Definitive Performances of Drum Corps Standards

As has been noted in the various 2007 program threads, there are a lot of pieces that get recycled. Instead of bemoaning it, let's celebrate it. Pick a couple of DCI standards, and then state which corps/year had THE definitive version.

Strawberry Soup--Hands down, Madison '83. Basically, it was the 82 arrangement on steroids, but a smoking drum line gave this puppy some serious kick. The Blue Devli's '93 performance really didn't do anything for me.

Appalachian Spring--Garfield Cadets '87. Though, in all fairness I have to give an honorable mention to SCV '82, for no other reason than the stunning, organ-like balance in the beginning.

Edited by jthomas666

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been noted in the various 2007 program threads, there are a lot of pieces that get recycled. Instead of bemoaning it, let's celebrate it. Pick a couple of DCI standards, and then state which corps/year had THE definitive version.

Strawberry Soup--Hands down, Madison '84. Basically, it was the 83 arrangement on steroids, but a smoking drum line gave this puppy some serious kick. The Blue Devli's '94 performance really didn't do anything for me.

Appalachian Spring--Garfield Cadets '87. Though, in all fairness I have to give an honorable mention to SCV '82, for no other reason than the stunning, organ-like balance in the beginning.

Great post.

Actually, I'd go with BD '93 (which I'm sure you meant), and Crossmen.....ah. Thought you meant Appalaching MORNING there, haha. Yeah, I'll agree with you in that case, even though I'm not much of a fan of the piece in general myself.

I'll go with Crossmen '95 for the piece First Circle, over BD and some other corps.

Great post.

Actually, I'd go with BD '93 (which I'm sure you meant), and Crossmen.....ah. Thought you meant Appalaching MORNING there, haha. Yeah, I'll agree with you in that case, even though I'm not much of a fan of the piece in general myself.

I'll go with Crossmen '95 for the piece First Circle, over BD and some other corps.

Children of Sanchez - North Star 79. By far the best of a late 70's, early 80's standard

Strawberry Soup--Hands down, Madison '84. Basically, it was the 83 arrangement on steroids, but a smoking drum line gave this puppy some serious kick. The Blue Devli's '94 performance really didn't do anything for me.

You mean 83 Madison, which was 82 Madison on steriods, vs. 93 BD - right? :P

You mean 83 Madison, which was 82 Madison on steriods, vs. 93 BD - right? :P
Yeah, sometimes I'm chronologically challenged. :laugh:

Oh, let's see:

Malaguena - Madison Scouts 1988, many props to the Cadets in 2003 for a fantastic version, and perhaps the best actual performance of this tune.

Autumn Leaves - Bluecoats 1988

Fanfare and Allegro - SCV 1984

Appalachian Spring - Garfield Cadets 1987 (Perhaps the Quintessencial drum corps show of all time)

West Side Story - Garfield Cadets 1984 (another true classic that will never die), with honorable mention to the Sky Ryders 1987

Strawberry Soup - Madison Scouts 1982 (I liked this version better)

The Planets - The Cavaliers 1995

Firebird Suite - The Cavaliers 1988 (nice horn line that year, great show)

The music of John Rutter - The Cavaliers 1989, Gloria

I think we have to nominate the 1979 Blue Devils for everything they played, and I have pretty much not heard any of those tunes performed better or with better arrangements.

Russian Shows - SCV 1987, although 1986 was fantastic.

Phantom of the Opera - SCV 1988, again, 1989 was great, but 1988 was the standard

There are more, but these are just a few.

Great post.

Actually First Circle was played by Xmen in '98, but BAC did play it in '95. Metheny has become synonymous with the Crossmen IMHO. To quote "The Spy Who Loved Me", "Nobody does it better."

To echo T-Mac, I think that there are certain shows that should simply not be attempted again. Anyone else trying them again just do not do them justice.

Star - Medea - 83

Phantom - New World - 89

SCV - Russian show - 87

Cadets - Appalachian Spring - 87

Medea: Star of Indiana '93, no real need to try to duplicate.

Same thing with New World Symphony: Phantom, '89, 'nuff said.

Oh, yeah, Madison '99 Jesus Christ Superstar. Great stuff!

JCS - I would say Argonne Rebels in early 70's - absolutely amazing what they could do w/ v/r G bugles.