Not good...not good

What corps are currently having financial difficulties? Please elaborate.

I was getting very upset looking at what Happened to ECJ recently, Phantom Regiment with their debt still to pay off, the Troopers and Kiwanis, recently with Phoenix a few years ago folding as well.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was getting very upset looking at what Happened to ECJ recently, Phantom Regiment with their debt still to pay off, the Troopers and Kiwanis, recently with Phoenix a few years ago folding as well.

What do you know about these corps and their financial problems ??? :worthy:

Too many corps are going down these days, the numbers are getting smaller because of financial difficulties.

Is it just me or is this topic tough to get a handle on? OP, you need a little more direction with the post to get something going (other than a goof fest). I do have a sense of what you are trying to say, that corps are folding and closing up shop, but I just don't see it. More healthy corps are getting started. And with all due respect, from what I know of Phoenix they were a DIV 3 corps in the Garden State Circuit (NJ), hardly a DCI powerhouse going defunct and more of a Mom and Pop corps that decided to call it quits.

Every year, the number of competing corps decreases. Should that trend continue, we would eventually reach zero. For those who ridicule the OP, what makes you think this is not a problem?

This trend is the continuation of what happened throught the 70's, 80's, and 90's, where the mom and pop style corps couldn't keep up in the changing economy. We are still shedding the weak members of our "litter", and as sad as that is--to see corps fold--ultimately we are moving towards a core group of organizations that have solid buisness plans and strong leadership. Those are the types of organizations that will be successful in the future. The task of putting together, funding, insuring, managing, designing and teaching a drum corps is becoming more and more difficult and requires every increasing levels of funding, management skill and business expertise. It is this "corporation" drum corps that will survive and thrive in today's mega-coporate economy.

Look at the rise of national retailers and how they push the mom and pop operations out of business. Is there still a place for mom and pop businesses/corps? Yes...but it is not the same as in the past and they must adapt to the new economy or risk becoming extinct.

Hopefully, the trend of diminishing numbers will stabilize soon, and hopefully we will see the slow and gradual build of the number of corps...corps with solid leadership, ample funding and strong plans.

my $.02

M

Over the years the loss of junior corps could be somewhat offset by the creation of new ones, but the junior corps scene in 2006 saw only two new corps...Vision Elite and Chippewa Valley Brigade, and only VE competed on the field.

The true problem today is that there is not nearly enough new growth to compensate for the yearly erosion.

<Putting on Flame Proof Suit>

That's the problem when the Top 12 of Div I corps are getting such a great percentage of DCI publicity. Too many people don't realize that there is a revolving door with the smaller corps coming in and going out. Unfortunately there have been more corps going out than coming in.

And sorry OMello, that stabilization may occur when we get down to Top 12 only. It sure as Hades hasn't stabilized in the last 40 years.

<Putting on Flame Proof Suit>

That's the problem when the Top 12 of Div I corps are getting such a great percentage of DCI publicity. Too many people don't realize that there is a revolving door with the smaller corps coming in and going out. Unfortunately there have been more corps going out than coming in.

And sorry OMello, that stabilization may occur when we get down to Top 12 only. It sure as Hades hasn't stabilized in the last 40 years.

Well, I think you may be right about that. But I think there are more than just 12 organizations that have strong leadership, funding and a smart business plan (I think a corps can be successful without ever competing for a top-12 spot). And I agree that DCI focuses too much on the top 12 in their marketing and exposure. But we must also consider that DCI should put their money into marketing those organizations that make DCI look the best and bring in the most money. They have to invest their marketing dollars wisely...but the neglect of Div. 2 & 3 and the bottom half of Div. 1 may have long term negative effects that could work against DCI down the road.

M