Forget about A/OC & CF...

Marc66

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the issue you'll have here anymore is time. I know there is a certain point as to when they have to be out of the stadium, giving enough time to get 1000 people off of the field, allowing for a victory concert....I just don't see how this can work anymore. I'm assuming that retreats are starting later now than they used to. If i'm wrong please correct me.

When Finals was broadcast live on PBS, the show ended at 11 PM. That's the announcement of scores then closing credits and such. After the broadcast concluded, the corps would then play themselves off, and the champion performed the encore. The show is now over at 10:30, and retreat, if managed as effeciently as it was when we had the live broadcast, would be over less than 10 minutes later. How did we manage to make it work for decades when the show ended later than it does now?

And I'm gonna throw out another idea. Once Championships are in Indianapolis, what is the reason for starting Finals in the evening? If we are inside, we are not really concerned with performing under the lights - everyone will be able to do that regardless of what time the show starts. Rather than end that late at night, why not start the show earlier in the day (like 3:00 PM), get over early(7:30 PM), allow sufficent time for a full blown retreat and encore (usualy takes about an hour and a half, so thats 8:30 PM), and even give everyone time to go out afterwards for a late dinner at a real restaurant (no stadium food - YEAH!!!), drinks, party, or whatever?

Mentioned this in a similar topic recently -- but there has GOT to be a way to incorporate both. Why can't there be a SHORT time for corp members to mill around and say goobye, visit, etc and then return to their corps, line up and play themselves off? Still plenty of time in the parking lot, etc for more goodbyes. Drives me crazy that after a whole summer of discipline, staying on schedule, following directors orders, etc., it all ends up with incessant and repeated pleas from Mr. Crocker to "PLEASE leave the field for the champions' encore ...." Why can't there be time for the kids, and then time for the audience and respect for the champions? I guarantee you that all that could be accomplished in the same time (or less!) than the current mishmash. Extra bonuses -- more dignified and more music !!!!

Amen and amen. And as a TEP of a "smaller show" ... our fans loved retreat and stayed in the stands for it ... now ... some do ... some don't stay ... but they've let us know that they do NOT like the new format ... There's not the camaraderie ... or the spectacle of all of the corps lined up on the field under the lights.

We've asked that retreat be brought back at all shows ... we had chills and goosebumps and teary eyes at finals in Madison as we saw each corps come onto the field ... and we remembered that when our sons marched that every show ended with retreat and with each corps saluting the champion ...

Some things bear repeating ... PLEASE ...

I agree that we need full retreats back. Especially at finals.

Surely we can give a few minutes of time to acknowlege those individuals who are fortunate enough to "age out" in a top 12 corps.

"Drum corps you are dismissed" strikes me as a bit insulting. (Kinda like they are saying: "We're done with you now - Please go away. But keep spending money on DCI shows and merchandice.")

I agree that we need full retreats back. Especially at finals.

Surely we can give a few minutes of time to acknowlege those individuals who are fortunate enough to "age out" in a top 12 corps.

"Drum corps you are dismissed" strikes me as a bit insulting. (Kinda like they are saying: "We're done with you now - Please go away. But keep spending money on DCI shows and merchandice.")

I agree..That is exactly the impression I've been getting the past few years. Slam Bam Thank you Mam.!. Most of the first time people that attend the shows could care less about who got high drums, guard or brass. They are paying good money to see a show with the co;lor and pagentry They should leave a stadium talking about the massed corps and combined finale. This has not been happening, and the concern seems to be focused on staff members wishes rather than the paying public! This activity needs more friends, but with the inbred attitude that seems to be prevailing throughout management of this activity. It does not seem that this will bring more fans into the stadiums.. Chop and hour off seven hour rehersals every day !

I would love to see full retreats at shows. However, there may be other things that play into the current situation. For example, I wonder if there is a longer distance from show site to show site now. Longer distances mean more road time, and I'm sure some corps like having the extra time to leave a site because they didn't have to "suit up" for the retreat.

I can see an abbreviated retreat during a show that happens during the week because of it being a work night for a lot of the paying public. Perhaps it would be a cool thing to bring back full retreats on the Friday and Saturday shows, and compensate for the time commitment by starting the weekend shows earlier (say, 6:00?). Wouldn't that also cover the regional shows as well as Finals?

I was at the Bluecoats home show last summer. During the retreat time they arced up and did "Autumn Leaves" and it sent chills through me. I wondered then about how much history has been lost because a lot of today's drum corps fans have never heard Madison do "You'll Never Walk Alone" live, and we all know this is just one example. I know they are now based in Alabama, but what fan would NOT give just about anything to hear Spirit play "Georgia"?

I guess that could be a thread of its own - what would be the coolest retreat song from your favorite corps? Honestly, I think Phantom could pick almost anything they've done and it be a hit, although I would be very partial to "Amazing Grace"...................

Go back to the REAL RETREATS and give what I think some of the people in the stands might want

Fixed :)

Honestly people, no matter what the issue is, presuming you speak for anyone but yourself is wrong in every way possible.

What is also weird,

age out ceremony on friday,

then you perform again on saturday,

I believe it would be impressive to the AGEOUT to really leave their items on the field the night of finals

I have been at finals on the field the past 5 years, not as a performer or staff.

It does seem that DCI is in a hurry to end the event.

The best time I ever had was in the Denver airport after finals (04) hundreds of corps kids talking to each other,

even helping in the understaffed burger king restaurant,

200 customers against 2 employees.

what a night

If I recall, one of the arguments for doing away with retreat was that corps would be able to pack-up and leave the contest site immediately after their performance, rather than being forced to wait for the competition to end. However, as I've wandered around the parking lots after the shows I've attended these last two retreatless years, most, if not all, of the competing corps were still there at night's end.