Who Will Be the Next 1st-Time DCI Champiom

Very interesting read indeed.

Guesses for who is next?

The obvious choice is Bluecoats. After that, not really sure. Perhaps Boston. Regardless, I think it will be a long time before we see a new one again.

I'm going to pull for Oregon Crusaders based on their consistent rate of improvement and they're in my town. :tongue:

Really fun read from 7 years ago!

My pick would be one of these two:

Bluecoats are on the brink if they hit a home run in show design and revamp the visual program.

Boston Crusaders put out a much more mature and challenging show this year. Guard has been phenomenal for 3 years, the drums were great this year, and the brass isn't too far behind. I think they're starting to move in the direction of breaking back into the top 6 again personally, it wouldn't surprise me to see them keep moving up.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that: a) This question was first posted in 2006 and it took until 2013, a whopping seven years, for it to become a realization; b) it was Crown, a member of the G7 which became the next first-time winning corps; and c) the most probable corps in the running anywhere in the foreseeable future is the remaining G7 corps the Bluecoats.

As far as corps in the Top 12 now, I would say either Bluecoats or Boston Crusaders. Bluecoats did not seem to have too many ageouts and they could make that jump. BAC has grand plans to move to that next level and since it's a long term plan, it could happen. Keep in mind both corps are on the underrated lists of many people.

As far as cops not yet in the Top 12, I would have to say Oregon Crusaders, especially of the make finals within the next two years.

When this thread originally started, people predicted The Academy. I probably would have said the same thing at the time. We have to get them in finals first, but I would wonder if we'll see a stronger Academy next year.

It seems the common belief is that Bluecoats or BAC are the consensus contenders, barring a meteroric rise. Have there been any other instances of a meteoric rise like Star of Indiana's run? Or does anyone foresee any other corps that could make that kind of run?

Whoever ultimately is correct with their assumption, please let me know. I'll keep you in serious consideration when filling out my next Lottery card (of which I do with about once-every-15-year regularity). Sorry...please accept this with the healthy dose of friendly sarcasm and whimsy in which it was intended.