Definitive Performances of Drum Corps Standards

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appalachian Spring - Garfield Cadets 1987 (Perhaps the Quintessencial drum corps show of all time)

West Side Story - Garfield Cadets 1984 (another true classic that will never die), with honorable mention to the Sky Ryders 1987

Agreed on Cadets '87 as perhaps the quintessential show. Ditto for West Side Story though I'd give the nod for "Somewhere" by itself to Cadets '90 - one of the great ballads of all time.

And for those who'd say no one should attempt a tune because someone once did it well, you're missing the point. This thread shows it's possible to improve on perfection. Or if it doesn't show that, it shows that honest people can disagree on what's best. So why preclude the possibility that the best idea, the best performance is yet to come?

HH

Malaguena-Madison 81. The 88 version is a definitive arrangement, but the 81 corps was absolutely on fire, and remains the best park and blow ever.

Niner-Two - 27th Lancers 1981. (Good year, hah) An epic production, unlike anything attempted before.

Fanfare For the New-Argonne Rebels 1973. Hysterical, considering how good the hornline is and the fact that the bugles back then were made out of Scotch tape and old national Geographics.

I guess Garfield owns just about evrything Bernstein (although I like Sky Ryders' WSS better than Garfield 84.)

Malaguena-Madison 81. The 88 version is a definitive arrangement, but the 81 corps was absolutely on fire, and remains the best park and blow ever,

Bah! I'll see your Madison '81 and raise you a Blue Devils '84 playing La Fiesta. THAT was the best park and blow ever.

Edited by Kamarag