007 Paetec championships given proper reflection and discussion with all of the involved parties. If the phtographic and videographic professionals pull the plug on an event as they did at the DCA Prelims, then it might be a good indication that the weather has become unsuitable for competing Drum Corps to perform in.

Hopefully, this thread can piggy-back on the previous DCA thread asking for feedback and discussion of the DCA Championships. I am very supportive of the overall DCA experience and hope to see the activity flourish and continue to grow in both performer's and fans.

Can't wait to see what 2007 brings for DCA !!!

in reality Rochester won cause the other bids pulled out.

hershey..well, we know what happened there, and NC pulled out because they had more stadium revisions planned.

so, Rochester won.