Not good...not good

The same thing happened to DCE, except it was a slow death.

The big corps would be around in early June, but wouldn't have completed shows. By the time the show was finished they would be off to the south or midwest. Then they would come back between tours do a championship and maybe one or two other shows.

The little corps needed a couple of "headliners" at each show to make a go of it. With those corps on tour they were hung out to dry.

A large number of those defunct corps came from the east and died off either from trying to keep up with the big boys or from lack of support if they stayed close to home.

The DCI tours had a lot to do with this BUT the corps themselves made the decision to tour.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, I do remember the season failed to draw audience without the top Div. I corps.

No, it didn't "fail to draw audience". DCM, with less corps and less shows, drew less audience. As I understand it, the audience was in proportion to the product DCM offered; the books still balanced; and DCM completed the 2004 and 2005 seasons "successfully".

I don't want this thread lost to another off-topic DCM bash-fest, but I won't stand by and let people characterize drum corps circuits as "unsuccessful" for no other reason than failing to outdraw DCI division I. This activity can be done on a smaller scale, you know....

So....the key problem seems to be money ($$) not interest, or fan base, or opportunity. My question:

Where does all the Money go!?

Members pay dues to thier corps

the corps pays dues to DCI

the fans pay money to see the show

DCI Pays to rent the venues

Am I missing anything? If so please tell me.

DCI is something to be compared to that of professional competition. But we can't call it professional 'cause the members don't get paid for thier achievements.

I know that YEA! Is a non profit organization and all, and i'm assuming that most (if not all) of the other corps are non profit as well. I know NOTHING about the financial commitment of different types of businesses, so i'm gonna go out on a limb....

non-profit=no profit? yes/no?

Could an organization/drum corps exist as a regular business? and actually make money? Invest in socks?

i'd like to think so......would you?

Where does all the Money go!?

Members pay dues to thier corps

the corps pays dues to DCI

the fans pay money to see the show

DCI Pays to rent the venues

Am I missing anything? If so please tell me.

Hm...I think #2 on your list is actually reversed. DCI pays the corps to appear in shows. It would seem strange for the corps to pay "dues" to DCI only to have the money given back. So, I would guess that a large chunk of the revenue that DCI pulls in goes to the corps themselves, and then they have to pay their own operating costs (it takes money to make money...), salaries, etc. Marketing and show promotion certainly seems like it would be a big chunk too.

As far as the corps go...I think it is obvious where their money goes: gas, insurance, food, staff salaries, equipment (in some cases), investments, etc...

M

No, it didn't "fail to draw audience". DCM, with less corps and less shows, drew less audience.

How is this not saying the same thing?

As I understand it, the audience was in proportion to the product DCM offered; the books still balanced; and DCM completed the 2004 and 2005 seasons "successfully".

I don't want this thread lost to another off-topic DCM bash-fest, but I won't stand by and let people characterize drum corps circuits as "unsuccessful" for no other reason than failing to outdraw DCI division I. This activity can be done on a smaller scale, you know....

So, if DCM was "successful" as you say...they'd still be doing it right?

I guess it's all in what the definition of successful is. Let me ask you this...with less corps and less shows...DCM was growing in audience? In number of participants? Or just in "balancing their books? Because I can spend nothing...make nothing...do NOTHING and balance my books. In the end...accomplishment is zero.

And I am not totally bashing DCM. For a long time, DCM accomplished good things. It just outlived it's purpose.

This is on topic. There are fewer drum corps today than 10 years ago. DCMs departure was part of that. Still...I've been to DCM events where with no admission fee...in Waukegan, IL, they failed to draw attendance. Kilties were the headliner with all the rest Div. III corps. So having the "right" show...with enough of the "right" corps does make a difference.

So I would argue it has less to do with the number of corps, but more with the quality of the corps that make up a show, circuit, division, etc.

I think the world is going to end.

~>conner

Would it be fair to think of DCI as the NFL?

Whats the difference between the two orgaizations now? besides season length

What's stopping DCI and the Drum Corps Community from taking the next level?