Forget about A/OC & CF...

Marc66

Go back to the REAL RETREATS and give the people in the stands what they want.... full value for their money.
Fixed :)

Honestly people, no matter what the issue is, presuming you speak for anyone but yourself is wrong in every way possible.

Speaking for myself, I want value when I go to a drum corps show !! :lol:

Bring back retreats, dang it !! :wub:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else of note, is the lack of information provided by the announcers at these shows " now on the field, The Cavaliers" thats it , nothing else. One of the reasons that people leave the stadium (especially first time attendees) is because they are not informed of any procedure or chain of events at these shows. The best and most informed announcer in drum corps (in my opinio\n) is the show announcer at Glens Falls N.Y., who provides a short history of the corps , and informes the audience of what is going to happen..

All Tour and Event Partners (formerly known as show promoters) are given access to write-ups on every corps in the show. These write-ups, intended for the individual show program booklets, start with a paragraph or two on the history and development of EVERY corps before getting into a short blurb on what the show is about and what the corps is playing. I know this because I write these things up for every corps, junor and all-age, that appears in a DCI show during the summer. This is made available several weeks prior to the beginning of the season. Photos are also supplied for each corps.

Every show I've ever been to makes use of this material, either in a souvie program booklet (often an ad book) or by reading the material over the PA system, or both. But the material is made available to the Tour and Event Partners. It's up to them how they choose to use it.

I don't really care what the fans think of the way we get off the field.

Whatever happened to the saying "Look good all the time"

And what is the difference between milling around on the field talking to people and milling around in the parking lot talking to people? I'll tell you what the difference is, when you are milling around in the parking lot you aren't taking away from the time the champions earned for an encore. It's ridiculous that some corps have to be told by Brandt Crocker multiple times to leave the field and it seems like a couple of them try to have a competition to see who can be the last off the field.

The champions have earned the use of the field, playing a song for them out of respect and congratulations is MUCH classier than milling around for 30 minutes eating up the time they have earned. In the past there have been corps who almost didn't get a chance to do their encore because of a noise ordinance (and didn't get to play their extra songs in an arc because there wasn't enough time, just the show)

There's no real reason to NOT have a full retreat at Finals. As a paying customer, the whole "Drum Corps, you are dismissed", or whatever is said, is extremely anti-climatic and unprofessional.... especially when Brandt Crocker has to remind the corps repeatedly to leave the field.

Amen. I understand the argument for doing away with them at regular season shows, even though I miss them very much, but they really need to go back to the full-blown old-fashioned retreats for Finals and for the major regionals. No ifs, ands, or buts ... that's all there is to it. It used to be an important part of what you paid to see when you went to a show ... now it's just a lame letdown.

P.S. Maybe you're just trying to be a netcop, but don't kid yourself, Morgoth ... do you really think that the vast majority of the fans wouldn't prefer each corps playing their signature tune and trooping past the champion in an orderly and elegant way versus a drum majors only retreat or the chaotic cluster #### we have at Finals?

Edited by Orpheus

Whatever happened to the saying "Look good all the time"

And what is the difference between milling around on the field talking to people and milling around in the parking lot talking to people? I'll tell you what the difference is, when you are milling around in the parking lot you aren't taking away from the time the champions earned for an encore. It's ridiculous that some corps have to be told by Brandt Crocker multiple times to leave the field and it seems like a couple of them try to have a competition to see who can be the last off the field.

The champions have earned the use of the field, playing a song for them out of respect and congratulations is MUCH classier than milling around for 30 minutes eating up the time they have earned. In the past there have been corps who almost didn't get a chance to do their encore because of a noise ordinance (and didn't get to play their extra songs in an arc because there wasn't enough time, just the show)

WORD! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

OK...

I've seen the arguments for America/O Canada...

I've seen the arguments for Champions Fanfare...

Frankly, I think they should do away with both and bring back REAL RETREATS...let the corps play themselves off the field with their corps song, or part of their show.

REAL RETREATS..."There not just for us old-schoolers anymore!!!"

OK gang...give the universe your thoughts...

I might be inclined to agree.. but NOT until we can have full stands from beginning to end of the show.. that means being in your seat -- no excuses -- when the smallest, crappiest Div III corps hikes out onto that field and plays their average age 8 hearts out for a stadium which is usually just full of empty benches for them.

Until we support ALL divisions with our on-time attendance -- not buying our tickets and asking "when do the DI corps start?" so we can plan our commute -- we have no right to demand a return to full retreats.

Maybe we need to get all our priorities straight before we can start making any kinds of demands... until that happens, I say we let the kids get out of uniform, get a little cleaned up and get a bite to eat before they get on the bus rather than making them stand out there for an extra hour just for our enjoyment.

Stef

Gee, Steph...

No need to get defensive. I agree, but you're also talking about a totally separate issue. And, while I think having a full stand of patrons for every corps would be the best thing (especially for the kids who are forced to go on while the sun is still shining)...and, I for one, make it to shows for the National Anthem, there are folks who choose not to see D-III...

I don't happen to agree with those who choose not to see the "smallest, crappiest Div III corp" but it's their individual choice...and that has nothing to do with this issue about retreats.

Fine and dandy.

But lets get rid of this argument right now:

"I want FULL VALUE for my money!"

You ARE getting "full value" for your money.

You know what the show will consist of, and you buy a ticket. There is no bait and switch here. If you bought a ticket and suddenly something was missing that you were promised...THEN you wouldn't be getting "full value".

I might be inclined to agree.. but NOT until we can have full stands from beginning to end of the show.. that means being in your seat -- no excuses -- when the smallest, crappiest Div III corps hikes out onto that field and plays their average age 8 hearts out for a stadium which is usually just full of empty benches for them.

Until we support ALL divisions with our on-time attendance -- not buying our tickets and asking "when do the DI corps start?" so we can plan our commute -- we have no right to demand a return to full retreats.

Maybe we need to get all our priorities straight before we can start making any kinds of demands... until that happens, I say we let the kids get out of uniform, get a little cleaned up and get a bite to eat before they get on the bus rather than making them stand out there for an extra hour just for our enjoyment.

Stef

We better not find a cure for AIDs until we find a cure for cancer!