Forget about A/OC & CF...

Marc66

I think the issue you'll have here anymore is time. I know there is a certain point as to when they have to be out of the stadium, giving enough time to get 1000 people off of the field, allowing for a victory concert....I just don't see how this can work anymore. I'm assuming that retreats are starting later now than they used to. If i'm wrong please correct me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the issue you'll have here anymore is time. I know there is a certain point as to when they have to be out of the stadium, giving enough time to get 1000 people off of the field, allowing for a victory concert....I just don't see how this can work anymore. I'm assuming that retreats are starting later now than they used to. If i'm wrong please correct me.

I don't know why retreats would be later? Finals has always had 12 corps.

It actually seems to take MUCH longer at finals to get the corps off the field in the "new" way. As someone else said it's both very anti-climatic and unprofessional looking.

I know they won't do it during the main season :( but they could and should do it that way at finals.

It is a matter of time, however, time mangement is more important !!

Why do some shows have an intermission anyways. The corps shows are three minutes shorter than they used to be.

If you have eight corps at the show and you start at 7:00 pm, you have plenty of time and you have the trophy award presenters by the field before the end of the last corps, you're done retreat by 10:30pm. !!

But this is in a perfect world of course !!! :tic:

OK...

I've seen the arguments for America/O Canada...

I've seen the arguments for Champions Fanfare...

Frankly, I think they should do away with both and bring back REAL RETREATS...let the corps play themselves off the field with their corps song, or part of their show.

REAL RETREATS..."There not just for us old-schoolers anymore!!!"

OK gang...give the universe your thoughts...

Yup. No complaints from this party for that suggestion. :)

If I remember correctly (and I'm not saying that I do), the orginizers of the smaller shows were complaining that full retreats were hurting them. I'm not sure what their reasoning was, but DCI apparently accomodated them and went with the "Drum Major only" format. I'll admit that back when I marched I used to like that format because I didn't have to remain in uniform for the duration of the show, but now that I'm a spectator I hate it.

From the shows I've been too, "retreats" actually start earlier now...and, it takes about the same amount of time to get the drum majors on the field, along with the corps (singular or plural) playing AOC or CF, then which ever corps is doing the victory concert, as it would to get the entire lineup onto the field and have a victory concert (at least within a few minutes)....

Like I said in the original post, I think it's time to bring back full retreats...

There should definitely be a retreat at finals, regardless of what they do anywhere else. Beyond that, I think it should be done at every major show (aka "Regional").

I would prefer it be done at every single show, but apparently today's drum corps are afraid of dealing with the time involved in putting on the same show they used to. Aren't ticket prices higher than they were when you got a full retreat as part of the show? Effectively, that means you're getting less for more. What a deal.

There's no real reason to NOT have a full retreat at Finals. As a paying customer, the whole "Drum Corps, you are dismissed", or whatever is said, is extremely anti-climatic and unprofessional.... especially when Brandt Crocker has to remind the corps repeatedly to leave the field.

::shrug:: I like it. I wouldn't mind some of the other events being changed, but I'm happy with the current situation. Considering it's FINALS NIGHT, after all the shows are already performed and the scores are already announced, I don't really care what the fans think of the way we get off the field. We already play a song en-masse, and in my opinion, the ability to see friends in your and other corps on the field in uniform for the last time, is more emotional than playing a song and leaving. I guess I haven't experienced it firsthand so I can't really say what that'd be like, but I'll just leave it that I'm happy with finals retreat now (minus CF).

I guess I haven't experienced it firsthand so I can't really say what that'd be like, but I'll just leave it that I'm happy with finals retreat now (minus CF).

You shouldn't discount it just because you haven't experienced it. As someone who had the opportunity to experience it, it was a tremendously emotional time, and we still had the chance to see our friends in other corps, albeit in the parking lot...and, as for what is played, there are many corps who played their corps song - most of the time facing the champion in tribute - and this just added to the emotion and excitement.

And, on finals night, the age-outs would leave their shoes (as a symbol of leaving a piece of them forever on the drum corps field) with notes summing up their careers in drum corps...I remember seeing some of those and, I still get chills (and with the new format, the leaving of shoes is no longer allowed)...

I have no doubt you're happy with finals retreat as they currently are, but you should talk to some of us who experienced it the other way...believe me...it's something that truly embodies the drum corps experience.

::shrug:: I like it. I wouldn't mind some of the other events being changed, but I'm happy with the current situation. Considering it's FINALS NIGHT, after all the shows are already performed and the scores are already announced, I don't really care what the fans think of the way we get off the field. We already play a song en-masse, and in my opinion, the ability to see friends in your and other corps on the field in uniform for the last time, is more emotional than playing a song and leaving. I guess I haven't experienced it firsthand so I can't really say what that'd be like, but I'll just leave it that I'm happy with finals retreat now (minus CF).

Mentioned this in a similar topic recently -- but there has GOT to be a way to incorporate both. Why can't there be a SHORT time for corp members to mill around and say goobye, visit, etc and then return to their corps, line up and play themselves off? Still plenty of time in the parking lot, etc for more goodbyes. Drives me crazy that after a whole summer of discipline, staying on schedule, following directors orders, etc., it all ends up with incessant and repeated pleas from Mr. Crocker to "PLEASE leave the field for the champions' encore ...." Why can't there be time for the kids, and then time for the audience and respect for the champions? I guarantee you that all that could be accomplished in the same time (or less!) than the current mishmash. Extra bonuses -- more dignified and more music !!!!