Not good...not good

People have written about 'corps-jumpers' who only want to march with the 'best.' Don't we, who have "been there and done that," have an obligation to teach those new to the activity, about loyalty and dedication? Shouldn't we instil the philosophy of "the rewards of building a championship calibre corps" as opposed to just taking the easy route of jumping aboard ship of an already established corps?

While I might agree in theory -- I think a bigger (or at least more immediate) issue is not the "corp-jumpers" but rather what happens to the 300 people who try out for Cavies (for example) and don't make it? Do they go to other corps or do they sit out entirely and try again next year? This is the lost potential that could support many more corps at all levels.

Look at MLB for example. Players "team jump" looking for a championship all the time. Everyone wants to play for the Yankees and show no loyalty to their old team by jumping -- happens all the time. But the guys who don't make the Yankees don't sit out a year -- they play for whoever because being in MLB at all is the goal -- playing for the Yankees merely the icing on the cake. This is (edit: one reason) why baseball (and all sports, really) have been able to expand, while drum corps is not.

This is the attitude that needs to be spread. Marching with any corps is the goal -- marching for a Div I Top 6 is merely the icing.

(Edit -- I realize that MLB players are professionals and make millions of dollars no matter where they play, so the analogy isn't perfect by any means. Just trying to raise a comparison to make a minor point :) )

Edited by Liam

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike D- I was not leaning toward placing the blame on DCI for the fact that we now have a hundred corps now, as opposed to the hundreds we once had. I was merely sharing my opinions that ALL PARTIES to decisions made, own a responsibility for the ultimate consequences of those choices. My parents raised me to accept responsibility for the choices I made. I raised my kids the same way.

And while I agree that true loyalty comes from within the individual..... When we teach our young people about life, don't we establish guidelines and boundaries to help them to understand what it is we are wanting them to learn? Loyalty CAN be learned. And drum corps IS about teaching.

Are you actually saying that the 1972 Kingsmen, 1973, Vanguard, 1974 Vanguard, 1975 Scouts, 1976, Devils, 1977 Devils, 1978 Vanguard, and 1979 Devils would have a hard time beating todays top 9 division II corps?

Judged by a 2006 DCI judging panel per today's rules and standards, yes. (Thought that would get someone's attention!)

Then why do people 'blame' DCI for the non-existence of DCM and the GSC using negative terms?

You'd have to ask them yourself.

Personally, I cringe whenever the word "blame" works it's way into one of these threads. The declining number of corps and the disappearance of circuits is a complex matter - no one single factor is solely "to blame". Several of us on this thread believe we know of one or more pieces to this puzzle (including yourself). We point out our correlations or cause/effect relationships with the intent to learn and improve things - not to "blame". Maybe some people miss the distinction between those two attitudes.

• 4 weeks later...
I like pork.

Pork is not a verb :P

Keep the fingers crossed that january is a positive month with no more corps going inactive.

As it is now, we are about two corps away from not having a quarterfinal on thursday.